Menu

What is a sports jacket?

Night Elf

Ds was awarded a small scholarship for college. He must attend a scholarship luncheon. Someone suggested he wear nice khakis, a button down shirt, and coat which I think she meant a sports jacket. I've never bought anything like that before. Would any color jacket go with black pants? Are there certain types of materials to avoid? I'd rather buy online but we'll need to go to the store and size him first. The pictures I see online look like regular suit jackets except they are being worn with jeans. What makes a sports jacket different from a suit coat?

Basically a sports jacket is a type of suit jacket. Unlike a suit jacket it does not come with matching pants as it is meant to be worn with all kinds of pants. Often they will have a pattern, such as hounds tooth, but they also are available as solid colors.

If your son already owns a suit he could just wear the suit.

• Like 2

Classic for this sort of thing would be khaki (colored, not black) pants and a blue blazer. Black casual pants are going to be harder to match with a blazer. I would not buy a men's jacket online, personally. Fitting is difficult. Do you have a Men's Wearhouse available? Are you in the Atlanta area? If so, there is a huge men's store called "K&G" that might be good as well--lots of selection, not tip-top quality, so prices were quite reasonable.

• Like 1

Classic for this sort of thing would be khaki (colored, not black) pants and a blue blazer. Black casual pants are going to be harder to match with a blazer. I would not buy a men's jacket online, personally. Fitting is difficult. Do you have a Men's Wearhouse available? Are you in the Atlanta area? If so, there is a huge men's store called "K&G" that might be good as well--lots of selection, not tip-top quality, so prices were quite reasonable.

What about tan khakis? I looked at Mens Wearhouse online to get an idea and the cheapest sports jacket they have is $160. I think that's a bit extreme for something he may wear only once.

What about tan khakis? I looked at Mens Wearhouse online to get an idea and the cheapest sports jacket they have is $160. I think that's a bit extreme for something he may wear only once.

Has he reached his full height?  It could be an investment....

• Like 1

We recently bought ds1 a suit and according to the salesperson at Men's Wearhouse the younger men are wearing dark gray these days. If you already have black pants you might look for a dark gray jacket. I've been fortunate to find jackets on clearance for both my sons (at different times) at Kohls. Actually it was kind of a miracle since they both take longs and only a few jackets were on the rack.

Another thought--since it's just for one day is there a friend you could borrow a jacket from?

• Like 1

I have a Sports Jacket made of Corduroy. It is light Brown (tan?).   I wear it when we go to Bogota, where I am usually very cold.  Here in In Cali it is much warmer and I would only wear it to a more "formal" event where some kind of jacket is appropriate for men..  Very practical.

I was thinking of checking Kohls since that is my go-to for clothing for all of us. Then I thought I'd hit the department stores like JCPenneys and Macys. I like the idea of Mens Wearhouse, I'm just worried about the prices. Will they fit him? I feel bad about going in and having him fitted and then not buy anything, but I could ask what they have on clearance I guess.

the *biggest* difference between a sport coat and a suit coat - is they don't match the pants.

the 2nd difference is the fabric is usually more rough.  (even a cashmere sport coat isn't as fine as a cashmere suit coat.)

I would not wear a navy sport coat with black pants.

gray, olive, tan (e.g. camel's hair). plaid (only if you must), herringbone, etc.

eta:

depending upon your son's age - get a quality/decent sport coat as he will be wearing one at different things in college - and job interviews (including internships as a student.)

I'm not familiar with khols. speaking as a mom who has done serious multiple suit shopping with dh, and 1&2dss -  do. not. bother. with men's warehouse.  they are SO overpriced it's not funny.  I think I finally got it through to DH they are. not. worth. my time.  (he drags me there.)  we've gotten better deals at BROOKS BROTHERS outlets than men's warehouse! better quality and cost less.  win-win. (that should *really* tell you something. I think you can shop them online if you don't have one near you.)

I've never liked penny's for suit stuff. (do like their shirts)  macy's - watch for sales, and check the sale racks.

if you have a Nordstrom rack near you - check that too.

especially if he is still in the scrawny stage - tjmaxx, ross, marshall's can sometimes have stuff.  but it's hit and miss on sizes.

• Like 1

DS19 needed a jacket for a similar event.  He is on the skinny side with broad shoulders so has to try everything on.

We hit kohl's but they didn't have the Slim Fit jackets in stock in his size.  We ended up buying from the clearance rack at Men's Warehouse and got a nice dark grey tweed with leather patches on the elbows for $60  The price included alterations if he had needed them (he didn't).

DS19 wore tan pants, white shirt, tie and his new jacket.  He looked sharp and he has the jacket now for job interviews this summer.

It would be a bit of a gamble, but I would go browse a thrift store or two (preferably in a more upscale area).  I've had great luck finding nice, almost-new formal clothes at the thrift store because so many people only wear them a couple times before donating them.  In my neck of the woods, it would not be at all unusual to find a like-new Haggar or Perry Ellis sport coat at Goodwill for ~$10; add in pants, shirt and tie and the outfit is complete for less than $30 total.

Wendy

• Like 3

For this situation, I would look at thrift stores first.  Then invest into getting it tailored.  Otherwise, go into a Men's Warehouse and let them know that you want something for under $100. They will try to upsell you on shirts and ties, just say no.  The nice thing about MW is that they do alterations for free (as far as I remember).  A cheaper place to go is Sears or JCP.  Sometimes they have someone on staff who is very good at fitting, and sometimes it is just a random person assigned to that department for the day.  Call ahead and find out if there is an experienced person in the department and when they will be there.  Especially for someone with ASD, you don't want to waste your time with someone who doesn't know what they are doing. 

