Menu

Can we do a recipe thread?

Slache

I want new recipes. I'm bored.

We are looking for Asian, African, Middle Eastern, Cajun, Central and South American in particular, but honestly we just like food. Thanks for your input!

Oh! And bonus points for slow cooker goodies and casseroles.

• Like 2

I can't get the link to work but Chipotle Chicken Corn Chowder on the Brown Eyed Baker blog is one of my new favorite recipes.

Skinnytaste.com has lots of great recipes too. I like her Beef, quinoa, and potato stew. It has a South American flare.

• Like 2

We love koshary.

Chilaquiles are easy and have lots of variations.  Take a stack of corn tortillas, tear them into bits, and let them dry overnight or dry them in the oven till they're leathery (not crispy).  There are lots and lots of different sauces you can make, but an easy one to start with is blending tomatoes, a hunk of an onion, a couple of cloves of garlic, and a bit of salt, then frying that in a bit of oil.  Fry the tortillas bits in oil, drain, then top with the sauce.  You can do this in one bowl and let everyone serve themselves, or put the tortillas on separate plates and top with the sauce. You can add cheese or chorizo or beans if you like.  Instead of the tomatoes, you can use tomatillos for a green sauce.  Or, even better, use both and have the chilaquiles be white and red.

There are a million different rice pilaf recipes from Central Asia.  Here's a very basic vegetarian plov, the way I make it.  Rinse 2-2.5 cups of rice (I prefer a good parboiled (but not minute) rice, but I think basmati is too wimpy for this) and let it sit in a strainer while you prepare the other ingredients.  I rinse it again once or twice to loosen up the rice.  In a large skillet, heat some oil- a lot is yummy, but you can choose, then add one chopped onion and fry it for a few minutes, then add 2-3 julienned carrots, 6-8 whole unpeeled cloves of garlic, and a couple of chopped tomatoes.  Stir-fry that for about 5-7 minutes, then add the rice and some salt.  I also add turmeric, cumin, coriander,black onion, and cayenne, but the spices are really flexible.  In some places they don't add any.  Stir that around, then add enough water to cover the rice by about 1/4 inch, turn the heat to high, and boil for a couple of minutes.  When the water is just below the level of the rice, cover the pan, lower the heat all the way, and let it sit for at least 30 minutes.  If you're lucky, you'll end up with a nice crust on the bottom of browned but not burned rice.  After 30-35 minutes, remove from the heat, take off the lid, and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.  I serve it with carrot salad cucumber salad or a really simple salad of chopped tomatoes with chopped, peeled, and seeded cucumbers and some sliced onions with a bit of salt.

Here are some sweet tamales that I've been making recently:

12 corn husks, soaked, rinsed, and patted dry

1/3 kilo (3/4 lb) fresh masa
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/4-1/2 cup coconut milk, depending on your masa

Pecans or other nuts
Sugar
1 chocolate tablet, chopped or bashed with a rolling pin

If you're going to do the crockpot, get it ready first.  Put a steamer in the bottom, or poke holes in the bottom of a pie plate and shape it so it fits in your crockpot.  If you use a pie plate, you'll need to set it on top of something (like a teacup, maybe) so there's room for water underneath.  Pour in boiling water till it's just below the level of the plate or steamer, then turn the crockpot to high and cover while you get the tamales ready.

Combine the masa, salt, sugar, and 1/4 cup of coconut milk, or a little more to get to a spackle consistency.  If you add too much, don't worry.  I do that too and it works fine with something that's more like thick batter.  Beat for at least 5 minutes till the dough is light. 

Spread the 12 corn husks out on the counter with the non-ridged side up (the masa will stick to the ridged side if it touches that).  Divide the dough between the corn husks and spread it evenly on the top half (the wider part) of each one.  Don't quite go to the edges, but you can get within half an inch.

For the pecan ones, sprinkle a little sugar down the middle of 6 of the tamales, then top with chopped nuts- about 5 per tamale.  For the chocolate ones, divide the chocolate among the 6 tamales.

Fold the edges of the tamales together to create a roll, then fold up the bottom half where there wasn't any dough and place them in the crockpot, open side up, to cook for 3.5-4 hours.  Don't peek for at least three hours.  You'll know they're done when you pull one out and open it and the masa doesn't stick to the husk- the tamale will just roll out (unless the filling oozed a bit- that'll always stick).

