Menu

Is Kohls always this good with coupons/discounts?

Ottakee

Today I went to Kohls.

18dd got shoes for prom.  Normally $64.99 on sale for $34.99.  Then I had a $10 off $30 or more coupon so $24.99.

19dd got shoes for prom,  Normally $44.99 on sale for $29.99.  Cashier let me use coupon again so $10 off our not quite $30 purchase so $19.99

Then 11 foster ds got swimsuit normally $30 for $10.99 with free goggles, $64.99 shoes on clearance for $17.99, sandals normally $34.99 for $19.99, a longer sleeve t shirt normally $20 on sale for $4 and then his big find of the day, an NFL jersey normally $55 for $5.50...........cashier again let me re use my $10 of 30 or more coupon......so his total bill was like $47

Then she asks me if I want to combine my receipts for the $10 Kohls cash for every $50 spent.  I had different receipts as I have to turn them in for foster ds, 19dd pays her own stuff out of her disability money and then I pay for 18dd's stuff.  I say sure and she combines them and they don't quite total $100 even with tax yet she gives me $20 in Kohls cash.

So, I got to use my $10 off coupon 3 times for $30 off and then got $20 in Kohls cash back on top of the sale/clearance prices.  I know that you NEVER EVER EVER pay full price at Kohls and usually I try to stick to at least 1/2 off but the girls really wanted the shoes.  My foster guy got 90% off his jersey and did good on the rest.

Are they usually this generous?  I thought they might let me use the coupon more than once but I never expected her to combine the receipts on top of that to give me the $20 Kohls cash.  I need to buy bras anyway so it will come in handy.

Just don't try to return anything!!

That's where it all breaks down. I stopped thinking of them as "generous" and started looking suspiciously at anything that wasn't on sale, then a wedding registry disaster means I am unlikely to return, despite the fact that they sometimes have pants that fit me (unlike the rest of the world).

But really, I'm glad you all had such a successful trip!

• Like 5

Yep! And you can also stack the 30% off coupons on that. And you can sign up to get points for purchases. For every $100 spent, you earn $5. Last month, I bought 5 pairs of jeans, 2 long sleeve shirts and a jacket for my ds. I was able to get $20 off plus 30% off plus earn kohls cash. I did the same clothes for myself and my dd. All together, I spent about $250 this month. I don't normally spend this much in a month, but when you hear what I got... It was a deal and all things we either needed now or will need for next winter.

10 year old ds - 5 pairs of jeans, 2 long sleeve Minecraft shirts, 1 hooded jacket, slippers

16 years old ds - long summer dress, Jean shorts, sweater, 4 t-shirts, 1 blouse, 2 bras, 1 pair of spanx

Myself - 2 dresses, 1 Jean shorts, 1 blouse, swimsuit, 1 pair of spanx

Baby showers - 5 separate outfits

Bridal shower - 2 oversized bath towels, hand towels and washcloths

Easter - 4 chocolate treats

All for about $250 total and then I still have $20 kohls cash from my last purchases, earned $15 reward points and they sent me a $10 off for my birthday. I'm sure when I go to spend that, I will also find a percent off coupon and possibly another $10 off coupon. Even without the other coupons - I have $45 to go spend for free.

My only negative about Kohls is that some of the tops are so thin that they don't wear as long as I would like. But, I have found that to be the case at a lot of stores these days.

I have found the quality at Khols to be really lacking, even with brands that are good at other stores. Right now I have a Ralph Lauren purse I got there in October that is literally falling apart and I only use it once a week when I go to town. It seemed like a good deal at $35 with coupons, ect, but now it is almost junk. I won't buy another one there. I have had leather purses I have used daily for years, this purse has seen less wear than any purse I have ever owned and is falling apart faster than I could have dreamed.

Also, I am annoyed that when they have a long, long line, like around the store long, they make the clerk pester everyone about getting a loyalty card and a credit card. They have no respect for the time of their customers, so between the poor quality and the lack of a quick check out time around the holidays, I probably won't be back as a customer with them.

I only buy stuff on sale there, and use whatever coupons I have.  BUT - I have noticed my favorite jeans, for example, will go up in price and then the "sale" discount is applied...so it looks like a better sale than it really is ($30 jeans are then marked as $40 then the sale discount brings them down to...about $30).  Watch for that sort of thing.

I always do well in Kohls. We get almost all our clothing from that one store. I never pay more than what I figure something is worth, and many times I pay much less. Perhaps I'm not a good judge of the worth of items, but I know what I'm willing to pay so it's all good.

