Menu

Books you've read about sending kids to college - all in one thread.

Jen in NY

I am appreciating the discussion around college on the board right now... it's stretching my mind. It seems like a lot of it is prompted by books that have come out recently. There must be some older ones that influenced you, too. I'll list a couple that I liked - not that I took what they had to say word for word and went with it... just that they made me think. Please add to this list for future reference. :) (I have to do this all again... once more. And maybe for me, too! I get to make up for all my missed and unappreciated higher-ed opportunities if I so choose. :oP )

Debt Free U by Zac Bissonnette

Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation by Parker Palmer

I read:

Going Back to School: College Survival Strategies for Adult Students - Bruni (like this one very much)

Bear's Guide to Earning College Degrees Nontraditionally - Bear

What Smart Students Know - Robinson

How to Become a Straight A Student: The Unconventional Strategies Real Students Use to Score High While Studying Less - Newport

How to Be a High School Superstar: A Revolutionary Plan to Get into College by Standing Out (Without Burning Out) - Newport

So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love - Newport

Outliers - Gladwell

I also looked at various books at the library having lists of colleges, but mostly I was concerned with how to help my children SURVIVE college and GRADUATE rather than get in.

Nan

• Like 1