Menu

:grouphug:

Check out this old thread for NASA/space themed math workbooks

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/465235-space-math-nasa/

My older boy's 1st choice is to be an astronaut since he was very small. All I can do is make sure his math and science are okay.

If your son is into rocketry, check out where your local rocketry club is.

http://www.nar.org/find-a-local-club/nar-club-locator/

Also the Civil Air Patrol program

http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/cap_home/teens/

ETA:

You might also want to cross post to the high school board

• Like 2

We do a lot of NASA field trips with my young astronaut wannabe. We look for any NASA or space related museums and such things every time we go on vacation and add them to our itinerary. That is one of my DS's favorite things to do.

• Like 1

I do not have a lot of suggestions but will be following for ideas.  It sounds like what you are doing now is really good by giving him a good science background, having him take higher level math and having him help build things. My ds really wants to be an aerospace engineer and work on the Space Station or on designing rovers.

There are a few Mars and Space NOVA videos. Two are called Can We Make it To Mars? and Ultimate Mars Challenge. There is a scientist in the field book called the Mighty Mars Rover. It may be a little young for your ds but it might be interesting for him to see what someone in the field is doing to see that there are still opportunities out there. The guy in the book is also in the NOVA documentary. I think there are still career opportunities in the field. I live in an area without a lot of STEM options too and ds is to young for what is out there plus we don't have the money for expensive stuff.

• Like 1

If your son is into rocketry, check out where your local rocketry club is.

http://www.nar.org/f...r-club-locator/

Also the Civil Air Patrol program

http://www.gocivilai...cap_home/teens/

I had no idea of these resources and I see that there is a rocketry club in my area and that the Civil Air Program has Aerospace Engineer Member educational materials for a low cost. I am not sure if the club is active or if they allow kids to come or not but I can look into it now. Thanks.

I do not mean this to be a downer post. It is actually meant as quite the opposite.

Have you discussed with your son that it is possible he can do everything right and still not become an astronaut? That part of what he is doing in trying to become an astronaut is learning and fulfilling his joy of the great stuff astrophysics adds to his life. That needs to be the biggest focus - enjoying and making sure what he is expanding himself into is fulfilling him in positive ways even if it is not all lollipops all the time.

I say this because my ten year old decided he wanted to shot for Ivy League sometime last year. The kid is much like yours in that he has what it takes to be a serious Ivy (or in your case astronaut) candidate if he plays his cards right. However, there is a major portion of luck in there as well. So if every waking inch of my son is only pushing himself, and striving, and really fixating on Ivy and then he does not get it, I do not want him overcome with depression or regret. If my son can realize that the journey to Ivy is fulfilling in and of itself then the end result is less of a complete life crusher. It just becomes a substantial bummer.

Perhaps right now is not the best time to bring it up, as you are really wanting him to see your investment in his dream. I had just not specifically considered having the discussion with Ds until someone on this board brought it up. As an adult, that was a bit of a "well duh" but it was not for my son. It also was not a soul crushing talk like I thought it might have been.

I hope your son makes it to be one of those colonizing Mars or taking some pod to the outer moons of Saturn. How very thrilling!

• Like 3

We spent an entire year last year on astrophysics. There are many MOOCS available that don't have math prerequisites; one of my son's favorites last year was on the technology used in astronomy. Check out Coursera to see what they have available.

It's great to have a dream, but has others have said it's also important to keep goals in perspective. My son has planned to study at MIT since he was 5, and as planned to be a car designer since he was 3. Those are great and he still wants them but we spend a lot of time widening the circle, if that makes sense. MIT isn't the be all end all of great engineering schools, and car design has many, many components. It's also fine to want these things during one part of your life but not another, and it's our job as educators to ensure our kids get the skills and opportunities to expand their interests.

• Like 1

Hi Timerbly, maybe our kids will be on the Space Station together. My dd13 has the same dream. She is trying to follow more of a science/astronomy path rather than the Engineering path that sounds like would suit your son. There are many different career paths to NASA. We use the NASA website to incorporate her interest into as much as we can. We add Space Math or Exploring Space through Math units from them all the time.

