Menu

After AAS 7

Mama2two

My nine year old is in Level 7 of AAS.  She is very strong in all language arts and a natual speller.  However, because she is so young I really don't want to quit spelling all togethe and would like her to have practice and continue to work on harder words.

I was considering a program studying root words, but we do Latin so didn't know if it would be redundant?

Looks like IEW has an Advanced spelling program, anyone know anything about it?

Any suggestions?

Glencoe's Spelling Power workbooks are free and go up through grade 12. Links are listed in this thread: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/475439-glencoe-spelling-power-vocabulary-power-workbook-free-pdf-gr-6-12/

Alternatively, you could use Hexco Academic's spelling bee prep materials.

Those links don't work anymore :(

ETA: I found the files on another site here! :)

The following links are Glencoes 6th-12th grade Language Arts curriculum available as PDFS. These are student texts only, I didn't see any Teachers Guides. The material for grades 6-11 are found on a Teachers Class Website: The material for grade 12 was searched out individually and links were harvested from Google.

6th grade:

Spelling Power and Grammar Practice and Grammar Enrichment and Vocabulary and Writing Composition

7th grade:

Spelling Power and Grammar Practice and Grammar Enrichment and Vocabulary and Writing Composition

8th grade:

9th grade:

10th grade:

11th grade:

12th grade:

Spelling Power and Grammar and Language Arts

My nine year old is in Level 7 of AAS.  She is very strong in all language arts and a natual speller.  However, because she is so young I really don't want to quit spelling all togethe and would like her to have practice and continue to work on harder words.

I was considering a program studying root words, but we do Latin so didn't know if it would be redundant?

Looks like IEW has an Advanced spelling program, anyone know anything about it?

Any suggestions?

Have you looked at the last lesson in 7, which has a plan for life-long learning?

I would continue roots study with a student strong in spelling, but probably wouldn't do further spelling curricula--doesn't seem like she really needs it!

My dd will finish AAS7 this summer and we will continue to use Spelling Bee prep materials, primarily because of her age and the fact that she loves to do it. If your dd enjoys that sort of thing it is a lot of fun, and has turned into a root study/vocabulary study. If not, then I would think Latin combined with her writing might be enough, especially with maybe adding in a vocab component-some of which she will get from root study.

We love the games from Rummy Roots and the Greek/Latin roots cards for a more informal study if she would enjoy that:)

When spelling became redundant for my oldest, I started her on vocabulary study instead. She could spell words well above her grade level but she didn't know what they meant, so instead of just spelling words I had her concentrate on their meanings and how to use them in a sentence. We used Wordly Wise, but you wouldn't have to use a workbook for this--just pick words from books she is reading.