Menu

LOE Foundation Cursive users - Penmanship Questions

Abeilles

I'm starting my 5 1/2 yo DD on Foundation A and we are using the cursive Student manual. My questions - When do you teach manuscript? When they have mastered cursive or do you teach cursive and manuscript for each letter at the same time?  Finally, do you buy another book for penmanship practice once they are writing? Would Pentime work or is there enough practice in the student books? Thank you in advance!

I'm starting my 5 1/2 yo DD on Foundation A and we are using the cursive Student manual. My questions - When do you teach manuscript? When they have mastered cursive or do you teach cursive and manuscript for each letter at the same time?  Finally, do you buy another book for penmanship practice once they are writing? Would Pentime work or is there enough practice in the student books? Thank you in advance!

I asked an LOE rep this question last year and decided that I would introduce manuscript in 2nd grade. My K'er is finishing Foundations B and will do C & D next year for 1st. I'll use Rhythm of Handwriting Manuscript in 2nd grade to teach manuscript. It should be super easy for him and by that time his cursive handwriting should be well established. As far as continued cursive practice, I plan to have him write across subjects in cursive so hopefully he won't need a cursive handwriting book. If it seems like he needs more practice, I'll make copywork sheets for him using the free handwriting sheet downloads, creating sentences that relate to something we're learning in LOE or another subject. Does that help?

• Like 1

This is a great question, one that I've been contemplating myself!  My daughter is currently in book B and while she knows all of her uppercase letters in manuscript (thank you very much Letter Factory!) she isn't as familiar with manuscript lower case letters.  I want to make sure she knows how to properly form the lowercase letters but I don't want to emphasize it.  So, perhaps, I'll take a summer and go over all the lower case letters with her... I'm not sure.  Do you think it's necessary?  I only ask this because I'm wondering myself it I need to go back and teach her manuscript or not.  I figure, like the rest of us, she'll eventually morph her handwriting into whatever works best for her.  Most of us do a blend of the two anyway...

• 2 months later...

This is a great question, one that I've been contemplating myself!  My daughter is currently in book B and while she knows all of her uppercase letters in manuscript (thank you very much Letter Factory!) she isn't as familiar with manuscript lower case letters.  I want to make sure she knows how to properly form the lowercase letters but I don't want to emphasize it.  So, perhaps, I'll take a summer and go over all the lower case letters with her... I'm not sure.  Do you think it's necessary?  I only ask this because I'm wondering myself it I need to go back and teach her manuscript or not.  I figure, like the rest of us, she'll eventually morph her handwriting into whatever works best for her.  Most of us do a blend of the two anyway...

Sorry, I just saw your comment. Glad I'm not the only one wondering. I find that my child is doing italics on her own - just from memory from what she has seen in books. She doesn't even know her letters yet is copying them. It's interesting. However, cursive has been slow going and very difficult. In fact it is slowing us down in our LOE foundations lessons. I'm now second guessing my LOE choice and wondering if I should have done AAR and then let her take the lead with writing. I feel that for my child the LOE goes a little too fast. I also really like the idea of learning cursive first but when I see her naturally forming italics and having difficulty with cursive it makes me wonder. My older children learned italics first in PS and then I bought Pentime #2 and #3 for their 4th grade year and they zoomed through it and self taught cursive, it was fabulous. My jury is still out. . . .