Menu

Ancient Roman cooking

For those in the midst of studying the Ancients, here are a couple of fun links!  

This one is a fascinating blog where various Ancient Roman recipes are replicated for your viewing - and tasting! - pleasure.

And on a side note, here is a really interesting news article about a 1,000 year old recipe that kills MRSA.  (I know, neither "Ancient" nor "Roman", but intriguing all the same!)

• Like 1

Piper,

THANK you for these links!  The first one, especially, is great--and we'll definitely be using it.

We're trying to incorporate cooking projects this year, too (my DD is nearly 11) and have been using "The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Ancient Cuisines"  to supplement our ancient history studies.  But I'm always looking for new, as-authentic-as-possible recipes.  I figure, it's a three-fer--a history tie-in, a practical skill, and dinner :-)

-Knitmama

• Like 1

First person to find a source for bovine salts* wins! :D

Bill

*an ingredient in the 1,000 year old recipe reputed to kill MRSA

Haha, yeah, I wondered about that too.  I've been wondering what my dairy farmer friend could do... ;)

Piper,

THANK you for these links! The first one, especially, is great--and we'll definitely be using it.

We're trying to incorporate cooking projects this year, too (my DD is nearly 11) and have been using "The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Ancient Cuisines" to supplement our ancient history studies. But I'm always looking for new, as-authentic-as-possible recipes. I figure, it's a three-fer--a history tie-in, a practical skill, and dinner :-)

-Knitmama

Thanks! I am going to give that cookbook to my daughter! She will love it!