Menu

Care of fine hair

momto10blessings

One of my daughters has super fine hair that tangles in 3.2 seconds. Not really, but you get the picture. How can I care for her hair? Do I really need to brush it every hour to keep it from turning into a birds nest? Is it better to brush or comb? Any tips whatsoever? My other daughters don't tangle at all. I hardly have to brush their hair, so I'm at a loss.

Braids? Ponies? Cornrows worked great for DD13 when she was little as did "octopus braids" - 8 little braids all over her head. I used small rubber bands on the ends in all different colors.

But make sure she doesn't get headaches from them. I have fine hair and braids and ponies give me either a slight headache or a full blown headache very shortly after putting them in. No clue why.

• Like 2

But make sure she doesn't get headaches from them. I have fine hair and braids and ponies give me either a slight headache or a full blown headache very shortly after putting them in. No clue why.

Me too! Buns work better for me. I think there's more support. When my hair is too long, even a single pony tail will give me a headache.

Have you tried any of the detangling sprays? White Rain makes a very inexpensive one that comes in a bright lime green bottle and is watermelon-scented. I think it only costs about a dollar or two at Walmart, and it works quite well.

No I haven't, but it's worth a try.

I feel silly since most threads on hair care are asking about curly hair! I can't imagine if I had a child with curly hair.

• Like 1

Do you have to brush your hair 10x/day?

My hair used to get terrible, terrible knots in it within 5 minutes of brushing it. It was a constant battle, especially at the nape of my neck. Oh--big wads of knots.

A few years ago I started putting hair glue in it when it was wet. The glue does something to make it a little thicker so now I can go maybe an hour or so without the knots forming. Every time I brush my hair I have big knots in it and I brush it a few times a day, just to work the knots out. (I thought everyone did this? Don't you all have to brush out big knots a few times a day??)

Oh, and the glue hurts to brush out, because...duh...it's glue in your hair. So, I wouldn't recommend it for a child. But when she's older, she might want to use it. I put a bunch in when it's 1/2 dry, let it dry, then brush it out. Hurts to brush out, but at least my hair isn't a knotty rat's nest that's either stuck to my head because it's so fine or flying off my head like I've stuck my finger in a socket because it's so fine.

I've never used detangler because heaven forbid I put something oily in my hair. It would make it look even more fine and it would stick even tighter to my skull.

Me too! Buns work better for me. I think there's more support. When my hair is too long, even a single pony tail will give me a headache.

Yes, buns are better, but they have to be done just right. I would be leery of doing them for someone else. I can immediately tell when mine are off and would lead to a headache. I'm not sure a child would know until she had the headache. Is this just a fine-hair person thing? I've always felt very sad for little girls with braids and ponies and clips in their hair because I figure they're suffering from headaches and their parents don't know it. I can't wear headbands either. Oh, the headaches those give me, plus they slide right off my hair in under 10 minutes.

Doesn't everyone have these problems? I just figured other women suffer through with the headaches for vanity's sake, much like suffering to wear high heels. I'm very jealous if the rest of you don't have to brush out knots all day and don't get headaches from hair doo-dads.

My hair used to get terrible, terrible knots in it within 5 minutes of brushing it. It was a constant battle, especially at the nape of my neck. Oh--big wads of knots.

A few years ago I started putting hair glue in it when it was wet. The glue does something to make it a little thicker so now I can go maybe an hour or so without the knots forming. Every time I brush my hair I have big knots in it and I brush it a few times a day, just to work the knots out. (I thought everyone did this? Don't you all have to brush out big knots a few times a day??)

Oh, and the glue hurts to brush out, because...duh...it's glue in your hair. So, I wouldn't recommend it for a child. But when she's older, she might want to use it. I put a bunch in when it's 1/2 dry, let it dry, then brush it out. Hurts to brush out, but at least my hair isn't a knotty rat's nest that's either stuck to my head because it's so fine or flying off my head like I've stuck my finger in a socket because it's so fine.

I've never used detangler because heaven forbid I put something oily in my hair. It would make it look even more fine and it would stick even tighter to my skull.

I brush my hair 1-2x/day. My hair mostly gets tangled under neath by the nape. Her hair is a tangled mess from top to bottom. If I brush her hair when we leave the house I will have to brush it again 20 minutes later when we get to our destination because it's a tangled mess. It's only shoulder length (it won't grow past her shoulders).

Glue probably isn't a good idea for a 4 yr old. I guess we'll stick to brushing every hour.

Yes, buns are better, but they have to be done just right. I would be leery of doing them for someone else. I can immediately tell when mine are off and would lead to a headache. I'm not sure a child would know until she had the headache. Is this just a fine-hair person thing? I've always felt very sad for little girls with braids and ponies and clips in their hair because I figure they're suffering from headaches and their parents don't know it. I can't wear headbands either. Oh, the headaches those give me, plus they slide right off my hair in under 10 minutes.

Doesn't everyone have these problems? I just figured other women suffer through with the headaches for vanity's sake, much like suffering to wear high heels. I'm very jealous if the rest of you don't have to brush out knots all day and don't get headaches from hair doo-dads.

I get hair headaches occasionally, but definitely not every time I put my hair up.

I brush my hair 1-2x/day. My hair mostly gets tangled under neath by the nape. Her hair is a tangled mess from top to bottom. If I brush her hair when we leave the house I will have to brush it again 20 minutes later when we get to our destination because it's a tangled mess. It's only shoulder length (it won't grow past her shoulders).

Glue probably isn't a good idea for a 4 yr old. I guess we'll stick to brushing every hour.

Will it stay in a loose braid, or does the ponytail holder keep falling off? I know that with regular ponytails, the elastic band can get tangled in the nape and that makes things even worse.

The trick I've learned to wear ponytails with my very fine hair is to make it a loose ponytail. I usually put my hair up, then pull the band away from my head just a little. And I use ponytail holders made for preschoolers--otherwise I have to wrap the darn thing around 10 times and make it so tight I get a headache, or it slips out.

For other hair accessories, the key to avoiding a headache is to avoid the ones with teeth that are meant to dig into the hair. Those teeth dig into my scalp because I don't have enough hair. Occasionally I can find small ones, meant for kids, where the teeth connect sideways, so it lays flat on my head instead of having the teeth dig in.

For very fine hair that's too short for a ponytail ... well, what I do with my daughter's hair is let it go. We brush it morning, evening, and before we leave the house. Otherwise, we just let it stay tangled. My hair pick does better at getting tangles out without hurting too badly than either a brush or (heaven forbid!) a regular comb. I often use the hair pick first to work out the big ones, then a detangling brush for the smaller ones that the pick misses ... if I don't just let those go.

• Like 2

We really love a product called It's a 10! miracle leave-in product.

Truly miraculous!  It's a leave in conditioner.  I brush their hair gently every morning, when I give my girls baths, I use a gentle conditioner, comb through it in the bathtub, rinse, and then pat their hair dry gently.  I try not to comb it when wet as it is so fine and fragile.

Once my girls are about 6 or so, their hair is a lot easier to manage.