Menu

Dr. Hive...Bladder infection vs the holiday weekend

swellmomma

dd15 just came to me, she thinks she has a bladder infection (going lots, painful to go).  Not only is it sunday but of course easter sunday.  I would rather not go to the er if we can avoid it, so I asked her to let me know if she starts seeing blood or if she starts feeling worse. Otherwise we will try and stick it out.  Grocery store in town will not be open again until tuesday, one next town over will be open tomorrow so I can pick up cranberry juice.  Dr office not open until tuesday due to easter monday tomorrow.  Right now have her drinking a ton of water to help flush her out.  Any other suggestions of what can help until the dr's office/pharmacy/grocery store reopen?  

Also side question...why on earth do kids always get sick and/or injured on a holiday weekend?

Not sure if they would for a bladder infection but would your doctor call in an order to the hospital lab for a urinalysis and you could just stop in there and drop off a sample and wait for the results?  Then if it is positive, the doctor could phone in a prescription and see her for a follow up later.

I was at the ER yesterday with youngest son... fortunately it was relatively quiet...but it still took 3.5hrs.

Is there any Urgent Care facilities close by?  They might be open tomorrow.   Also, does Amazon do overnight shipping to you?  How about buying some cranberry capsules for tomorrow?    I successfully got rid of a mild UTI using Cranberry capsules, cranberry juice and lots of water.     I mixed the juice with a little bit of real OJ to cut the bitterness.

If there is a pharmacy open tomorrow, you can get AZO Urinary Pain Relief tablets here - they have an analgesic in them for the pain and are specifically for situations like this.

Seconding Jean (though I found a store brand version)----those tablets helped me between the onset of pain and when I could get a Rx.

• Like 1

Thanks folks.  To answer questions, dr's here do not take phone calls after hours, and there is no urgent care in the small town.  It is either get squeezed in at the dr or go to the ER.  I will see about overnight shipping on amazon.  I get the feeling that there sin't given that I am in rural Alberta, but I will check.  I am not sure if the pharmacies are open tomorrow, I have to check again, but I thought I heard they would both be closed,though it is worth checking again.  Mostly living in a small rural town is good, but times like this it is a big pita.

I was going to suggest AZO as well. Walmart carries it. Our doctor suggested it after DD had a bladder infection that was culturing clear but still causing her to feel irritation and urge.  It's not a substitute for care but it helps with the accompanying issues until she can get treatment.  

• Like 2

Hmm. Ask her the pain on a scale of 1-10. Note the number so you can track. Ask her if she's worse, better, or the same as this morning. Is the pain only in the urinary tract or has it over up to where the bladder is?

If you have vitamin C, she can take a lot and it will make her urine more acidic  and make it harder for the bacteria to grow. She should take 250 mg every other hour unless it bothers her digestive tract. The extra vitamin C is water soluble and will come out in her urine. This is a good thing.

Go to the ER immediately if the pain gets over a 6, the urine turns bloody or cloudy (pus), if she develops a fever over 99.5, or if she develops any back pain.

• Like 1

Pain only when she goes and she says it is about a 4.  She said this last trip to the bathroom hurt less, so the ton of water she is drinking it helping (it is probably more water than she has had in a day since camp last summer).  I will check my vitamin cupboard and see if I have vit C left in there for her.  It's already 10pm, and so far not getting worse, so she will likely be fine until morning *fingers crossed*.  I have not had to deal with her having a UTI for a decade.

• Like 2

If the pain creeps up on her, bite the bullet and go to the ER.  Heck, I'd go now anyway, as it can take a while for antibiotics to start helping....I would never ask anyone dealing with a bladder infection to wait to tough it out.  Been there - too painful.

• Like 2

fyi, cranberry and C can make it hurt worse, because the acidic urine irritates everything. BTDT, about killed myself from the pain. Never again. 

Are you sure you didn't actually have interstitial cystitis and not a bladder infection?  The symptoms are very similar but cystitis definitely is worse with acidic foods.  

she was doing better today, she said the pain was down to a 2.  Got her cranberry juice anyway, she hates me now, because she hates the taste but I told her to keep drinking it.  calling the dr tomorrow when they open to get her in for a urine test to be on the safe side. As annoying as it is that it was a holiday weekend, at least it didn't hit worse, or during our time out of town at conference at the end of the week.  

• Like 1

Are you sure you didn't actually have interstitial cystitis and not a bladder infection?  The symptoms are very similar but cystitis definitely is worse with acidic foods.  

You know, now I'm not sure what the culture said. I can't remember. I was pregnant at the time, and I know bladder infections are more common when pregnant. It was awful pain, I had to leave work finally because it kept getting worse (after I kept chugging cranberry). I wonder if cystitis can be an acute thing? I need to look into that, because I've had it happen a few other times now, but at least once it did show up as an infection in a urine sample. But I don't get burning when I pee, my actual bladder hurts. 

That sounds like possible interstitial cystitis. I have that and have about one or two days a month where it's just my bladder that hurts. Taking multivitamins will cause my bladder to hurt a lot. If it keeps up ask to see a urologist.

thanks! I've dealt with intersitial cystitis in cats, lol, but not humans. But you are right, that may be what I'm dealing with. I actually have flare ups from time to time, that coffee and such seem to aggravate. Duh. Well, at least it's not an infection :)

• Like 1