Menu

Favorite books for elementary geology

Hakg

We have decided to make science interest-lead this year and I am looking for recommendations for books about geology for DS10.  I would prefer to stay away from earth science programs, and prefer secular books that do not discuss the age of the earth etc. 

I came across this one which is the type of book I am looking for, but again would prefer secular recommendations.

http://www.christianbook.com/the-geology-book-wonders-creation-series/john-morris/9780890512814/pd/51281

If you have used a geology book that has been enjoyed by your DC, I would love to hear about it.

This may be different then you're looking for, but exploring each section could reveal a lot of different books on specific topics at the library: volcanoes (great for history tie ins), earthquakes, tsunamis, tectonic plates, weather and atmosphere and their normal and variant patterns, minerology, rock studies, fossil formation, ocean studies, land formations, if you choose to do earth composition, planet composition, careers for different geologists, etc. sorry it's not specific, just some topics :)

• Like 1

We have been doing earth science/geology this year with library books and some videos. I got lots of ideas from a variety of threads here as well as just grabbing whatever I found on the topic at the library. Some parts of geology are going to mention the age of the earth as billions of years. My son likes the Seymour Simon books on a variety of science topics, especially one called Rock Hounds. We do not have naturally occurring rocks in our area.

Prentice Hall Science Explorer books would be a secular version to the Wonders of Creation book you linked.

We like:
Roadside Geology of __________ (your state there)

rock and mineral guides with lots of good pictures

hiking trails or rock hounding guides for your area

This living book earth science webpage was designed for high school. Some of them would be accessible for an interested 10yo, and the page may give you some ideas for building your course.

• Like 1

Shaping the Earth by Dorothy Hinshaw Patent was our favorite - it's longer and just right for 10 yo.

The Roadside Geologist for hands on stuff.

Thank you! this is exactly the type of book I am looking for.

• Like 1

Thanks - these look great!

Be forewarned... They're dry. Like, beyond regular textbook dry, IMO. But they're definitely in depth beyond most middle school materials, which is nice. And, of course, dry is in the eye of the beholder. I know some people really like them.

Be forewarned... They're dry. Like, beyond regular textbook dry, IMO. But they're definitely in depth beyond most middle school materials, which is nice. And, of course, dry is in the eye of the beholder. I know some people really like them.

oh no! dry wont go down well here.  These seemed a little too advanced, so I didn't end up purchasing.  I did purchase a few of the DK Eyewitness books recommended, but would love to add a few living type books too.  I am interested in Shaping the Earth which you recommended, but cant seem to find it new anywhere.

We added some rock kits to our earth science study.  I think we had 2 kits of 15 rocks each.  There was a booklet for characteristics, classifying, and information about where they are found - along with some experiments.  Kits can be very reasonable - ours were about $15 each or so.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

oh no! dry wont go down well here.  These seemed a little too advanced, so I didn't end up purchasing.  I did purchase a few of the DK Eyewitness books recommended, but would love to add a few living type books too.  I am interested in Shaping the Earth which you recommended, but cant seem to find it new anywhere.

Shaping the Earth is out of print, so you won't find it new. I got it for very little used though. And while my library doesn't have that one, they do have several others by the author that are similar. It's long enough that it's worth buying if you think you might use it. Amazon has multiple copies for a penny plus shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0395856914/ref=sr_1_1_twi_1_har_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429504042&sr=1-1&keywords=shaping+the+earth+by+dorothy+hinshaw+patent

Some of the vintage geographies include quite a bit of earth science.

I'm currently reading Payne's Geographical Nature Studies and really like what I'm reading about slopes and the water cycle. These are perfect lessons for walking in the April showers through the hilly parts of the city. I will be using this.

https://books.google.com/books?id=PMAXAAAAIAAJ&dq=inauthor:%22Frank+Owen+Payne%22&source=gbs_navlinks_s