Menu

Framing a watercolor

Happy

I've inherited a small watercolor done by a much loved and recently deceased relative. I've never handled a watercolor before....tell me what to do...

Should I spray it with something to seal it?

Should it go under glass in the frame or not?

It's a small piece, maybe 5x7 inches so not a hardship to treat it to whatever is best.

Sorry for your loss.

Since it is a precious piece I wanted to mention that I have had things framed at Michaels while I waited. I was just in a hurry but in your case I wouldn't want to leave the painting.

Just wanted to mention that having it framed while you wait should be a possibility.

• Like 1

You don't need a fixative or varnish on a watercolor. Ask for archival quality framing. Frame under glass and look into the types of glass that protect the painting from UV light. Do not hang the painting where it will be in direct sunlight.

• Like 2

No need to spay a finish on it. Yes, it should go under glass. Michael's or JoAnn can frame it but they are pricy.  An Acid free mat and a frame from the shelf should do fine.  (Says the mom of the recently graduated art major who has no less than 20 framed paintings proped against the living room wall for lack of a better place to put them all. )

• Like 1

You don't need a fixative or varnish on a watercolor. Ask for archival quality framing. Frame under glass and look into the types of glass that protect the painting from UV light. Do not hang the painting where it will be in direct sunlight.

:iagree:

As Kalmia mentioned, be sure to hang the painting out of natural light, as some watercolor paints are not lightfast, and the colors in the painting can either fade terribly or change to different shades over time. If you really love the painting, it might be worth making a good color copy of it before you have it framed, so you will remember the original colors if the original fades.