Jump to content


Accountant anyone? Quick question re: taxes


Recommended Posts

Hello!  It's been awhile since I've visited the boards and I've missed you all....and honestly, I miss homeschooling.


I have a quick question for anyone who might know.


Our divorce decree says that XH claims one child and I claim the other child. Both children live with me more than 1/2 of the year. Does the non custodial parent need to have the IRS Form 8332 to claim a child on their taxes? 


Thanks to anyone who might know!



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, Form 8332 is required.  In fact, I filled out an 8332 for each kid to cover all of the years between the divorce decree and when the kids turn 18 so that I don't have to remember to do it each year.  We switch off kids each year (take turns) when filing, so I made a form for one kid with the odd years, and a form for the other with the even years; he can just make a copy of whichever one he needs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...