Menu

What's up, Chuck? Or, the barfing blues.

BarbecueMom

If you feel a bit queasy, go ahead and close the thread now.

I see a lot of threads about people/families/homeschoolers who don't make firm commitments or flake out on them, but how do you ever go anywhere or do anything when whole MONTHS can be dedicated to round-robin style family puking? Someone in our house has been throwing up, running to the bathroom, producing several vile diapers per day, or in the still-contagious period since the last weekend of February. We're on our third round of stomach viruses since Thanksgiving. We've missed several classes, cancelled pretty much every outing or field trip, bailed on events with friends, and missed holiday gatherings. If the kids were in school, they would only miss the days they were sick, but as homeschoolers, they miss activities when anyone is sick.

It's bad enough that the bigger kids miss out on things with friends because I can't wrangle a toddler there, but even baby-friendly activities are backed out of because we've had weeks of multiple diaper blowouts.

The cabin fever is ridiculous, friends have stopped trying to set things up with us, and we certainly can't reciprocate. Every time we do get around to going somewhere, we come down with another virus!

It doesn't help that due to my health issues, it takes me at least twice as long to recover from GI bugs.

This does get better when they get older, right? It seems to happen every time we have an 18-24mo in the house who is test-driving his immune system and quicker at grabbing poopy genitals than I am at stopping him.

Off to find more Gatorade and bleach. Feel free to commiserate.

First of all, I'm so sorry you've been dealing with it for so long!!!   And yes, in our case, as the kids got older, those types of episodes were much farther apart!  

I am SO GLAD when someone we've made plans with DOES cancel plans when a stomach bug is at their house.  I've had friends send a child to play when their sibling is sick with the pukey stuff.....then a week later, we get it.  

So, you're not being flakey - you're being considerate!!  

Hope everyone in your house can be healthy at one time - very soon!!!!   :grouphug:

• Like 4

This has been the worst year for stomach flu around here in at least 7 years. We've only had one other year this bad that I can remember (and yes we had a toddler and yes it lasted an entire month). I don't know what happened with all the stomach viruses this year and we don't have ANY toddlers anymore, but it has still been killer. We've had at least 3 viruses hit too, including the one that ruined Thanksgiving.

So sorry this has dragged out so long for you.

That is one huge downside to hsing: the whole family has to miss things when one member is ill when your oldest is under 12.

It stinks.

The good news is that we stayed much healthier starting the year my youngest was 5. So hang in there.

And the rest of us moms do thank you for keeping your family home when you have illnesses.

• Like 1

I had a feeling it was going to be a rough year for it during the baseball postseason when the virus went through teams like wildfire. Some of the players came back 3-4 games later and their uniforms didn't fit anymore.

I guess that was the first virus we got. I lost ten pounds. I don't think I had another pound to lose without removing organs or limbs.

The upside is we didn't get the flu, pinkeye, or RSV this time. Or mumps or measles.

Commiserating.  We've had round after round of illness since Nov.  Strep.  Flu A, strep and puking simultaneously - 2 of us were hospitalized for that one.  Sinus infections.  Ear infections.  Strep again.  Puking again.  Sinus infections again.  Coughing, neb treatments for two kids, round the clock.   All shared generously between all members of the family despite bleach and sanitizing and...   :willy_nilly:

We have cancelled and postponed, and cancelled, and flaked out, and friends think we are the sickest family they've ever known.  It's been insane.  We are actually heading to the immunologist to get immune deficiency testing done on 2 kids.  We already know I'm immune deficient.  It's been crazy.  Crazy!

I'm sorry you're still in the trenches.  Hang in there.

Commiserating. We've had round after round of illness since Nov. Strep. Flu A, strep and puking simultaneously - 2 of us were hospitalized for that one. Sinus infections. Ear infections. Strep again. Puking again. Sinus infections again. Coughing, neb treatments for two kids, round the clock. All shared generously between all members of the family despite bleach and sanitizing and... :willy_nilly:

We have cancelled and postponed, and cancelled, and flaked out, and friends think we are the sickest family they've ever known. It's been insane. We are actually heading to the immunologist to get immune deficiency testing done on 2 kids. We already know I'm immune deficient. It's been crazy. Crazy!

I'm sorry you're still in the trenches. Hang in there.

Oh good lord, you win. The alternating respiratory and GI stuff sounds miserable. To quote my 5yo last night, mid puke, "The bacteria and viruses are doing a very good job."

• Like 3

Oh good lord, you win. The alternating respiratory and GI stuff sounds miserable. To quote my 5yo last night, mid puke, "The bacteria and viruses are doing a very good job."

Haha! I was thinking you win, with all the throwing up! That's just the worst, with all the potential for extra laundry.

Your poor kiddo! He got that right. Those germs and bacteria are certainly doing *something.*

Our last round, we were reading Germs Make Me Sick, a favorite here, and the 3 yr old asked to put it away because it makes her too sad. :(

I hope this round passes quickly for all of you. Sending you bucketloads of healthy wishes!

So sorry! I have a tip about changing babies who try to grab the poop, though. I change mine on a towel on the floor and have one of his older sibs kneel above his head and hold his hands. They talk to him, lean down and kiss his nose, etc. and he just loves it. He giggles and giggles and doesn't even notice that I am changing his diaper!

We haven't managed to make it a month since December without some sort of horrific illness. We have been through multiple rounds of antibiotics and some pretty bad barfing sessions. Ds had diarrhea all day yesterday and dd missed her practice because of it.

Then dh was annoyed I didn't take her to practice! How am I supposed to drive 40 minutes each way while ds can barely make it to the bathroom without diarrhea everywhere? UGH!

Ds is better today and has unlimited yogurt privileges, much to his delight. :lol:

• Like 1

We haven't managed to make it a month since December without some sort of horrific illness. We have been through multiple rounds of antibiotics and some pretty bad barfing sessions. Ds had diarrhea all day yesterday and dd missed her practice because of it.

Then dh was annoyed I didn't take her to practice! How am I supposed to drive 40 minutes each way while ds can barely make it to the bathroom without diarrhea everywhere? UGH!

Ds is better today and has unlimited yogurt privileges, much to his delight. :lol:

Hope your DS feels better! I struggle with how to get the healthy child to class or practice without dragging the sick ones out. Fortunately they are young enough that their activities are very flexible and we usually stay home. Hopefully by the time that changes we'll have options for rides.

I wish I could bounce back as quick as they do. They're ready to go back to normal life and I'm in pain and feverish.

• Like 1