Menu

Article on learning disorders and giftedness

https://theconversation.com/intellectually-gifted-students-often-have-learning-disabilities-37276

I came across this article the other day. It says learning disorders occur more in gifted kids then in the general population. It talks about the difficulty of meeting their needs. I am not sure of their sample size and selection method but it is worth exploring more.

• Like 4

Most districts these days don't do routine gifted testing but they have to do IEP evals on kids with suspected LD's. Parents are also more likely to pay for private IQ testing of a 2e gifted underachiever than for a high-achiever.

All 3 of mine could probably use a full NP eval but the only one who is for sure having it done is the child with the most severe discrepancy between the strengths and weaknesses.

Most districts these days don't do routine gifted testing but they have to do IEP evals on kids with suspected LD's. Parents are also more likely to pay for private IQ testing of a 2e gifted underachiever than for a high-achiever.

All 3 of mine could probably use a full NP eval but the only one who is for sure having it done is the child with the most severe discrepancy between the strengths and weaknesses.

Same here. I am considering it for my child with the biggest discrepancy even though my other child who is old enough could probably use one too.