Menu

At what age do you get wisdom teeth?

Jasperstone

My wisdom teeth came in in my late teens through early 20s. (Teething along with your kid is so odd)

My first one came with my first pregnancy (22), the second with my second pregnancy (26), the third one after they pulled the molar in front of it (because it either needed a root canal or be pulled - 29yo). But, if you google it, they can come at pretty much any age. I don't remember the record for youngest (I think 7 or 8yo?), for oldest it's something like 78yo? Most likely in late teens though.

I had two, both on top.  My bottom ones never came in.  The two that came in were straight but they grew into fangs with nothing to keep them from growing more and I had to have them take out once they started hitting my bottom gums when I ate.

I got them around age 17 and got them out in my 20s.

Most likely that's her 12 year old molars unless she's gotten them already in which case it can be her wisdom teeth.  My niece got hers when she was 11 or 12.  My daughter is 15 and the x-ray shows her wisdom teeth are getting closer to the surface and there's no room so the dentist warned us that she'll be getting them out within the next 12-18 months.  I was 16 when they took out my wisdom teeth.  A lot of my friends were 15-25 when they had to have their wisdom teeth removed.

• Like 1

My two older children had theirs removed around 17-18, before they'd erupted, upon advice of their regular dentist/orthodontist practice.  The DDS we went to told us they aren't really useful for chewing, and are so difficult to keep clean that if you don't remove them when you're young they just sit there and rot until you get them out as an adult.  Of course he's an oral surgeon, so he wants to pull teeth, right?  Well DH has had his "in" for 20 +/- years, and got the verdict a couple months ago that he needs them removed because they are rotting (and causing him discomfort); his appointment is coming up.

My 11 year old is also getting his 12 year molars right now. My 15 year old has his first wisdom tooth cutting through. He will need to have them removed soon. His twin sister is lucky. After her recent xrays we found out she has no wisdom teeth at all. 

I had mine removed shortly after I got my braces off. I think around 14-16 (I have tried to block out the 7 years of braces). I had 2 growing towards my teeth and 2 growing away from my teeth. My cousin (same age as me) had hers impacted at the time so they just removed all 4 at once and called it good. Worst part from what I remember was taking the pain meds when I needed to, and not taking them on an empty stomach. Made that mistake once and it wasn't pretty!! 

I would guess 12 year molars.

My top wisdom teeth came in a couple of years ago but very slowly. The bottom ones are trying to come in now but also very slowly. The dentist hasn't mentioned pulling them. There seems to be room for them and they're literally taking years to come in so he doesn't seem to be concerned about space. Also, I've never had a cavity so I don't think he's concerned about them rotting.

I was 20, and still have them.  No need to remove them because they were 1/2 the size of my regular molars and I had had enough teeth removed for my braces that there was room for them.  dd15 and ds11 don't have any (xrays show they never developed), but molars coming in at 12 sound like 12 year molars not wisdom teeth