Menu

all about spelling with older student

woolybear

Has anyone used this with an older student? My ds is 12 and we need something for spelling. This looks like it might work for him. Do you think the tiles are necessary at his age? Or would it work as well with a whiteboard or just writing the on paper? Also, if I buy new do the magnets need to be attached to the back of each tile? Sounds time consuming and maybe worth it to purchase used.

Tia.

I am only at level one step 6 so keep that in mind.

I think it would be challenging to do it without the tiles. It could be done, it would just be a bit difficult to manipulate the words. If your child LOVED writing then maybe.

The magnets make it so it is less messy. It was time consuming to put them all on, but it wasn't hard. You do it once, and you don't have to do it again for the life of the program. You also have to separate the cards. There are cards for every level. I recommend you get the box for the cards as it is nice place to keep them.

I imagine your child will fly through some of the steps quickly. I know my son (reader but not very good at it all the time) is. We have only had the program 2 weeks. You might think about getting 2 levels if you think you would like the program to save on shipping, you might get there quick with someone that old.

Good luck!

Start with level 2 and just use the first step as extended review if he needs it. I do think you lose out on some of the main OG multi-sensory methods by not using the tiles, but you could easily do it with one of the apps like Sound Literacy if he feels like the physical tiles are too babyish. IMHO though you need to see the different color coding of vowels, consonants, vowel teams, sounds of er, etc. It is one of the strengths of the program that makes it work for these types of kids.

Keep in mind that AAS resells really well too. Don't be afraid to get level 1 if he's really struggling and just start at the building blocks. He'll most likely get through it in a half of a year or less, but you'll be able to get your moneys worth. I started my son on level 1 in 4th grade and it built a strong foundation. My sister start her son there at an even later age (probably 11 or 12) and he has done great.

I would recommend the tiles (easy to resell also, even by themselves). You can certainly get away with not having them and just using paper. you may want to consider you colored pencil to change colors for consonants, vowels, blends...).

I do not use the tiles very often with my kids. We just use a whiteboard. We get through the lesson much faster without them. However, it does provide tactile stimulation. I would only get them if you think your child would benefit from this type of learning.

I think it would be challenging to do it without the tiles. It could be done, it would just be a bit difficult to manipulate the words. If your child LOVED writing then maybe.

The magnets make it so it is less messy. It was time consuming to put them all on, but it wasn't hard. You do it once, and you don't have to do it again for the life of the program. You also have to separate the cards. There are cards for every level. I recommend you get the box for the cards as it is nice place to keep them.

I disagree. We found using the tiles really time consuming and frustrating. Moving them around made my kids want to scream. Waiting for my kids to slllllooooooowwwwly move them around and then pick up the ones that fell off because the design was so bad made me an angry teacher. I ditched them for my bad speller in book 3 and for my natural speller on step two or something. Writing was way easier. They don't love to write. But they're way past knowing their letters. I'm sure this is really different when you're using AAS with a really young kid, which I know is the norm. But my kids started it at age 8.

Honestly, I hated those #$%@ tiles so much. If I had a kid who needed to spell with something other than a whiteboard marker, I'd probably buy that Sound Literacy app.

Seconding to start with book 2 for an older child. There's a full review of everything in book 1 in the first step. She'll still probably fly through it, but I think it's too foundational to skip.

• Like 2

So with the review in book 2 would you say it still teaches it or is it more like just reminding them of what they learned in book 1. I hope that makes sense.

I disagree. We found using the tiles really time consuming and frustrating. Moving them around made my kids want to scream. Waiting for my kids to slllllooooooowwwwly move them around and then pick up the ones that fell off because the design was so bad made me an angry teacher. I ditched them for my bad speller in book 3 and for my natural speller on step two or something. Writing was way easier. They don't love to write. But they're way past knowing their letters. I'm sure this is really different when you're using AAS with a really young kid, which I know is the norm. But my kids started it at age 8.

