Menu

FLL- do you continue with the series or use something else?

Rebecca

We are finishing up FLL 2 this year. FLL has been a great fit for our family. My first grader is using level 1.

I am wondering if I should just continue on to FLL3 or if I should switch to something else...

like Rod and Staff and would I go into level 3 after FLL 2?

What have you done?

Thanks,

Rebecca

We used FLL 1/2 and I LOVED it. I bought FLL 3 and we tried it for a while, but honestly, it just wasn't a good fit anymore. My dd was not ready for diagramming. I wanted something that didn't continue to pile on the grammar--I wanted something that would allow her to use the knowledge she had already and become more and more confident with it.

So, I bought Growing With Grammar 3. She and I both LOVE it. With FLL, we did the lessons together from start to finish. With level 3 that got really frustrating. With GWG, you go over a few pages together that explains the topic, then the child does the workbook to reinforce the lesson. She can do it on her own. It really has been a great choice for us.

I still think that FLL 1/2 is great, and I know many children would do fine with FLL 3. But it just wasn't for us.

I am wondering if I should just continue on to FLL3 or if I should switch to something else...

Well, FLL3 is different than the 1&2; you'll want to print off samples and look through it to see if will be a good fit for your child -- that is how I decided between FLL3, Rod and Staff and GWG. It has been a good fit for us, even though ds says he doesn't like it. It takes us 20 or so minutes to complete a lesson, which is about twice as much time as FLL2 took, so you may want to consider that. There is writing involved.

For me, I like that it's got my bare minimum requirement of copywork, dication, narration, poetry and addition to grammar. It helps me to have one resource cover a couple different areas.

Thank you!

I did look at the samples. But I didn't print them off...

How would you define the difference? Just that there is more writing?

It seemed to me to follow the same pattern as the prior years- just the next level up?

I appreciate your input!

Thanks,

Rebecca

They are different in that with fll 3, the student follows along in his workbook as you read him the scripted lesson. As you go along, there are exercised to do that mostly involve, underlining, circling, diagraming, with really a minimum of writing. Like fll 1/2, there are optional extra practice items at the end, as well as dictation sentences.

Rebecca,

They are similar in tone and feeling and the variety of exercises (with reminders to review poems as in the first book). The biggest difference is that the student has the workbook. For diagramming, for example, they've scripted out questions to ask of the student as they figure out verbs, then subjects, then direct objects or predicate adjectives, then adverbs and adjectives,etc. You, as the teacher, guide them through this process.

HTH!

Thank you!

That clarifies! That is what I thought...from the samples.

This program seems to really work for us. I like the idea of the workbook... we have been using manuscript paper with FLL 2.

I think we will use FLL 3 and the new writing program next year. I looked at those samples as well.

Thanks so much,

Rebecca

With both of my children, we did FLL 1/2, then moved to R&S 3, which we did orally, for the most part.

We switched because FLL3 wasn't available at the time.

It was a rather difficult transition because it took me awhile to find our groove. R&S is very different. It's not scripted. It's written for classroom use, and includes tons of writing. It took me awhile to be comfortable skipping much of the oral drill, and just doing the "Written" exercises orally, or on a white board.

That being said, R&S is a very rigorous program. I'm not the least concerned that my kids will have any "gaps". It truly covers everything. And, I like the way it builds on the concepts from year to year (we're currently doing levels 4 and 6).

I haven't seen FLL3, so I can't comment on it. If it's working for your dc, why change it?