If you want to steam them, it'll take about an hour and 15 minutes, or maybe longer.  Check them as above.

Here are some giant baked Mayan tamales.

Bibimbap is really easy if you can get some gochujang.  It's a red pepper paste that's usually sold in a red tub in Asian groceries.  Cook a big pot of rice, then the paste with some soy sauce and vinegar, and saute a selection of meat, vegetables, and eggs for toppings.  I like julienned carrots, greens, bean sprouts, and zucchini.  You can use tofu instead or skip the meat entirely.

Kichree is super easy:

4 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp cumin seed
1 cup rice, rinsed
1 cup red lentils, rinsed
1 tsp salt
Crushed red pepper
2 Tbsp tomato paste
Yogurt

Dump everything in a large skillet, saute a bit, and add 4 cups of water.  Bring to a boil, then lower the heat all the way and cover and cook for 45 minutes.  When it's cooked, mash the garlic and stir everything together. Serve with plain yogurt. This is based on a recipe from The Book of Jewish Food by Claudia Roden. It doesn't look very appealing but it's simple and good.

• Like 2

Sorry, Slash.  I'm more of an "experimenter" vs. a "follower of recipes."  I'll have to try to remember some favorites when I'm not riding herd on the short person. 

Cool thread, though! :drool5:

Yo tambien. I'm doing my once a "month" cooking thing in 2 weeks and I'm collecting ideas.

• Like 1

Something that's really popular in our house is BBQ chicken made on the stove top with either potatoes or rice.

We make this http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/one-skillet-bbq-chicken-potato-dinner-55501.aspx, and we use this for the sauce (yes homemade sauce!) http://www.simplyscratch.com/2011/09/homemade-barbecue-sauce-part-1.html

• Like 1

This doesn't fit the cuisines you listed, but I found this recipe today. Someone made it for my family once, and it was delicious!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/fusilli-with-sausage-artichokes-and-sun-dried-tomatoes-recipe.html

I made it and when I do it again, I'll follow the advice to use 12 ounces of pasta instead of 16 to pack more flavor.

I discovered a new food blog this week, and can't wait to try out some recipes:

http://www.lottieanddoof.com/

If you want an amazing roast beef that you can serve with potatoes and gravy, and make excellent sandwiches with the leftovers, THIS is my new favorite recipe:

http://www.afeastfortheeyes.net/2011/01/slow-roasted-beef-cooks-illustrated.html

For freezer cooking, this would mean seasoning the roast before wrapping and freezing. It cooks slowly, so you have to be home, but hands-on time is minimal; just sear then put in the oven. Use the second temperature that she calls "medium" for a roast that's tender and pink throughout. I buy the double packs of top round roast at Costco and prep them both at once. You need a meat thermometer, but this recipe is a real keeper and supplies my family with a great dinner and sandwiches for a few days.

• Like 1

Here's one that I love b/c it is super easy and clean eating! 3 Ingredient Teriyaki Chicken. I can serve it with organic rice and steamed broccoli and dinner is served. 

Another favorite is a Mexican dish my dad copied after eating something like it at a restaurant. Again, super easy and my whole family loves it. 

Santa Fe Rice and Beans

1 pkg Spanish rice (I use yellow as my family prefers that)

saute green peppers and onion and mix into rice

Add one can corn (drained) and 2 cans black beans (rinsed/drained) on top. 

Top with green chili sauce (see below) and shredded cheese. 

Bake at 350* for 15 - 20 min until cheese is melted and heated through. 

Green chili sauce: combine 1/2 pint sour cream and small can green chilis. 

Super easy and a meatless meal that satisfies and fills my kiddos up.  I serve it with tortilla chips. 

• Like 1

If you want an amazing roast beef that you can serve with potatoes and gravy, and make excellent sandwiches with the leftovers, THIS is my new favorite recipe:

http://www.afeastfortheeyes.net/2011/01/slow-roasted-beef-cooks-illustrated.html

For freezer cooking, this would mean seasoning the roast before wrapping and freezing. It cooks slowly, so you have to be home, but hands-on time is minimal; just sear then put in the oven. Use the second temperature that she calls "medium" for a roast that's tender and pink throughout. I buy the double packs of top round roast at Costco and prep them both at once. You need a meat thermometer, but this recipe is a real keeper and supplies my family with a great dinner and sandwiches for a few days.

I bookmarked this exact recipe to try sometime. I'm glad to know it's as good as it looks!