Honestly, I hated those #$%@ tiles so much. If I had a kid who needed to spell with something other than a whiteboard marker, I'd probably buy that Sound Literacy app.

Seconding to start with book 2 for an older child. There's a full review of everything in book 1 in the first step. She'll still probably fly through it, but I think it's too foundational to skip.

So with the review in book 2 would you say it still teaches it or is it more like just reminding them of what they learned in book 1. I hope that makes sense.

The first step in Level 2 quickly reviews the concepts from Level 1. I did start my kids there, but ended up backing up and getting level 1 to fill in some gaps with regard to multiple sounds for letters, and rules like using K or C for the /k/ sound in words like cat vs. kept, doubling f/l/s at the end of words, using K or CK at the end of words, when to use ES for plurals etc.... If your son tends to leave sounds out of words or adds in extra letters, the easy segmenting activity in Level 1 lays the foundation for paying attention to all the sounds in a word and then writing what you hear. 

Here's a blog article about how to fast-track if your son does need the Level 1 content.

Do I need the interactive kit for level 2 as well? I'm looking at the website, but it's not clear.

You use the interactive kit throughout all 7 levels, but you only purchase it once.

Is your son a reluctant writer? If he is, I'd try the tiles. It got my son going, and then when he found he could write faster, he asked to use the tiles. But it made things palatable for him in the beginning (He was glad to not have to always write--they do still practice the words in writing, but he found it easier after first using the tiles. He was 11 when we started.) 

If he would just rather write you could use them for demonstrations only, or you can use underlining to show when two or more phonograms are working as a team. You want to show in some visible way that phonograms can be made up of multiple letters--and sometimes seeing the tiles to choose from would remind my kids of a phonogram they were forgetting, so it was helpful that way. But if it's going to be a detriment, you could use alternate methods.

Book 1 covers letter sounds and CVC words and breaking words into syllables. That's the bulk of it. It does feel like review, but for most 12 yos, doing a few days of review of these concepts will be plenty. It still starts you really early on.

You will need the spelling interactive kit (you may also want to get the box for the cards) and the teacher and student materials for Level 2. If you want to have the cards for Book 1 so you can use them to review, you could also buy the student materials only for Level 1. I don't know where your dd is with spelling, but I really suspect it won't be necessary.

Ds is a good reader but doesn't know how to spell. He is a reluctant writer for two reasons. One is that he doesn't want to spell words incorrectly but doesn't know how to spell. So, he asks how to spell every word he doesn't know, which slows the process a lot. Also, his handwriting, while good, is very labored and slow. He is a perfectionist when it comes to handwriting.

Sorry... oops, ds. I still think you probably want to start with Level 2. Does he commonly misspell CVC words? He's a good reader, so it seems unlikely that he doesn't know the letter sounds, but if he doesn't... then start with Level 1.

When DS was in 5th, I started him on level 2 on the advice of other posters. It was absolutely the right place for him and unless there are underlying issues (which it doesn't sound like) I'd recommend the same for your son.

We didn't use the tiles or any other doodads, just the TM. Because he wasn't a new writer (but like yours, just not good at the spelling piece) he flew through the first several workbooks in a year (2-5). To prevent him from feeling mortified at having such simple words, I strongly emphasized the importance of learning the rules. I let him make up his own sentences, too, since the ones provided were too simplistic for him (understandably since they are intended for a much younger student).

We started this year with a big review of L5 and have been working at one lesson per week in L6, reviewing previous lessons regularly. It has made a huge impact on his spelling, though I suspect we'll keep it up all the way through L7.

This is a flexible program. Don't feel hemmed in by the suggestions made for a younger student.

I think I will test him on cvc words, but I would say it's half and half. Some he knows, but he is really not clear on vowels like when to use e or a short a, he'll  just guess.

At age 12, this makes me wonder if there are learning issues at play. Good reader definitely does not mean good speller, but the disconnect between a 12 yo who reads a lot at his age/grade level yet might struggle to spell a word like cab or bed is pretty big.