I hate Kohls.  Someone else will be in line with a coupon and get a better price.  If I want a fair price, I have to wrangle and jump hoops with coupons.  When I get Kohls cash, the times I go back NOTHING is on sale I want and I already bought the things they did have that I wanted.  I try to avoid them.  And oh, my towels I got from there dry fine but are getting holes (in super thick, fluffy towels!) after just 2 years.  

Mainly it's just too much of a pain for me.  I'd rather just go to Target or Walmart and pay a straight price and be done with it.

PS.  But I'm glad you got so many nice things you wanted!  :)  I discovered Carters pants for ds at Kohls, but again it's so much easier for me to buy directly from Carters.  No more wondering if things are instock and waiting for coupons.  I just get the emails, buy when they mark the pants 40% off, and I'm done.  

I've found that after all the coupons and discounts, Target still tends to be cheaper than Kohls.  Kohls just really jacks up their prices so they can convince people they're saving a lot.  It's a business model, I suppose....

Kohls' quality isn't all that great either.  It used to be better.

I will still go to Kohls in search of pants that fit me.  Because Target never has anything.  Target doesn't even have pants that fit my skinny daughter. 

But I'm about to give up on trying to buy pants in stores (you know, so I can actually try them on) and just go with catalog shopping.  If I can get free returns. 

btw -- I've found Target to be great for taking returns on things I ordered online.

The only down side has been having some nosy male checker wondering why I was returning all these ladies' undergarments when I'd "got such a deal on them".  And having him lovingly handle each one as he did the return.

• Like 2

I need to return something to Kohl's.  I am dreading it.  The item was $150 and I assume I will lose my $30 in Kohl's cash, so I will get $120.

But I also got $25 in Yes2You rewards and I have no idea how those work.

Will I get only $95 back for the item I am returning?  If so, I probably would fare better to sell it on eBay.

ARGH!

Kohls is one of my favorite places to shop - esp for my guys.  They always have styles they like and at prices that are reasonable (with coupons and discounts).

We had one pair of pants get a hole in them after the first wash (poor seam sewing).  We returned those and got another pair with no problem whatsoever.

We've tried Sears, Penneys, Bon Ton, Wally World, and some smaller places, but almost always, what we buy the most of (for my guys) comes from Kohls.  There are a couple of smaller shops I prefer for myself.  Kohl's tops don't fit me well.

ps  The bulk of our college shopping is done at Kohls too... the sheets/towels/etc we've bought from there have lasted nicely and the sales + coupons + Kohls cash has certainly made it seem affordable.

Kohl's cash never works out too well for me since Kohl's is not located nearby. You have to wait x number of days to redeem it. And I don't like to redeem it online because then I have to pay shipping.

Same here. I will use the coupons I get in the mail or emailed, but never end up using my Kohl's cash. We have to actually plan a trip to Kohl's or if we're going to be in the area, leave early so we can stop at Kohl's on the way to where we're going.

I hate Kohls.  Someone else will be in line with a coupon and get a better price.  If I want a fair price, I have to wrangle and jump hoops with coupons.  

I'd rather just go to Target or Walmart and pay a straight price and be done with it.

JC Penney tried the no coupons, no sales, no hassle, everyone pays the same price thing and it blew up in their face. It seems people want to think they're getting a deal even when they aren't.  :confused1:

Walmart quality sucks and my Target never has what I'm looking for in clothes or household items. 

I've found that after all the coupons and discounts, Target still tends to be cheaper than Kohls.  Kohls just really jacks up their prices so they can convince people they're saving a lot.  It's a business model, I suppose....

Kohls' quality isn't all that great either.  It used to be better.

Because Target never has anything.  

I can find some really good deals at Kohl's with coupons and sales, but I have to shop carefully. When ds was still in boys' sizes I used to get good quality clothes for him at Kohl's. Now that he's in men's, not so much. Dh found a few shirts there, but for the most part neither of them are usually able to find what they want/need at Kohl's. We've each occasionally found a good deal on shoes though.

And yeah, I would buy much more at Target if only they actually carried stuff

We adore Kohls.  I look at the end price for what is in the bag I take home, and always feel like a got a lot for the price I paid.  I don't care about the details of how that happens really!

I love Target too, but they don't have the clothing selection.

side note:  I too was surprised by JC Penney's experience.  So many people freaked over the change, even though the prices basically stayed the same.  Some people would rather have the "game" I guess...

I am a bad shopper. I get overwhelmed just walking into Kohls or Target. I need service in a clothing store.

