Menu

What is up with sports related rioting?

goldberry

I totally don't understand this.  Our sports team lost (or sometimes won) let's go riot.

It's kind of weird though how much judgment there is when there is rioting over racial issues.  Rioting is NEVER right or productive and only hurts people.  But it is more understandable to me when people are so frustrated over feeling like they will never have justice.  

But when people riot over sports stuff people don't ever have too much to say.

• Like 2

I think sports rioting is far more atrocious than race rioting. Both are behaving badly, in my opinion, but at least one has a fairly justifiable basis, even if the mode is distasteful (I'm a non violence proponent). Sports rioting is absolutely, mind bogglingly stupid.

I totally don't understand this. Our sports team lost (or sometimes won) let's go riot.

It's kind of weird though how much judgment there is when there is rioting over racial issues. Rioting is NEVER right or productive and only hurts people. But it is more understandable to me when people are so frustrated over feeling like they will never have justice.

You mean here on the Chat board? On Facebook? It's so completely inappropriate to riot over a basketball game that I'm not sure what more there is to say. It also happened just last night and today is a family holiday for many people.
  • Like 1

Alcohol

Yep. In most cases you see arrests for public intoxication going right along with it. The ones that aren't drunk just seem to follow the pack mentality. 

I totally don't understand this.  Our sports team lost (or sometimes won) let's go riot.

It's kind of weird though how much judgment there is when there is rioting over racial issues.  Rioting is NEVER right or productive and only hurts people.  But it is more understandable to me when people are so frustrated over feeling like they will never have justice.  

No one attempts to justify rioting over sports.

• Like 2

I totally don't understand this. Our sports team lost (or sometimes won) let's go riot.

It's kind of weird though how much judgment there is when there is rioting over racial issues. Rioting is NEVER right or productive and only hurts people. But it is more understandable to me when people are so frustrated over feeling like they will never have justice.

Yeah, I think the winners riot as much as or even more than the losers. The reaction here in Seattle by Seahawks' fans was more subdued after this year's loss than it was after last year's win.

I can't even imagine the right mix of alcohol, adrenaline, sleeplessness and crowd mentality that would get me to set stuff on fire in the public street. Over a sporting event of all things. There's just no way.

• Like 1