It would be a bit of a gamble, but I would go browse a thrift store or two (preferably in a more upscale area). I've had great luck finding nice, almost-new formal clothes at the thrift store because so many people only wear them a couple times before donating them. In my neck of the woods, it would not be at all unusual to find a like-new Haggar or Perry Ellis sport coat at Goodwill for ~$10; add in pants, shirt and tie and the outfit is complete for less than $30 total.

Wendy

I was going to suggest this. You could probably find a good quality sports jacket for a good price at a thrift store. Especially since he likely won't wear it much, why spend too much money?

I was thinking of checking Kohls since that is my go-to for clothing for all of us. Then I thought I'd hit the department stores like JCPenneys and Macys. I like the idea of Mens Wearhouse, I'm just worried about the prices. Will they fit him? I feel bad about going in and having him fitted and then not buy anything, but I could ask what they have on clearance I guess.

At his age, I would suggest Kohls. You will be able to get decent quality for a reasonable price. They typically have a decent range that work well with khakis and other typical attire for the younger guys.

The thrift stores around here are loaded with good quality sports jackets so that would be the first place I'd check out. We have 3 Goodwill's within 15 minutes of us and another great thrift store within that range. I'd spend an hour or 2 looking there before going for something new. But then I'm the person who can't afford new most times.

I'd look for a classic (dark, not medium) navy blazer.

A blazer would be between the formal cut of a suit jacket, and the more informal sports coat. A blazer both comfortable and sharp looking. Further, a blazer can be paied with charcoal slacks, nice dress shoes, and good tie to create a look formal enough for most occasions that call for a suit, can be dressed down a little with khakais and less dressy shoes, and even paired with jeans (and no tie) for an informal (but neat look).

It is the most versatile choice IMO.

Bill

• Like 7

The thrift stores around here are loaded with good quality sports jackets so that would be the first place I'd check out. We have 3 Goodwill's within 15 minutes of us and another great thrift store within that range. I'd spend an hour or 2 looking there before going for something new. But then I'm the person who can't afford new most times.

That's what I was going to suggest. I buy new stuff for my ds15 because he gets a lot of use out of them, but if this is something that will only be worn once or twice, try church thrift shops and Goodwill. If the fit isn't quite perfect but the price is right, your local tailor can alter it to make it fit him properly.

I agree with Bill that navy blue would be the best choice. It's classic, and also seems more suited to a young man than some of the patterned or textured fabrics. If you can't find navy, go with charcoal. He could also wear dark trousers with a camel colored jacket. If you're not familiar with current cuts and styles of jackets, look at the online selection at some high end men's clothing websites for ideas.

• Like 1

Through Sunday, they have whole suits for $199. Went yesterday. They are decent suits. He will have plenty of opportunities to wear suits once his in college.

I'd look for a classic (dark, not medium) navy blazer.

A blazer would be between the formal cut of a suit jacket, and the more informal sports coat. A blazer both comfortable and sharp looking. Further, a blazer can be paied with charcoal slacks, nice dress shoes, and good tie to create a look formal enough for most occasions that call for a suit, can be dressed down a little with khakais and less dressy shoes, and even paired with jeans (and no tie) for an informal (but neat look).

It is the most versatile choice IMO.

Bill

Agree completely. A blue blazer can be dressed up or down, works in all seasons. It would be a much better investment than a sports coat. And no black pants.

Be careful shopping -- ask about alterations. In some stores they are free; in others (like Men's Warehouse) they cost $$. But fit is important for a blazer or jacket. Also check out Lands End. For khakis, we have had good luck with the Merona brand from Target. Check out Target for men's shoes too. If you are lucky, you will find some traditional, classic styles amid the junk.

Oh, another place to look is H&M, if you have one nearby. Very inexpensive, yet stylish, edgy. Most of the clothes are on the skinny side though. But if they fit, they can look good.

I like to make sure that a tie is decent. Since it is so close to a person's face, it gets noticed a lot.

ETA. You might want to check with more than one person about attire. Often people do not expect college age kids to dress up too much.

It would be a bit of a gamble, but I would go browse a thrift store or two (preferably in a more upscale area).  I've had great luck finding nice, almost-new formal clothes at the thrift store because so many people only wear them a couple times before donating them.  In my neck of the woods, it would not be at all unusual to find a like-new Haggar or Perry Ellis sport coat at Goodwill for ~$10; add in pants, shirt and tie and the outfit is complete for less than $30 total.

Wendy

My first suit was from Goodwill.

Many people who are sensitive to clothes learn to wear less comfortable clothing for short periods of time as they reach the teen years and 20s.

I would suggest that while making a small child feel like his skin is burning would be inappropriate, asking an older teen to make the sacrifice and wear a jacket and slacks is acceptable.

I am very sensitive to fabrics and count the days to casual Fridays.

H&M is a GREAT place for blazers.

He will have plenty of opportunities to wear suits once his in college.

I hope this doesn't come across as rude, but I do not live in that universe. The only people in suits where I went to college (four-year) were the college president and the Mormon missionaries. They did look snappy, though.

I hope this doesn't come across as rude, but I do not live in that universe. The only people in suits where I went to college (four-year) were the college president and the Mormon missionaries. They did look snappy, though.

I didn't mean to class............ but for special events and programs. Like induction ceremonies, special trips, internship interviews.

• Like 2

I didn't mean to class............ but for special events and programs. Like induction ceremonies, special trips, internship interviews.

My son wears the suit we bought him the summer before college for performances with his opera and musical theatre ensembles, for the vocal competition his voice teacher insisted he do this spring and for "dress up" social events. Having it has come in very handy.

• Like 2