I don't expect "service" in a lower price store like Kohls or Target.  I just don't think they have the dollars built in.  By service, I mean help with clothing.  

I know it is all a ploy and to NEVER EVER pay anywhere near full price.  Normally I HATE this type of thing.  I almost always grocery shop at Walmart (what I don't get at Aldi) as the other local grocery stores require their "cards" to get the sale prices and "clipping" electronic coupons, etc.  I hate that type of thing.

Yesterday though was a good deal as I knew what I was willing to pay for each item and turned down many "sale" items that weren't really good deals.

I will use the Kohls cash though for basics that I know we need and won't have to think about returns.

Really, ,my favorite places to shop are local thrift stores----great brands for $2/item for most things and $3-5 for designer labels and only $1/item for kids clothes.  Can't beat it and I can find stuff with the tags still on them often.

I need to return something to Kohl's.  I am dreading it.  The item was $150 and I assume I will lose my $30 in Kohl's cash, so I will get $120.

But I also got $25 in Yes2You rewards and I have no idea how those work.

Will I get only $95 back for the item I am returning?  If so, I probably would fare better to sell it on eBay.

ARGH!

Did you spend the Kohls cash already? If you didn't you get the full refund of what you paid but Kohls cash is reduced in case you want to use it. If you did use it, then yes, they deduct that amount from your refund. I don't know about the rewards program yet. I only just signed up and haven't used it.

Did you spend the Kohls cash already? If you didn't you get the full refund of what you paid but Kohls cash is reduced in case you want to use it. If you did use it, then yes, they deduct that amount from your refund. I don't know about the rewards program yet. I only just signed up and haven't used it.

No, I didn't.  I have $25 in YES rewards too and they have expiration dates.

UGH.  This is why I don't really care for Kohl's.  I hate the pressure of expiration dates.

Their return policy used to be excellent, but it sounds like it's pretty rotten now. We shop there only occasionally, and I'm skeptical of all the "savings." Thatt said, we were there last night as a last resort, and did ok. I don't feel like it was a screaming deal, but we weren't overcharged - after coupons, etc.

We were also in the Land End store, and I was pleasantly surprised when the clerk gave us 25 percent off everything. :)

I agree on returning when you used Kohls cash.  They used to give you store credit and not deduct the Kohls cash.  I returned something recently that cost around $40.  They then deducted $10 Kohls cash.  I told the cashier that if I would have just bought that item I would not have gotten Kohls cash as you need a $50 purchase.  She explained that they use a system of the other items on your receipt, didn't make much sense.  I told her next time I return something that I used Kohls cash with I would just return it without a receipt and get full store credit.  She agreed that this is the best way to go.  I like the way Jcpenneys does theirs.  They take a percentage off each individual item so if you return one item only that amount will be deducted.

I'm always amused when I'm checking out with my $10 shirt and they circle on my receipt "you saved $967!!" as if there is someone out there wearing the same shirt that they bought for the full $977 sticker price. It is such a gimmick.

• Like 5

I just bought my daughter a pair of sandals there yesterday that were $40.  I had a rebate from a black Friday appliance, a $5 yes2you reward and the $10 off $30 coupon.  For some reason, I got another $10 special discount off and the total out of pocket for the shoes was $1.77.  I don't return things very often, so I haven't really had any issues there.  Love Kohls!

• Like 2

I don't expect "service" in a lower price store like Kohls or Target. I just don't think they have the dollars built in. By service, I mean help with clothing.

I have had good service in Kohls, especially the men's department. Ds needed clothes for game days and I had no idea what to pick out. I asked someone in the men's department to help me and he picked out several outfits and ds was happy with clothes the guy picked out (ds wasn't with me).

I can usually find some decent things there for a decent price. I got a Kohl's credit card because they offered an additional % off sale prices when using their credit card. I pay off the card using cash right after they finishing ringing up the sale so I never carry a balance.

I can get better prices at Kohl's than Target especially if I need something quickly.

For example, a week or so ago, Target's men's fitted shorts (the kind sold by waist size) were $25, so 23.75 with their debit card discount.

Kohl's had similar shorts for $20 (50% off reg. $40). Plus I had a 30% coupon, so $14/pair. I got 4 (growing teen boys!) so I got $10 Kohl's cash. But even if I had only got 1 pair, it was nearly $10 less than Target.

A cashier told me they can give you Kohl's cash if you are close to the $50 increment...I got $20 once when my pretax total was $98.XX. I'm not sure if it is less than $2 or what the exact number is. It is worth asking.

I do make my purchasing decisions NOT based on Kohl's cash, though, in case I don't get back to use it.