Menu

Is there any danger to losing weight too fast

BlsdMama

IF you are eating well and healthily?

We've been eating THM for 15 days now. Eating plenty, lots of healthy food, but the pounds are coming off really fast. I'm glad but I didn't think weight should come off so fast. I feel fantastic but I do wonder about this.

DH -8lbs

DD -9lbs

Me - 12 lbs

Depends. I'm not familiar with THM. At this point, as with all initial weightloss, it's probably a lot of water weight and glycogen loss from your muscle stores dependng on carbohydrate intake. I'd be more concerned with sustainability - as in, can you eat this way for the rest of your life? Otherwise, there's always the risk that you gain it all back when you decide to end the "diet."

• Like 2

If you are losing weight too fast you can be losing muscle mass or water rather than fat. Losing one to two pounds a week is considered healthy weight loss. You can lose more or lose weight quickly but if your diet is a very low calorie one you should be under a doctor's care while on that diet. I don't even know what THM stands for (yes, I can google and maybe I will later) but you say you are eating healthy which is good. Still, that much loss in just two weeks is probably not fat loss, which I presume is what you hope to lose.

Not really. Great job!

I think the gallstone thing is more with ultralowfat diets and prolonged fasting.

No, it's weight loss, somehow. I don't know how. I don't know that science has been done to definitively determine it, either.

OP, I would keep a look out, but it may have been initial water weight and will slow down. Make sure you are not feeling fatigued and that you're getting enough calories.

Gallstones are usually not very serious, and don't present the same risks as a chronically poor diet that is high in sugar and low in nutrients, so I say go for it. If you continue to lose too fast, eat more! Woot! I myself prefer adding whipped cream (whole, organic, no sugar or additives, just homemade whipped cream) to my coffee.

Congratulations on your losses! Enjoy them as long as they last. You're doing just fine and there are no deleterious side effects to quick losses on a safe program, under which THM qualifies.

We always tell people on my weight loss boards to just rejoice for each easily lost pound. It's great :)

Many people lose weight more rapidly at first.  I wouldn't worry.  If you continue at that rate, you could have gallstones or the like.  I'm having gallbladder surgery Tuesday because of rapid weight loss (but I had surgical help so the first several months were very fast).  

My neighbor has been doing THM and is doing beautifully!