Menu

My avatar pic is 9 years old. Should I change it?

Suzanne in ABQ

My 9yodd was looking over my shoulder the other day, and commented that I should update my WTM avatar picture.  I don't look like that picture anymore.  

I've never changed it because, to me, it just symbolizes who I am, and makes me more recognizable to folks on the board.

Then, I was writing something the other day about my long hair, and realized that my avatar picture doesn't have long hair, and I look really young in that picture (not like I do now at all), and I wonder if dd was right.

But, many people don't even use their picture, but instead use other photos or graphic representations of themselves.  

I'm obviously just starting conversation.  I'm wondering how much other people use avatars to remember people.  Is it just me who needs the visual reminder, or are names sufficient?

What says the hive?

Yes, the avatar is to remember people.  I change mine.  I looked a LOT younger 9 years ago.  My hair changes.  I like to show some changes (hair, weight, etc).  I guess I like it to be representative?  I doubt my changing it is as confusing as if I changed it from a frog to a saying to one of my kids to.... Obviously I still look enough like me AND y'all have had years to see me age a little.

• Like 1

My avatar is probably about 6 years old. When I joined it asked if I wanted to use my facebook pic. Seemed like the easiest solution, but I haven't touched facebook in forever. I can't really tell my age from my avatar (someone correct me if I'm wrong)... I'm probably 24 in that picture; I'm 30 now. My hair is much longer at the moment, but who cares? My main issue with my avatar is that I don't have a kid that young anymore (and that's my oldest I'm holding). But I hate taking pictures, and I think an avatar picture (or painting/drawing/etc) is better than nothing. I do recognize others' avatars faster than their names.

I have thought about changing mine, but I am afraid I won't be able to get a new photo on there and I'll turn into the dreaded Grey Ghost.

• Like 2

Girl, who didn't look a lot younger 9 years ago, right?

4 years ago (when I was 26), there were people who were surprised when I told them I was a senior. They thought I was younger than that. When I then added "in college" they were floored. They thought I was a high school freshman or sophomore at most. Yeah. I could do without that.

In other news, you're less likely to be carded for alcohol if you're juggling two kids, put some groceries on the belt at the grocery store, then the alcohol, then some big boxes of diapers, and then continue to add more and more groceries. When there is a mountain of groceries and diapers between you and the cashier, the cashier is more likely to shrug and decide that you're probably old enough, and if not, you probably deserve the right to a drink anyway. :)

• Like 2

4 years ago (when I was 26), there were people who were surprised when I told them I was a senior. They thought I was younger than that. When I then added "in college" they were floored. They thought I was a high school freshman or sophomore at most. Yeah. I could do without that.

In other news, you're less likely to be carded for alcohol if you're juggling two kids, put some groceries on the belt at the grocery store, then the alcohol, then some big boxes of diapers, and then continue to add more and more groceries. When there is a mountain of groceries and diapers between you and the cashier, the cashier is more likely to shrug and decide that you're probably old enough, and if not, you probably deserve the right to a drink anyway. :)

True that. Back when I was 30 I wasn't married or have any kids and I always got carded. And when I was 25 a high school student asked me out on a date, lol. I am sure he thought he was being all sophisticated and asking out a college student, but it was pretty funny.