Menu

Dr. Hive - another diabetes question

lewber

So, my husband had some blood work done - for the first time in about 10 years and his fasting glucose was 105, his A1C was 5.7. He has zero weight to lose and he's really fairly moderate active. He's willing to exercise more. He's weird like that :) he does not want to do the finger prick all day though. Should he count carbs? Add fat? Re- test in 6 months and see if his plan is helping? He's 48 and all his other numbers were great. I tested him through medlab so he's not currently seeing a doctor. I sent him because lots of times when he eats a big meal, he naps after. He gets so tired.

Thanks!

Yes, I eat low-carb, high-fat and it has resolved my blood sugar problems without the need for medication. I'd have him try it for three months and re-test, but six months is fine too (I don't think it will take that long to see results, though, if he sticks with the diet consistently).

My favorite book, if your dh is a nerd who likes to know the science behind why this works: http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Science-Carbohydrate-Living/dp/0983490708

If he doesn't want to know as much about the science and wants to just focus on what to do and how to do it: http://www.amazon.com/New-Atkins-You-Ultimate-Shedding/dp/1439190275/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1428242153&sr=1-1&keywords=new+atkins+new+you

• Like 1

From a type one perspective:

The fasting blood sugar is the last one to be funky. If you want you could try a carb loaded meal, and then test blood sugar at hour intervals for 3-4 hours. This would just be less than 6 finger sticks for just the carb load. Any number above 180 would lead me to more tests with a doctor.

And FWIW type one isn't just a condition that begins in childhood. If he is a healthy weight, active, and generally healthy I would not rule out type one. Type one is an autoimmune condition not something that can be cured with eating and exercise habits.

Good luck. I don't have much experience with type 2, but have lots with type one. And they are two VERY different conditions despite the name similarities.

Thank you for your replies. He has not been a very compliant patient today :) his best friend is his doctor and he is advising more exercise. I think I can steer him toward some lower carb breakfasts and dinners as well and then I'll try to get him to re-test in a few months. I'm going to test mine too. I have a feeling I'm in the same boat only I don't exercise and I need to lose about 30 pounds- so in other words mine will not be a surprise.

I really think he'll feel better with the lower carbs, higher fat and protein once he starts that he'll continue. He usually has good willpower.