Menu

Need birthday present ideas for 13 yo boy please ...

housemouse

Ds was invited to another homeschool boy's birthday party. The problem is we don't really know the family- they just joined the group and we met for a casual park day few times. What do I get for a 13 year old?
I was thinking cash or gift card since it was Short notice and lack of knowledge of the person

Cash- always good they can do whatever they choose with it
Gift card would be a better option if we knew boy's specific interst which we don't since we just met them last month.
What are my options on this?
Thank you very much

Do you want to encourage the friendship?  If so, I'd think about making a home made gift card for some kind of joint activity. (e.g. movies, laser tag, local water park).

If this kid is asking kids he just met at a park day for his birthday party, he's probably looking to form a friendship.

Oh, I like the idea of a gift card for the boys to do something together!

While I understand the intention of this, personally I wouldn't give an activity specifically for the two boys together. A gift card large enough for him to include a friend of his choosing might be appropriate, but IMO if the intent is to include the giver in the activity, it could be seen as a gift with strings attached. 

I would only go this route with a friend we knew very, very well. If you want to arrange for the boys to get together, by all means do so, but I wouldn't make it a birthday gift. 

• Like 3

agreed--

While I understand the intention of this, personally I wouldn't give an activity specifically for the two boys together. A gift card large enough for him to include a friend of his choosing might be appropriate, but IMO if the intent is to include the giver in the activity, it could be seen as a gift with strings attached. 

I would only go this route with a friend we knew very, very well. If you want to arrange for the boys to get together, by all means do so, but I wouldn't make it a birthday gift.