Menu

Favorite timelines? Anyone hear of What on Earth books?

ExcitedMama

I just saw these, which are British:

http://www.whatonearthbooks.com

I ordered the Natural History one from Amazon but it looks like the world history timeline would have to be ordered from the publisher directly. I would like to have a world history timeline but I'm not sure where to order from. Any favorites? From looking at old threads I've found timeline figures but no ready made ones. Are there any good ready made ones? Thanks!

Yes!!!  Well, sort of.  

Amy Pak's History through the Ages has most timeline figures you could ever need.  But...they are black and white, you have to print them and color them, etc.

What we did...

I managed to get a ream of continuous feed print paper from Freecycle.  I drew a timeline on it....color-coding the Ancient period, Middle Ages, Early Modern, and Modern.  

I bought HTTA and went through the SoTW book that we were going to be working on.  I found all of the figures we would need and printed them on full sheet label paper.  Colored them in and put them aside.  As we went through the history book, we added timeline figures appropriate for each chapter.  

It was a fair bit of work up front but totally worth it.  

Yes!!!  Well, sort of.  

Amy Pak's History through the Ages has most timeline figures you could ever need.  But...they are black and white, you have to print them and color them, etc.

What we did...

I managed to get a ream of continuous feed print paper from Freecycle.  I drew a timeline on it....color-coding the Ancient period, Middle Ages, Early Modern, and Modern.  

I bought HTTA and went through the SoTW book that we were going to be working on.  I found all of the figures we would need and printed them on full sheet label paper.  Colored them in and put them aside.  As we went through the history book, we added timeline figures appropriate for each chapter.  

It was a fair bit of work up front but totally worth it.  

This sounds awesome!  Will you do it for me?  LOL  I have a DIY grammar game I printed out last summer and it's still sitting waiting to be cut into pieces.  *sigh*

This sounds awesome!  Will you do it for me?  LOL  I have a DIY grammar game I printed out last summer and it's still sitting waiting to be cut into pieces.  *sigh*

LOL!  Well, for the most part, it was quite relaxing to do all of the coloring!  Who doesn't enjoy coloring?

The most annoying, obnoxious part was sharpening the coloring pencils.  Lesson: Invest in decent coloring pencils.  CraZArt coloring pencils are NOT good quality.  

The other hard part was deciding which colors were appropriate for each piece.  

Otherwise, I did a bit every night over last summer.  I'll probably do the same this summer.  

• Like 1

Sweetpea, did you print and Color the wall size or the notebook size of the HTTA timeline figures? I would love dds to be able to color the figures but we're doing notebook size and the few pages I've printed so far don't seem to have tons of coloring area once the black line drawing is done.

Sweetpea, did you print and Color the wall size or the notebook size of the HTTA timeline figures? I would love dds to be able to color the figures but we're doing notebook size and the few pages I've printed so far don't seem to have tons of coloring area once the black line drawing is done.

I don't remember which....I think it was notebook size.  But...I copied and pasted each figure into a Word document.  Then I could resize the figure so it was the perfect size for the timeline.  Plus, I could print 5-6...sometimes 7 figures on one page.  

Because I printed on full sheet label paper, it basically made a giant sticker and I could cut out each figure as we went.  

No chance of something I can just buy in color then?

If anyone is interested I received the prehistoric timeline and it was great so I ordered the What on Earth sticker books. I ordered the history timeline and the history of science. I think it's going to be like a filled in timeline but with places to put the stickers so hopefully it will be interactive enough to help DS remember more.

I adore the Classical Conversations Acts & Facts History Timeline cards (or whatever they are called).  They are pricey but I think they were worth it for me.  I really think they will come in handy as we get older (we're not even doing CC next year--they're just useful in general).  

Otherwise, my son makes an index card-timeline-card for each history chapter we read.  When we read history. Which is not weekly!!!  But it's effective--a sort of picture narration approach that we can hang on the wall. 

These What on Earth timelines look wonderful! It is hard to find secular timelines. Was the first one you ordered a sticker book or a wallbook? I can't decide which to buy. It looks like the wallbooks have more info, but the sticker books will be fun. I am thinking of the big history and the science ones. We have the Charlie's Playhouse evolution timeline, so the natural history one would be redundant for us.

Choices, choices...

Also, I found them at Book Depository:

http://m.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=what+on+earth+Christopher+Lloyd

There are pocket book sizes on there too if people want something small. I wonder what the What on Earth Happened and What on Earth Evolved books are like...

The Natural History one I ordered is the Wallbook and it looks great. I've read so much here about Charlie's Playhouse but haven't seen it come back in stock so I thought I'd go with this one since I couldn't find anything anything else for pre-history. I ordered the other two as sticker books. I found them under other sellers in Amazon, I haven't checked your link but I think the Book Depository may have been one of the sellers. Haven't received them yet but hopefully they will be fun for DS to do slowly as I get around to adding in history. He's really interested in science and inventing so I'm hoping he will like the science one to do slowly and add in related books to it. From what I could see the mini books did not get great reviews because the font was considered too small. I think the sticker books might have the same info as the Wallbooks from what I could see from the samples. It looked like the same timeline but with some pictures removed to have the stickers put in.

Thanks for recommending CC I will go look them up. I'm surprised that there really do not seem to be a bunch of options for timelines. I've seen so many references to timelines in blogs and jokes about being a real homeschooler if you have one up in your dining room I thought there would be more options.

• Like 1

I just spent a bunch of time comparing the sticker books to the wallbooks. They are similar, but the wallbooks definitely have a lot more info and are larger. However, for elementary I think the sticker books are probably more interesting as they have an interactive component. I will be ordering the sticker books.

I also checked out the book by the same author, "What on Earth Happened". There is a review (I think it was on Amazon UK) where a homeschool parent mentioned it was good for her 10+ year olds who had previously enjoyed SOTW. It is written in a story format, but at a higher level. I will probably be ordering that too!

I will add that the CC timeline is extensive; that is, there's a LOT of cards. I dealt with this by buying 1-2 packs at a time and organizing them (I have four small binders w/ the correct-size page protectors, one for each card).  So I sort of built the library that way, b/c I really was not going to throw down the money for everything all at once.  Anyhow, just FYI, if you do go that route.  I can take or leave CC in general (we are leaving it next year) but I'm glad I invested in the timeline cards over the course of several months a couple of years ago. I like the artwork a lot as well.