Menu

Resources for computer diagnostics, repair and/or building systems?

Ds is self-designing a course on computer diagnostics, repair and building systems for next year.  He is using an outline from a college certificate course.  His goal is to get a leg up on the subject matter and also to help decide if this is something he may want to pursue post-high school. 

Does anyone have any resources to share that they have used and can recommend?  If you have anything that would also help me to help him evaluate his progress that would be most appreciated.  This is not a subject about which I have any great knowledge, or, to be honest, any personal interest, so I'm really just along for the ride, but wouldn't mind understanding a bit more myself.

I have used the CompTIA A+ certification prep books from the library as resources. Does he have a desktop he can tear apart/dismantle?

Can he solder? I was managing a project of repairing motherboards in school labs and soldering and de-soldering was a useful skill to have.

• Like 1

I have used the CompTIA A+ certification prep books from the library as resources. Does he have a desktop he can tear apart/dismantle?

Can he solder? I was managing a project of repairing motherboards in school labs and soldering and de-soldering was a useful skill to have.

Yes, he has 4 desktops he got when the local school was tossing them.  They are of varying ages.  It is what inspired the course idea.  Since he has nothing to lose, so to speak, he thought it would be a good opportunity to learn.

He can weld, but has never tried soldering yet.  His dad was going to show him and has already explained it is like very delicate welding.  We both think he'll be okay with learning that skill that way.