Menu

The air conditioner game. Do you do this?

Bensmom

Every year I try and see how long we can make it into the season without turning on the AC (or heat). I don't know why I get a kick out of this. It is somehow thrilling to beat the previous year's record and exciting when the electric bill comes and I can see on the bar graph that we used less energy than the previous year.

I think today is going to ruin "the game" for me. It is supposed to be in the mid 80s and the upstairs is already warming quickly.

I clearly am very easily amused to be so enthralled by AC use. Anybody else playing the AC game?

• Like 4

We don't have AC but yesterday we were playing outside without coats and by dinner the heat was kicking on. So I guess we have a few more months to get the ceiling fan fixed (that's our central air lol)

Central Texas is in Early Summer now (one of our four seasons: Early Summer, Summer, Late Summer, Winter). At the moment, my AC doesn't kick on until the evening, but yes, I try to avoid it as long as possible, mainly because of the electricity bill. :ohmy: :svengo:

• Like 5

I love that game!! For me, I usually don't need to turn ac on until it's in the 90s so usually only one month a year. In winter the heat is on for about 3 months, Feb being the worst. So with heat I like to play how low can I get the Feb bill. I did not do well this year with keeping the bill low but I had a baby at the beginning of Feb so a warmer house was necessary for her preciousness.

Also used to but not anymore. The older I get the less I can stand the house getting too hot or too cold. We play a different version of the game where we try not to switch back to the heater once we've had the a/c on for a couple days. Didn't win this year.

• Like 3

I don't like that game but my hubby sure does! Makes me nuts! I usually get cranky & say 'I don't care how cool it's supposed to be next week-I am hot!!' And then go turn on the ac!

When we moved the ac here didn't work. We didn't have the funds to fix it so I had to do without for a while. I have never been so miserable.

In my defense-I live in the humid south. And I was pregnant.

• Like 2

Every year I try and see how long we can make it into the season without turning on the AC (or heat). I don't know why I get a kick out of this. It is somehow thrilling to beat the previous year's record and exciting when the electric bill comes and I can see on the bar graph that we used less energy than the previous year.

I think today is going to ruin "the game" for me. It is supposed to be in the mid 80s and the upstairs is already warming quickly.

I clearly am very easily amused to be so enthralled by AC use. Anybody else playing the AC game?

Why, yes,  I do, with the heat.  I leave the heat off as long as humanly possible.

I do turn the AC on though as soon as I need it.  I don't do humidity well. 

• Like 1

No, we don't play that game. Dh loves cold, hates even mild heat. Ds is like that too. So, we've actually had our AC on various days/evenings throughout the past month. (AC is running right now & I think it's in the low 70s outside right now.) Of course, it sometimes alternates w/ the heat being back on too, as we've gotten a couple of cold fronts during the past month too.

Having the AC cranked always makes me think of the Steve Martin Father-of-the-Bride movie where his wife & dd are both pregnant at the same time. At one point, it shows him & his ds wearing ski parkas in the house because the wife & dd had the AC on so cold. I managed to do the same thing to my dh when I was pregnant & he loves the cold, so I really can't imagine how cold I had it in the house! :lol:

• Like 1

We play that game with the heat. We're in FL and have very days we don't have the AC going but we always try to not run the heat during those rare cold spells. We actually do worse every year as we are getting accustomed to the weather here so the cold days seem colder than they should.

We don't have/need air conditioning.  Our heat is linked to a thermostat, so it only kicks in at about 14 degrees C (57 degrees F).  In winter we have the wood stove in the sitting room to top up the heat, so as the weather warms up, the central heat stops kicking in and we don't use the wood stove.

I so win this game. We make it all the way through summer without A/C - top temp would be around 43/44C.

We used to go through summer in Hong Kong without AC when the children were young: I used to hate the shut-in feeling of AC on and windows shut.  Our temps weren't that high, but humidity was close to 100%.  I have fond memories of the boys playing in cool baths in the middle of the day.

• Like 1

I used to nanny for a family that played the furnace game.  The dad liked to keep the heat turned low.

And I have ALWAYS been chronically cold.

