Menu

Any tips on buying a teen their first car?

J'swife

Dd is 17 and almost has enough hours for her license.  I drove her back and forth to work last summer and she's starting work again (seasonal work for a green house) It's only about 5 miles away, but I am SO ready for her to get her license.  I am afraid a car won't be too far behind.  We can afford something under about $2-3,000.  Any tips on finding something reliable?

Network with friends who've bought used frequently. DH has a good friend at work ho re-builds cars for a hobby, and has helped several co-workers spot great deals on used cars. Get help if you can. Also, we're going to be splitting the cost of a used car with our 18 year old. I feel strongly about him having an investment in this purchase, even if it's only $1000$1500. Once he gets it, insurance and gas will also be his responsibility.This is the only way we can afford it with 5 sons who will be driving! Insurance is astronomical!

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry as much about the cost of the car as what the cost of her insurance is going to be.  I sell insurance and if you have as many drivers as cars and one of the drivers is a new driver, you are going to be paying ALOT of money.  Your daughter will have to be rated as a primary driver and she is probably going to get inexperienced driver surcharges on top of a higher premium for the vehicle she is rated on.  Just my .2 cents!

• Like 1

We bought our daughter a 2003 Impala.  Dh is a former mechanic, so he is pretty savvy on what condition a used car is in.  It is old and kind of ugly, but it is large enough that we feel better about her safety.  It came pre-dented and scratched, so there wasn't the fear of putting a ding in it (which WILL happen and already has for her).  

Insurance didn't go up nearly as much as I thought it would.  Being a girl helped I think.

I wouldn't worry as much about the cost of the car as what the cost of her insurance is going to be.  I sell insurance and if you have as many drivers as cars and one of the drivers is a new driver, you are going to be paying ALOT of money.  Your daughter will have to be rated as a primary driver and she is probably going to get inexperienced driver surcharges on top of a higher premium for the vehicle she is rated on.  Just my .2 cents!

Question, if your child is buying their first car and getting their license at an older age than 16, does that still apply?  My 21yo ds is JUST getting his license next month and has enough to buy a nice used car. 

1. Have her put money in, too. Every single friend I know who had to put money in took better care of their car than those that were just given one. I have one friend that was told her parents would match whatever she put in. She took that to heart, worked hard, saved hard, did a lot of research on sturdy, long lasting , safe used cars and made a great purchase. She took great care of that car and drove it for years. She said doing the research herself and putting in her own money really matured her and helped her cherish and appreciate having her owN transportation.

2. Pretty much everything said upthread.

• Like 2

Ditto on having the kids invest a little something, either toward insurance/gas or purchase price. My sister had her cars, yes carS, handed to her and wrecked them all. Only the most recent one, that she bought herself, has been cared for. Our plan is to double whatever our kids have saved* (birthday gifts and holiday $$, babysitting, etc); that will be their first car budget.

* DH wisely insisted we put a max cap on the amount we'll contribute as DS is likely to exploit the offer and save enough for 1/2 a luxury car.

• Like 1

I just wanted to mention that while it's fine if you want your teens to contribute to the purchase of their car, plenty of teens receive their cars as gifts from parents and grandparents and take perfectly good care of them. I think it's unfair to suggest that a teen won't take good care of a car they didn't help purchase.

• Like 3

Unless you have direct personal knowledge of the car's history or are yourself a mechanic, get it inspected by a trusted mechanic. Stick post-it notes on their calendar (or set alarms in their phone- whatever works) to remind them to check oil, fluids, tires, etc.

We are still hurting from a used car purchase that cost us $2000 (yes, THOUSAND) in repairs 2 weeks after we drove it off the lot, and an oil leak later caused the engine to die a horriffic death when Diamond was driving it on one of those bitter-cold days that would freeze a TaunTaun on Hoth. :crying:

You might want to call around to various reputable insurance places once she does get a car.  Sometimes company B is cheaper than Company A for the same coverage for teen drivers/certain cars, etc. but Company A was better for just the parents, etc.  We found that when we added a diesel suburban....one place was way cheaper to add that vehicle than another place for the same coverage/drivers/etc.