Menu

Sturdy backpack?

I would love recommendations for sturdy backpacks.  I was surprised by the lack of quality at the local university bookstore.  I have a daughter attending community college and I'm amazed how heavy her books are.  This year we're trying out Adidas.

We've found that the Jansport Big Student holds up well, and carries a lot more books (and other stuff) than most school-oriented backpacks.  It's got a capacity of 2100 cubic inches (34 liters) which is quite a bit more than most and handy for weekend trips as well as actual book-carrying.  We've also found it generally fits under airline seats.  Plus, it comes in a huge variety of fabric designs; they seem to create new ones on an ongoing basis.  

• Like 2

I want to give another plug for LL Bean.  I used the same one through high school, college, and grad school.  I bought our son one when he was little and it still is in perfect condition.  They have a great range of sizes to fit all needs.

• Like 1

Just a question...why is she carting her books back and forth?  I cannot think of many of my classes which actually used the text book.  It was for my reading/studying and assignments but not for class.  Math was an exception, but other than that, I cannot think of any others.

Interesting. I'm pretty sure I took my books to all my college classes. There were rare exceptions, but that was the rule. My dd carries her books.

• Like 2

Just a question...why is she carting her books back and forth?  I cannot think of many of my classes which actually used the text book.  It was for my reading/studying and assignments but not for class.  Math was an exception, but other than that, I cannot think of any others.

:)  I asked her.  She said she does use her books in her classes that have labs. Also, she uses public transportation, so she studies while waiting for the bus (sometimes a couple hours).

• Like 1

LL Bean. They are pricey but have a lifetime replacement guarantee. Get the top of the line (with the bottom storage area for lunches or stinky gym clothes).

Is it the Turbo Transit? My older need a backpack for his outside classes where there is a separate compartment to dump his sweater. He likes his stationary separate from his books so the more compartments the merrier.

http://m.llbean.com/product.html?&page=turbo-transit-pack&skCatId=64778#64778

• Like 1

I would love recommendations for sturdy backpacks.  I was surprised by the lack of quality at the local university bookstore.  I have a daughter attending community college and I'm amazed how heavy her books are.  This year we're trying out Adidas.

SwissGear backpacks are very heavy duty and hold up well. I have been using one for years to tote heavy books and a laptop and it is still just as good as new. I've been amazed at its quality (even tho I think it only cost about $50).  Here is a similar one:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/506177/SwissGear-Student-Backpack-For-15-Laptops/

• Like 2

My kids did really well with JanSport backpacks. They held up for years and really never wore out. They just got tired of them and moved to different styles.

I had a JanSport backpack that went through my last 2 years of high school, 2 gap years, through about 6 years of college (had kids what can you expect) and then 2 years post college.  All while being stuffed to the gills most times it was being carried.  It only died because my cat peed on it.....

Stefanie

• Like 1

Is it the Turbo Transit? My older need a backpack for his outside classes where there is a separate compartment to dump his sweater. He likes his stationary separate from his books so the more compartments the merrier.

http://m.llbean.com/product.html?&page=turbo-transit-pack&skCatId=64778#64778

Yep, that's it. I also found him a plastic accordion type file that opened on the short end so he could just unzip the top of the backpack and pull out his assignments. He got himself a tablet (has never used a laptop) and was SET.

Since this particular kiddo *has* to have PE every day in order to concentrate in class, he always has gym clothes and mass quantities of food to tote around. 

I got my high school dd the slightly smaller one w/o the bottom compartment. She'll be hauling it to CC next fall.

• Like 2