Menu

Anxious now about selling- advice?

Jasperstone

We've just been through a roller coaster ride with a contract of our house. We got the chance (thanking God literally) to pull out last minute before it went unconditional. As it was all wrong- too cheap, too many unrealistic conditions placed on us (out in less than 3 weeks!)... and a shortage of houses in the area we'd like to move to.

Anyways, we have an inspection next Tuesday and even though we have adjusted the price according to the mini boom in our area, I'm now have an anxious feeling about moving.

I think because we made so many mistakes last time, so we don't trust ourselves anymore etc...

Our agent is scary too... very pushy. We have until the end of the month signed solo with him.

Any advice? Please be gentle as I'm feeling very fragile. :'(

If you don't trust your agent-- I would wait until the contract is null and resign with someone else-- you agent makes all the difference

Yes, so true! Our only problem is that there's a mini boom happening now, and not sure how long it will last.

We have been really clear that we aren't happy with the way it went last week....

Just wondering if it's normal to feel like this. It was a HUGE amount of stress. We thought we'd have to throw things in storage and camp with 3 kids etc... as the rental market is hard here.

So relieved that it wasn't so. But it's taken the joy and excitement out of selling. We also have been here for over 21 yrs. So too familiar? How do you adjust to change?

I agree! If you don't trust your agent - you need a new agent.

Yeah, we picked him as we knew that he was a bulldog. It's bitten us back now though!

We had others that weren't good- no drive etc.. and thought to get it sold (it was stale sitting too long) we needed that. Big mistake!

What has the agent done incorrectly? Is he pressuring you to accept low offers or to agree to unreasonable demands from potential buyers?

If you want the house sold, he may still be the best option for you if you haven't been able to sell the house in the past... but I'm getting the impression that maybe you aren't entirely sure you want to sell at all. Are you sure you are ready to move?

There is no crime in changing your mind. Forget about the mini-boom. Put the money out of your mind and ask yourself if you honestly want to move.

• Like 3

What has the agent done incorrectly? Is he pressuring you to accept low offers or to agree to unreasonable demands from potential buyers?

If you want the house sold, he may still be the best option for you if you haven't been able to sell the house in the past... but I'm getting the impression that maybe you aren't entirely sure you want to sell at all. Are you sure you are ready to move?

There is no crime in changing your mind. Forget about the mini-boom. Put the money out of your mind and ask yourself if you honestly want to move.

Yes, he is very pushy. And he was only interested in getting his commission, and he didn't take into consideration our family's situation. I know most don't, though some are more ruthless than others.

We have wanted to sell for awhile now.... Our neighbors aren't happy about us home schooling- do you remember a thread about it? My ds ran across the front lawn, and he threatened to call the police!

So, we want to, but just nervous now, as we had a such a stressful time last week.

• Like 2

Agree with Catwoman.  Don't worry about the mini-boom.  Have a heart to heart with yourself and your spouse about moving.  Don't let one wrong sale frighten you into not selling if you were really wanting to sell.  Goodness knows that sales go off track all the time.  Doesn't mean that will happen the next time.  Things happen.  It doesn't mean that selling in general is a bad idea.  Why were you wanting to sell in the first place?  Write those reasons down.  Then write down why you are second guessing yourself now.  Let that sit for a few days.  Think it through.  Don't let a mini-boom pressure you into something you may really not want to do.  Don't let one sale that went off kilter scare you into not doing something you want to do.  Take a deep breath.  Write everything down.  Try to make a rational decision.  And  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: .

And I think you need to seriously sit down and analyze EXACTLY what it was your real estate agent did, specifically, that upset you.  Be honest in your analysis, as much as possible.  Take into consideration that frequently there are things beyond an agent's control (including other agents, the people looking to buy, etc.).  Then consider whether switching agents will net you much or if talking to your current agent and trying to get on a better path would be more productive.  If, after analysis, you find specific things he absolutely did wrong or that made you exceedingly uncomfortable, and were definitely within his control and you suspect he would do again, then yes, wait until the contract expires and interview new agents.

• Like 3

He's very intimidating. And has a way at dismissing our concerns. So the communication isn't good etc...

ETA

He pressured us to sign the contract without anytime to consider it. He was like- this is the best so far... do you want to sell or what? hurry or they'll walk etc....

