Menu

If you have a young teen who has enjoyed Richard Maybury's Whatever Happened to Penny Candy? ...

:bigear:

I have struggled to find really good things about economics and business for my business interested kids. Everything is without any real narrative or geared toward dumb questions. For example, we had the DK one Show Me the Money from the library a couple of times. Looks cool, not great at telling a cohesive story since it's all blurbs. We have not read Whatever Happened to Penny Candy because of the bias, so I guess I'd be interested to know the biases of any books listed as well...

• Like 2

I'm planning to use Penny Candy as part of an Economics year for my 9th grader next year (that should fill one semester).  The third quarter I'm planning on Jonathan Gullible, and the fourth I'll use part of a Junior Achievement text/workbook that I found at a thrift store.  I've heard nothing but good about Hazlitt (what Quark mentioned above) and if we have extra time or don't like something, I'd like to work that in.

This same dd did LOF PreA/Econ a couple of years ago, so I can ask her what she thought of it or if she even remembers anything from it.

• Like 1

... I'm planning on Jonathan Gullible

This same dd did LOF PreA/Econ a couple of years ago, so I can ask her what she thought of it or if she even remembers anything from it.

Thanks for the mention of Jonathan Gullible, K&Rs Mom.  I hadn't heard of that one before.  And I look forward to hearing any details your daughter might care to share about the Life of Fred book.

You probably know about the DVDs available from John Stossel but he has also written several books.

Many thanks, Vida.  I'll look to see what books Stossel has written.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks for the mention of Jonathan Gullible, K&Rs Mom.  I hadn't heard of that one before.  And I look forward to hearing any details your daughter might care to share about the Life of Fred book.

The JG book I linked is the one I have - it has study questions.  I don't know if other versions do or if it's just a novel.

DD says LOF didn't really have anything new for her, it included things like rent & interest that she already knew about, no big topics that hadn't come up in conversation at some point.

• Like 1

DD says LOF didn't really have anything new for her, it included things like rent & interest that she already knew about, no big topics that hadn't come up in conversation at some point.

Many thanks for sharing your daughter's thoughts!  I appreciate it.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1