• Like 1

At age 12, this makes me wonder if there are learning issues at play. Good reader definitely does not mean good speller, but the disconnect between a 12 yo who reads a lot at his age/grade level yet might struggle to spell a word like cab or bed is pretty big.

Agree. I didn't see that post. Maybe disregard my other post in that case.

Ds10 started with level 1 this year, but I moved him to 2 after a few weeks. His spelling was bad. Last year he misspelled almost everything. He has made so much progress with AAS. His spelling has improved remarkably. He usually writes the words on a whiteboard.

I found a test online for cvc words. I tested him on 50 words. He only stumbled on one vowel. He mixed up j/g a couple of times. Was not super confident overall but got 46/50 correct.

In AAS 1, students only work with the /g/ sound of g--not the /j/ sound--so if he was mixing up the /j/ sound of g with j, he'll get to cover that in Level 2. However, AAS 1 does cover more than CVC words. It will also cover ch, sh, th, ck, nk, and ng, beginning and ending consonant blends (felt, stop etc....) short vowel compound words, and simple open-vowel words (go, me, we etc...), plus the rules listed above. Check the test for whether to use 1 or 2 to see where to start. You might also look through the samples for Level 1, as that might help you see whether he would benefit or if it would be too easy. 

I moved him because he could spell most (maybe all) of the words in AAS 1 once he had practice spelling each sound he heard. He is doing between half a step and a step each day now in level two. I hope to make good progress through level three over the summer.

Starting at the beginning was good for him. He is spelling fairly easy words, but he is spelling them correctly and quickly. Being able to write the words without studying those particular words has boosted his confidence. He feels like he can learn to spell now.

He needed the explicit instruction. He didn't internalize any spelling words while learning to read.

We just started this with my 10yo and I hate the tiles, but I think she needs them. 

That app looks so good, but the price! Is there any other app that allows you to move around phonograms and build words? It looks like AAS's app doesn't allow the tiles to move. 

We just started this with my 10yo and I hate the tiles, but I think she needs them. 

That app looks so good, but the price! Is there any other app that allows you to move around phonograms and build words? It looks like AAS's app doesn't allow the tiles to move. 

Ages ago AAS promised an app like it, but never delivered. I think they ditched it so they just made a quickie version of their phonograms CD instead. I don't know of any others - and I haven't even used it. I just know it has gotten good reviews. It's specifically made to go with an O-G style program so I understand it blends pretty well with AAS. We just loathed those tiles. For the few times I have felt we really needed them, I have made little spelling pieces out of cardstock. So, for example, "eigh" was a tough one so I made that for him to use as needed and then eventually ditched it as he memorized a trick for it (I weighed my eight neighbors.)

• Like 1

Apparently the coding to make tiles move on an app is pretty complex and actually takes a ton of engineer time to design. If you think the price of Sound Literacy is bad - you should see the price of Barton's app. They charge at least that much per level and there are something like 8 levels. When questioned about it, Susan Barton responded that the app cost over $100,000 just to develop!

I don't know how the price compares, but there's also this one by Whizzimo. Through the settings you can change the tile colors to match the AAS tiles. It’s not an exact match, but the basics are the same.

You can also:

Use the tiles only for demonstrations and let your 10 yo write instead (My kids outgrew the tiles when they realized writing was faster--this is a natural progression. My youngest really liked the tiles and held onto them longer than needed--kids are all different.)

If she hates even the sight of them, or if you do, LOL! you can write for demos too. Use underlining or a box, or different colors to create a visual showing when 2 or more letters are working together as one phonogram. My oldest preferred demos on paper by the time he was in junior high, so I did that. Make it work for you! The ultimate goal is writing words fluently so that kids don't stumble on spelling as they try to write their ideas. Many kids need the tiles as a scaffolding tool, but there are work-arounds for kids who just don't like them.