Menu

For those with spouses in careers that make corporate transfers

Seasider

What is the latest age/stage of life that you think you'd be willing to accept a corporate relocation? If you've hit your 50s and you have kids in college, would you accept a good relocation, or would you want to stay put?

For those who've moved a fair distance at this age, did you find you had the energy (physical, mental, emotional) to make the move well?

• Like 1

It was not a matter of choice as we saw it. Dh and I could not have stayed in the small area where we were living without him having a job. Other jobs were not comparable in that area. So we moved. It was about 2 driving hours away. We are now settled and there have been many good points about it. Now and then I have a flashback of the old way of life. But I feel much of life is rolling with the punches...

ETA: We were in our mid-forties when we made the move. Our ds was still living in the area for a short time until he moved out of state - unrelated to our move.

• Like 1

We have made multiple corporate moves. The most recent was four years ago, and it was our biggest move ever (overseas). I was 47 and DH was 52.

I had/have the energy for it. It has been an adventure! But that isn't to say that it has always been easy. Of course not.

Edited: I had our ages wrong. Oops!

• Like 1

What is the latest age/stage of life that you think you'd be willing to accept a corporate relocation? If you've hit your 50s and you have kids in college, would you accept a good relocation, or would you want to stay put?

For those who've moved a fair distance at this age, did you find you had the energy (physical, mental, emotional) to make the move well?

We made a move a year and a half ago. DH is 42. Would we do it again? Not out of state anymore at our kids' ages but if our youngest was in college? I think so. We worry about aging parents. If that wasn't a factor and kids were in school then yes. Our moves are usually about 3-4 years and the company does all the moving for us though.
  • Like 1

We are in our 40s and wouldn't mind a transfer if it would work for the kids, especially if the kids were grown.  There would be a few parameters like being within a hour or two of an international airport and a major city.   

• Like 1

We go where we need to go.  This wasn't part of the package we originally signed onto --- but, we have at least one, possibly two more moves before we can retire (this doesn't include our move BACK to the states).  It isn't always easy or fun -- but I'd rather move and be employed than stay.

• Like 8

My grandfather was transferred to Hong Kong for a couple years after my father and his siblings had all left the house. My grandmother viewed it as a big adventure and she loved it. She learned to cook Chinese food and bought a ton of furniture and knicknacks that they shipped back so her house in rural Texas had this out of place Chinese influence that I loved. :) Once your kids leave the house, seems like the perfect time to do something a little crazy. ;)

• Like 6

We transferred from Hong Kong/China (Husband was working in Hong Kong, doing a weekly commute back to the family in China) to Scotland six years ago, when Husband was 52 and I was 46.  Energy levels were fine - not a problem.  We still had children at home, but home educating made the move easier than if they had been in school.

Something to consider: people in their fifties have a hard time getting new jobs, so if the transfer will in any way affect the position in the company, I would think twice about it.  In our case, two years after we moved Husband was let go.  It took him three years to get back to a break-even level of income, we are not back where we were (although comfortable) and he had to turn to free-lance work.

• Like 1

I'm not there yet and maybe never will be -- our youngest is only 12 even though my husband and I practically 100 years old, lol -- but I think (?) it'd be easier once the kids are off to college.  They're the ones that complicate things emotionally and logistically...

Job stuff notwithstanding, and though I like our town quite a bit, I'm eager to downsize and simplify and see new places / try new things once they're launched.  I'm sure we'll move once the kids are all launched, whether or not it's job-driven.

• Like 1

For me it's the other way around... When is the earliest I'd be willing to move? We moved a ton for work the first few years of the kids' lives. Right now we want to stay put, but eventually I'd love to luv a bit in SF, Boston, Paris...

• Like 2

Thanks for the input. We've had to move from places we loved because of positions being eliminated, but that's not typical for his employer. Other moves were because my husband's skill set fit a need in a different location. Early in his career it was a career killer to decline a transfer, but after a long stint with the same company, he can turn down moves without losing his job.

I just don't know if I have it in me! I usually have a great sense of adventure, but the thought of once again building new support systems (church, doctors, social groups, etc) is daunting. I think I will feel better when we have some solid info - it's still a bit fluid right now, but a shuffle appears to be in the works. I keep thinking about how it will affect my college kids. I suppose it's not really any different than if they chose a school across country rather than fairly close.

• Like 2

I have told DH that I am ready to move anytime now. I have been since baby was 2 months old (18 months ago). I was ready before that, as long as I wasn't pregnant. However it would have been more complicated with frozen embryos here. We don't have those now so we are as free as a bird... with a mortgage. 😄😄 I honestly don't think I will be too old. My grandparents moved to their current house in their 70's. Grandma is still there, grandpa passed.

If your kids are not in a public school ,getting In State tuition, probably go for it. GL

Most states allow the student to continue getting in-state tuition with bona fide residence. There may be paperwork involved but likely if the parents move halfway through, the child will not suddenly lose in-state status.

Also, can I say... I moved for my own transfers, as well as for his. It was easier to move for my own. ;)

Most states allow the student to continue getting in-state tuition with bona fide residence. There may be paperwork involved but likely if the parents move halfway through, the child will not suddenly lose in-state status.

Also, can I say... I moved for my own transfers, as well as for his. It was easier to move for my own. ;)

This is a detail we will be checking closely, what happens to a student's residency status when parents move.

• Like 1