Menu

Losing weight too fast?

fruitofthewomb

I started using My Fitness Pal to track calories 11 days ago. I added in 20-30 min of low impact aerobic exercise a week ago. I have lost 9 lbs. I needed to lose 50. I had planned on losing 2 lbs. a week. Is this just what happens when you have a lot to lose? Or am I not taking in enough calories? I have never counted calories before or exercised more than 2 days In a row.

MFP gave me 1670 calories-some days I go a little over & some days I am under. I was hungry first few days but not much any more (afternoons are when I feel hungry so I try to eat something low cal then).

I hate you.

Just kidding... :laugh:

Yes, those with more to lose usually lose faster at first.

I know. I almost didn't post it bc it seems like a good problem to have. But I have never lost this much this fast (unless you count the last stomach bug I had). I don't want to screw up my system!

My DH always loses super fast. So maybe it isn't a big deal. It will be hard though when the scale stops moving so quickly.

It is also easier and faster to lose weight the first time you start dieting. It is easier if you are younger. If you are younger, it probably won't give you any problems to have it come off so quickly. Your skin still has enough elasticity to handle the drop. If you are older, it will result in really saggy, baggy skin (especially BooKs). That can be true even if you are younger and it is a ton of weight/50 lbs is not (believe it or not).

No, it is totally normal for the first couple of weeks to have a very rapid drop. Most of this is unfortunately water and not fat, although of course some of it is fat. Be happy and encouraged, but do not expect it to continue.

Here's a website explaining why: http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19058097.php-- it is aimed at low carb dieters, but anyone who is eating at a significant calorie deficit will also experience glycogen depletion.

You are probably shedding a lot of water weight also, and Ugg, fecal matter. Happens to me every time I start to lose weight. It's not all fat that you are losing. But good for you for trying! Hopefully along with the water you are losing the 2 lb a week and will be on target in the future.

• Like 1