Menu

Curriculum recs: almost 8 year old boy

Jerico

My son is very independent and just wants to sit down, do school, and move on to something else. When we do math, he rarely uses manipulatives. We use saxon math and that is going fine for us.

For la we are just doing copywork. I'd like to find a complete, independent, no frills language arts program.

I'm considering gswl for either the upcoming year or the next. Then maybe visual latin. He really wants to learn greek. I'm considering greek code cracker and then maybe elementary greek.

We cover history via literature. And science is more outdoors right now.

I would prefer to not spend a lot of money :)

So, what would you suggest?

[my second son is pretty much the exact opposite of course!]

Well, no frills, complete, and independent makes Rod and Staff English come to mind for me. My DS used it for most of third grade. He did need a little help from me, but he usually likes the interaction and is not very independent yet! For reading, I used Memoria Press books and lit guides. Once again, those can be independent if your DS would prefer to read, then answer questions in a workbook. My DS preferred to talk about it, but the guides are very good IMO.

Good luck!

CLE (Christian Light Education), is good also.  The LA is very similar to R&S except a work text format.  It's self teaching so children can work through things on their own.  Their math and LA are their best programs.  

For la we are just doing copywork. I'd like to find a complete, independent, no frills language arts program.

I would prefer to not spend a lot of money :)

So, what would you suggest?

I would go for efficiency, but not independence quite yet.  7/8 is very young still...in fact, young enough that I'd still be trying to light some fires of interest in LA.

My 8yo (9 in June) is finishing up Essentials in Spelling Grade 2 linked in my siggie and Treadwell's 2nd reader (I have saved all of the lessons I've written, and these will be published very soon.)  It has been a great year, and he has gone from barely copying legibly to writing independent sentences in his free time, from reading with staggered decoding to finding the stories in Treadwell "too easy." 

The combo of these two things (with some Sentence Family added in for some basic grammar) has made LA run smoothly for him this year.  His lessons are 10-15min each which works for him. That leaves him plenty of time for the things he finds important, still getting the LA work done.  I'm getting his 3rd grade ready right now so we won't have to change things up.