Then the mom came came home one afternoon, and I was folding laundry in the livingroom while wearing my winter coat.  (The toddler was upstairs napping.)  The mom turned the heat up for me.  :)

Yes, we do. And I add in the "how cool can I get the house in the morning by putting fans in front of windows to draw in the cool air and then when do I shut everything up" part. It's been close to 90 degrees already, but the nights are so cool, that we haven't had to run the AC yet.

• Like 1

I totally play the heat and ac game. I seem to be the only one who enjoys it since my entire family whines it is too hot or too cold all the time.

Too bad. I am trying to save money.

My dh would like to play lord of the manor and feels he should be able to wear shorts no matter the season.

• Like 2

yes.

I like the fresh air of having windows open.   dh usually caves first and turns on the A/C.  (he works from home.)  but we will do it off and on during the spring months.  now that's it's april - the temps have dropped . . .

I've even had "it has to be 75 outside" to turn on the car ac when driving. (we dont' spend much time in the car.)  guess which gender whines first . . . .  (driving down the freeway .  . . i'll turn on the ac and close the windows.  too much air)

Nope, played that game with my mom as a kid and nope. Just nope. we play how many times can we switch from heat to cool air and back in a day.  Some mornings, it is too chilly to take a bath but by afternoon, it is way too hot not to have cool air.  Then evening is just a little too chilly for comfort.  I have switch and I know how to use it! :laugh:

We don't play the AC game because we don't have AC!  We do have days in the 90s & even a handful of days over 100 in the summer so I could use AC.  We play the heater game.  How long can we go before we light the heater.  The goal is to make it past Halloween.  This year my youngest announced she wanted to wait until her birthday.  We scoffed at her because her birthday is in December.  Unfortunately, we made it to her birthday and beyond.  Great for our bill but I am worried about what this means for the snow pack in CA as well as how hot it is going to be in the summer.

Amber in SJ

• Like 1

My DH and I play a little game.  He wants to see how long we can hold out to turn the AC on.  I try to see how long I can go before I have a major melt down/freak out on DH about the AC not being on.  It's easy when you go to a 65 degree office all day long buster!  :lol: 

I play a variation of this game year round!

In Spring (during the months most people refer to as Winter), the game is to never turn the heat on and be the happiest person who ever lived in sweatshirts and fluffy socks, with a side of hot tea. (I pretend it is really Winter, but it gets hard because the windows are usually kept (blissfully) open.) The game mostly involves telling underdressed people to suck it up and put some clothes on. 

In the beginning of summer (approximately the end of Feb/early March  :glare: ), the game is how long can I get away with DH thinking it is still "Winter" even though really it's just that I turned on the a/c to keep the dream alive.

In mid-summer (late March through October), the game becomes how many times I can nudge down the a/c before DH notices and turns it back up. (Sometimes this part of the game would benefit from an impartial referee, like, say a middle-aged female Gyn...  :lol: )

In late summer (basically October and November), we play the opposite of the beginning of summer game, and I see how long I can get away with DH thinking the weather is unseasonably cool even though really it's just that I'm still turning on the a/c to pretend "Winter" has come early. 

That's it. There are only two seasons here. Spring and Summer. (I usually just say Spring and Hell, but some people apparently don't find that amusing. LOL)

we play that game. :)  Dh and I both try to push it a little more each year.  We live in Florida (as my name indicates) and our electric bill can be over $400/month in the summer.  yikes

we also play the 'how long will this car last?" game and the "How many meals can we get out of one whole chicken?" game.  

While the cost savings is important (two kids in college/early career), we also enjoy the feeling of self sufficiency and not contributing to the Throw Away/Waste culture.  :)

• Like 1

We will play it but not yet. Today is the first day I turned the heat down. We have a balanced payment thingy with our electric company, so we don't have to pay the high cost of heating in the winter all at once. It gets spread out throughout the year. An April that isn't too hot is a major blessing because we will use little electricity and be able to catch up easily on the winter. DH will put the AC units in when I start whining too much about it being hot, LOL, but I hope that's not until May. (The last four Mays I have either being heavily pregnant or wearing a baby often, so I was hot. I hope to be more heat tolerant this year.)

For me it is also that Fresh Air makes me happy.  Which is weird because as a red-head I kinda hate the outdoors.  That sun is mean to me and the wind doesn't play nice either.  Oh, and bugs love me.  But being indoors with the windows open is the best.  I get to hear the birds twittering the trees rustling without any of the downsides of the outdoors.