Menu

Let's Celebrate - Favorite Easter Songs

TechWife

I can't wait until tomorrow - let's celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ! 

Christ Arose

Christ the Lord is Risen Today

Easter Song 

Redeemer

In Christ Alone

What are some of the songs you are looking forward to singing tomorrow? 

• Like 6

Best Holy Week music ever written, as far as I'm concerned, is Bach's St. Matthew Passion.  However, that is not suitable for Easter, but rather for Palm Sunday or Good Friday.

My favorite Easter hymn is "Awake My Heart With Gladness".  "Jesus Christ, My Sure Defense," though, is the Easter hymn I want sung at my funeral.

• Like 2

Not a celebratory Easter song, but at my all girls Catholic high school, we'd have a prayer service during Holy Week and one girl would be chosen to sing "Were You There?" a Capella from the balcony while the cross was in the spotlight on stage/altar. Half the auditorium of teenage girls would be in tears. I still get chills thinking of it.

This year, I'm enjoying listening to my eight-year-old practice "Lift High the Cross" to sing with the children's choir.

• Like 1

The music I always look forward to the most Sandi Patty recordings, early Easter morning, alone in my kitchen while I'm doing meal prep: Was it a Morning Like This, Via Dolorosa, In Majesty He We Will Come,  We Will Behold Him, Make His Praise Glorious, etc. 

• Like 4

Best Holy Week music ever written, as far as I'm concerned, is Bach's St. Matthew Passion.  However, that is not suitable for Easter, but rather for Palm Sunday or Good Friday.

My favorite Easter hymn is "Awake My Heart With Gladness".  "Jesus Christ, My Sure Defense," though, is the Easter hymn I want sung at my funeral.

"Awake My Heart with Gladness" is my favorite Easter hymn, too!

• Like 2

I get to hear the best Easter song tomorrow--the entire Messiah! Dd flew in to play with her dh's orchestra. It should be a very special day. 

I was so looking forward to the messiah on friday (it was written for Easter), then dudeling got sick. I didn't get to stay home with him - I had to go pick up three olders from the convention center downtown . . .

I love the Messiah - probably my most listened to piece of music about the Savior.

Christ the Lord is risen today

He is risen

All Glory Laud and Honor (what can I say - I like *old* music. one of my fav. christmas song's is O come o come Emmanuel.  another oldie.)

• Like 2

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets all teary at this.  We just had our baby on Monday and the line "From life's first cry . . " is going to do me in before we even get to it, I just know it!

Me three. :) After reading this, I pulled it up on my phone and when he got to the part where he says "There in the ground, His body lay...", then "Then bursting forth...". Gets me every time.

Favorite Easter song-Now the Green Blade Riseth.

I also love "O Sacred Head Now Wounded", the Messiah, the Bach Easter Oratorio.

My favorite Good Friday Hymn is "O Glory, Laud and Honor"-which dates back to being one of the children in a local production of "The Singing Bishop" as a 6 yr old (a children's choir musical about Bishop Theodulph of Orleans). That was also my first time singing in Latin.

• Like 2

Through the Easter season we will be singing daily, in place of the Angelus, the Regina Coeli. This is easily our family's favorite Easter hymn: lovely and easy to sing.

Regina coeli, laetare, alleluia:

Quia quem meruisti portare, alleluia.

Resurrexit sicut dixit, alleluia.

Ora pro nobis Deum, alleluia.

• Like 1

I find my brain going back to my Episcopalian childhood. I love Welcome Happy Morning (not in the Lutheran hymnal) and Come Ye Faithful Raise the Strain. I was so excited to see the latter in our bulletin this morning, but alas, it's a different tune in the Lutheran hymnal. We also got to see Hail Thee Festival Day--that one is a bit hard for our congregation, but I think we managed it all right. Love it.

We are not traditional people here. My kids go to a more traditional church and dh and I go to a church that does only contemporary music, no hymns. The kids were dreading the Easter hymns so much, they came with us today, just to avoid them.  :leaving:

I have always liked the Don Francisco song posted above though.