One thing she decided to do was study Russian after she saw an interview where a panel of astronauts all said the hardest part of their training was learning Russian. We got her a subscription to Astronomy magazine which she devours. We let her double up on math and science - yes, at the expense of doing as much history & lit as I'd like - everything can't get done. One of her history assignments this year was about the space race, another was the history of the space station itself.

She has looked at the NASA website and knows what the requirements are for summer internships and uses those to drive her choices. She knows which of our state schools have the strongest physics/astrophysics programs, and what AP and CLEP tests they accept and we are trying to plan her high school choices accordingly. I have no idea if any of this is realistic or if we are doing the right things or not, but we are trying to figure it out as we go.

Eta: you can even incorporate PE - there is a train like an astronaut unit out there that I ran across at one point. My daughter chose a "train like an olympic figure skater" option instead this year, but I can see us looking for the other again. :)

• Like 2

JMU has a Space Camp that's supposed to be good, too. http://www.jmu.edu/planetarium/space-explorers-camp.shtml

It's a more astronomy/physics camp than the ones in Huntsville, where they actually can do more of the "live like an astronaut" stuff.

DD has a friend who did this program last summer, and loved it. http://women.nasa.gov/nasagirls/ (not just for girls-her friend is male). It's 5 weeks of mentoring with a NASA employee in the child's field of interest via SKYPE and doing activities at home with the support of a parent.

Here is the database of NASA education programs. I don't know how many are still active-budget cuts have hurt a lot of this sort of thing, but it's worth checking

http://www.nasa.gov/offices/education/programs/descriptions/Students-rd.html#.VRvgdeFUV0w

I'm also going to suggest my broken record back door approach. Check every local astronomical society, college, and university within a several hour radius. Get on their FB pages and e-mail lists for every department that may be of interest (physics, astronomy, engineering even if they don't have aerospace engineering, chemistry...anything that might be slightly relevant). And be willing to drive when a NASA speaker or someone who works with NASA or with space in any area of possible interest is speaking. Most colleges have guest lecturers several times a semester or more, and these are usually open to the public. While you're there, read the bulletin boards in hosting department and see if there's anything else of interest coming up. If your son is polite, informed, TAKES NOTES, asks questions,  and sends written thank you notes, he'll stand out. If there is a professional society that comes up or is sponsoring this event, consider getting student membership, which usually provides access to additional materials.

(I bold TAKES NOTES because apparently college students mostly don't these days. That seems to be the single thing that impresses college faculty most is that DD is in these lectures and talks and is actively taking notes).

Did I mention that a car with good gas mileage and a willingness to drive is a prerequisite?

• Like 2

JMU has a Space Camp that's supposed to be good, too. http://www.jmu.edu/planetarium/space-explorers-camp.shtml

It's a more astronomy/physics camp than the ones in Huntsville, where they actually can do more of the "live like an astronaut" stuff.

DD has a friend who did this program last summer, and loved it. http://women.nasa.gov/nasagirls/ (not just for girls-her friend is male). It's 5 weeks of mentoring with a NASA employee in the child's field of interest via SKYPE and doing activities at home with the support of a parent.

Here is the database of NASA education programs. I don't know how many are still active-budget cuts have hurt a lot of this sort of thing, but it's worth checking

http://www.nasa.gov/offices/education/programs/descriptions/Students-rd.html#.VRvgdeFUV0w

I'm also going to suggest my broken record back door approach. Check every local astronomical society, college, and university within a several hour radius. Get on their FB pages and e-mail lists for every department that may be of interest (physics, astronomy, engineering even if they don't have aerospace engineering, chemistry...anything that might be slightly relevant). And be willing to drive when a NASA speaker or someone who works with NASA or with space in any area of possible interest is speaking. Most colleges have guest lecturers several times a semester or more, and these are usually open to the public. While you're there, read the bulletin boards in hosting department and see if there's anything else of interest coming up. If your son is polite, informed, TAKES NOTES, asks questions,  and sends written thank you notes, he'll stand out. If there is a professional society that comes up or is sponsoring this event, consider getting student membership, which usually provides access to additional materials.

