Menu

Latin Prep, Loving it!

StartingOver

The age of the child would matter in answering that question. And if you are learning along side or not. We did Lively Latin after finishing FLL4, so the Grammar wasn't too much for my son. I work along side him too. He is almost 9.

We really enjoyed Lively Latin it moved much slower with more review.

I think a 10 year old or older child could skip LL completely.

• Like 1

Ten is a good age for starting Latin Prep, I think - I wouldn't do it earlier.  And it does start from the beginning, with no assumption of background.  It's really important to learn the grammar as you go along though: it won't say 'Now learn this' but later chapters will assume that the grammar in earlier chapters has been learned.

The author said that the grammar should be learned to 'three in the morning' standard - if someone were to shake you awake in the middle of the night, you would still be able to come out with it.

• Like 3

We're planning do to Latin Prep next year, after going through 3 stages of Cambridge Latin because DD has decided she needs something more explicit as far as the labeling goes after a Latin exam where she could do the translations easily, but not the identification-type stuff.

I'm hoping she enjoys it.

• Like 1

I figure we'll get the workbooks. Both because I need stuff DD can do independently as much as possible (we have a good number of long drives, where I can talk to her, but I can't sit with her and see what she's doing due to her science stuff) and that the book itself is likely to be review, but actually writing the stuff should help her put it on what she already knows.

I do wish I could just order everything from one place. So far, I have shopping carts at Amazon, Rainbow Resource, and Book Depository UK for next year-and I need to do a chemical order, too!

• Like 2

I figure we'll get the workbooks. Both because I need stuff DD can do independently as much as possible (we have a good number of long drives, where I can talk to her, but I can't sit with her and see what she's doing due to her science stuff) and that the book itself is likely to be review, but actually writing the stuff should help her put it on what she already knows.

I do wish I could just order everything from one place. So far, I have shopping carts at Amazon, Rainbow Resource, and Book Depository UK for next year-and I need to do a chemical order, too!

Doesn't Ray @ Horrible Books sell all the Galore Park books?

http://www.horriblebooks.com/galoreparkbooklist.htm

• Like 1