• Like 1

Yes, he is very pushy. And he was only interested in getting his commission, and he didn't take into consideration our family's situation. I know most don't, though some are more ruthless than others.

We have wanted to sell for awhile now.... Our neighbors aren't happy about us home schooling- do you remember a thread about it? My ds ran across the front lawn, and he threatened to call the police!

So, we want to, but just nervous now, as we had a such a stressful time last week.

If the guy is too pushy, push right back.

Remind him that he works for you and not the other way around. Be specific about what you will and will not tolerate. Many real estate agents are honest, reputable, nice, and helpful. This guy may still be honest and reputable but his personality may not mesh with yours and what another seller might view as a "go-getter attitude" might just seem pushy and obnoxious to you.

I think you should make a list of the issues you have with him and give him a chance to make things right before you consider replacing him, especially if he has a strong history of selling houses in your area.

• Like 3

He's very intimidating. And has a way at dismissing our concerns. So the communication isn't good etc...

ETA

He pressured us to sign the contract without anytime to consider it. He was like- this is the best so far... do you want to sell or what? hurry or they'll walk etc....

Again, you don't have to tolerate that. You can insist that he address your concerns to your satisfaction, and if he pressures you to sign anything, you can simply say no, and tell him you will call him when you have made your decision.

You need him to know that you are as tough as he is, and right now, you are the ones holding all the cards. He can't force you to do anything you don't want to do.

• Like 3

Then absolutely wait and dump him as soon as you can.  BTDT.  So sorry things went so wrong.

Can you interview a few?  I have moved 30 times since I was born and 5 times since I got married.  Every agent is different.  If you can get recommendations, that's great.  I would also interview, though.  Let them know you won't commit until you have met and talked with at least 2-3.  See what kind of vibe you get.

We had an awful one, a couple of average ones, one that was a bit of a flake and one that was truly amazing and I will never forget her (Not only did she help us find the perfect house to buy and really go to bat for us in selling when we ended up having to move only one year later, she drove through a blizzard to bring us a snow shovel and fire wood when our just barely moved into house caught fire and we lost our heater during the worst snow storm in 50 years).  Our first interview with her we came away with a great feeling and we were right.  She stayed in contact and we became friends.

• Like 2

If the guy is too pushy, push right back.

Remind him that he works for you and not the other way around. Be specific about what you will and will not tolerate. Many real estate agents are honest, reputable, nice, and helpful. This guy may still be honest and reputable but his personality may not mesh with yours and what another seller might view as a "go-getter attitude" might just seem pushy and obnoxious to you.

I think you should make a list of the issues you have with him and give him a chance to make things right before you consider replacing him, especially if he has a strong history of selling houses in your area.

We are being more assertive now, but he doesn't like it. He has responded back with- I know my job.... I work for the seller (yeah, right ;-) ) and it's like you are trying to my job now...

Hmmm.... we are just cautious now, and putting conditions on the sale- longer settlement etc...

• Like 2

We are being more assertive now, but he doesn't like it. He has responded back with- I know my job.... I work for the seller (yeah, right ;-) ) and it's like you are trying to my job now...

Hmmm.... we are just cautious now, and putting conditions on the sale- longer settlement etc...

Tell him to suck it up and deal with it, and that if he doesn't want to work with you on your terms, you will agree to cancel his contract.

He sounds like an arrogant jerk.

• Like 4

No.  He doesn't work for "the seller" he works for YOU.  You get to tell him what is an acceptable contract and what is not.  You get to tell him how long your timeline for moving needs to be.  You get to tell him to stuff it if he is being a bully.  He doesn't have to like it, but don't let him make you feel bad for setting boundaries.

No. He doesn't work for "the seller" he works for YOU. You get to tell him what is an acceptable contract and what is not. You get to tell him how long your timeline for moving needs to be. You get to tell him to stuff it if he is being a bully. He doesn't have to like it, but don't let him make you feel bad for setting boundaries.

Yes, no more 'Mr Nice Guy' from us... we are going to put boundaries this time, and not get bullied into anything. My dh said we should sleep on anything he brings, as well.

I just wish I could shake the sinking feeling in my stomach! It's just that the whole experience has a bad connotation to it now. :'(