(I bold TAKES NOTES because apparently college students mostly don't these days. That seems to be the single thing that impresses college faculty most is that DD is in these lectures and talks and is actively taking notes).

Did I mention that a car with good gas mileage and a willingness to drive is a prerequisite?

These are great suggestions.  A highlight of her year was when we drove 3 hours each way in one day for a talk given by a NASA Engineer who worked on the Mars Rovers.  She got to ask him a question, and it was like some kids are about meeting their favorite singing star!  Also, dmmetler is right about the budget cuts - a lot of things on the website are not as supported as they once were.  Unfortunately, educational outreach was the first thing they cut.

You might want to read the book "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth" by Chris Hadfield (a Canadian astronaut). In the book he discusses the steps he took, starting as a child, to become an astronaut. It's interesting to see the path he took, his dedication, and also the luck involved. I don't remember anything in the book that would be unsuitable for a 12yo, but I didn't read it with that in mind, so you might want to read it yourself before sharing it with him.

• Like 5

I'd look into a future career in the military. For now, I'd help kiddo to get involved with Civil Air Patrol, Scouts, etc.

This. A fellow I know made the short list in the astronaut selection process but ultimately didn't get picked; he was an Air Force Academy grad.

• Like 1

You might want to read the book "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth" by Chris Hadfield (a Canadian astronaut). In the book he discusses the steps he took, starting as a child, to become an astronaut. It's interesting to see the path he took, his dedication, and also the luck involved. I don't remember anything in the book that would be unsuitable for a 12yo, but I didn't read it with that in mind, so you might want to read it yourself before sharing it with him.

Seconding this. Great book.

• Like 1

I second Space Camp as an enjoyable aside.  I went to the one in Huntsville, AL many years ago (I don't know if that is the only one in the country).  I think I was about 12.  Lots of fun around the space theme.  Plus, it's fun to just tour the rocket center.  There is a lot more there now than when I was a kid.

• Like 1

I was reading one of the seventh grade threads the other day and I saw, I believe, SilverMoon mention an organization called Civil Air Patrol. Out of curiosity I looked them up and it looks very cool! My 12 year old son is very interested in joining the local squadron. Similar to the ROTC but for the Air Force. The cadet meetings involve aeronautics education among other things and as they get older, and rise in rank, it appears they have the opportunity to compete for scholarships to help them get their pilots license.

• Like 1

Sorry, I was unable to post over the last couple of days, but had been meaning to reply.

Having grown up in a Mission Control family, and bumping shoulders as kids with a number of astronauts (we had no idea that it was a big deal), I'd like to add a little perspective.  I can't say this is any of this is a "must," or "doesn't help at all," because there absolutely is no one-size-fits-all approach.  Please just consider it a set of observations...

Aim to attend one of the camps.  They will give direct input to the process.  JSC also has a number of meet-and-greets where you can ask detailed questions (I haven't been to Canaveral, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same there).  Take a family vacation -- Houston is a great place to visit with a family!

Some military background is helpful, particularly if command crew is of interest.  However, this is an extremely elite crew.  They typically have VERY strong science backgrounds, and face stiff competition.  To start, you can consider ROTC programs, or honestly, even Eagle Scouts.  Being an Eagle Scout is a big plus in gaining admission to the AFA.

Another interesting option is to take some flying lessons locally.  You can start this very young.

The best path seems to become well-versed in the big scientific fields, and highly specialized in one or two.  So much of what goes on today is scientific in nature, that you need to be able to execute any variety of experiments without risk of failure due to lack of a conceptual background.  So, plan to get fairly deep into biology or physics in particular, and chemistry at least through organic chemistry.  Get used to secular material -- this will not be debatable.

Russian, as mentioned above, is extremely helpful.  Mandarin may become important, as well.

As for hobbies, I can say that rocketry wasn't high on anyone's list, as far as I could tell (strange, eh?).  However, there were some serious model jet clubs, and a thriving chapter of the experimental aircraft association.  [As an aside: My little brother and I used to build simulation programs to help those guys design their planes.  How they had the nerve to jump into a homemade aircraft with portions tested by programs written by teenagers...it never ceases to amaze me!]

I could see robotics being a new critical skill -- not necessarily the programming of them, but mainly design and operation.  This is getting beyond the time frame where I had any real direct experience with.

Lastly, there is no harm in dreaming big.  Most of the astronauts will tell you that a big dream is a very important component.  Just don't get crushed if you end up being spectacular in some other, unexpected way that doesn't involve astronautics.  :001_cool:

• Like 1

The easiest way would be to become an active duty military pilot in the Air Force, Navy, or Marines.  Even applying from the military side an undergraduate science degree is required and preferably an advanced degree.  I believe there is a list of approved majors.  The advantage of this is that even if you don't make the astronaut program you still have a pretty cool job:)  

If you have the resources SCUBA diving is also looked on favorably as there are some similarities between working underwater and working in space.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to read the book "An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth" by Chris Hadfield (a Canadian astronaut). In the book he discusses the steps he took, starting as a child, to become an astronaut.

In fact, this book shows that you can in fact become an astronaut even if your home country does not have a space program, lol!  

Hadfield also addresses the long odds of becoming an astronaut and how you need to be almost zen or at peace with not ever going to space, while still working so very hard to qualify.  It's an admirable quality and a good lesson for our students who dream big.  

Definitely read this book and look for his youtube channel.  Chris is pretty awesome.  

• Like 1

I would focus on giving him an excellent high school education, one that will allow him to succeed regardless of which direction he ends up going.  

Anything else needs to come from him.  Do no make his dream your dream.  Do not bombard him with videos about astronauts--have him ask to see them.  If he is not in the position of being able to see what videos are available on his own, you could show him, but wait for him to ask to see them.  And then apply this to everything else--camps, courses, books, whatever.

After DS12 read everyone's posts, he decided that he is happier with NASA related engineering than actually going into space.  He's had an engineering mindset since he was in diapers.  It'll be much easier to choose electives and curriculums for engineering than for space travel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm reading through all of these posts taking notes on what we haven't already found for my 11yo that doesn't care to be an astronaut, but wants to be somehow in astrophysics.  Finding science to address his level AND his immature 11yo mentality is HARD.

I just bought (secondhand) Apologia's Exploring Creation with Physics which apparently comes with a teaching DVD.  You might want to check into that. 

Much like Space Station, I'm just allowing mine to double up on math and science.  His shorter term goal is to get into the state math & science academy... but only so he can go work at some space-related facility afterward.  He's still too young for Civil Air Patrol, but has already started Scouts.

I also looked up my local high school's textbook list for astronomy and physics and bought them online cheap.  I'm going to go through each unit and make a Pinterest board for each unit with links to take him to online resources for the unit content.

Last, it's not cheap by any stretch, but if you're desperate--Northwestern University has a Gifted Learning Links program that is facilitating learning at a distance for advanced kids.  Sometimes they run ones that are very science-y.  They run in-person programs in the Chicago area and the in-person programs have been worth every penny (but again, not inexpensive).  Once they have finished Algebra II, they can take Astrophysics.  And they can reside there for the 2-3 weeks of camp for an additional cost if you don't live in the area.

• Like 1

I would focus on giving him an excellent high school education, one that will allow him to succeed regardless of which direction he ends up going.

Anything else needs to come from him. Do no make his dream your dream. Do not bombard him with videos about astronauts--have him ask to see them. If he is not in the position of being able to see what videos are available on his own, you could show him, but wait for him to ask to see them. And then apply this to everything else--camps, courses, books, whatever.

I had taken this advice to heart and had decided not to share any of the tips I picked up from this thread with my daughter until she asked. I didn't have to wait long. Today she asked me if I thought there were any autobiographies of astronauts in the library to read. "I want to read what astronauts have written instead of what others have written about astronauts."

"Well, hon, it just so happens there are, and here are some that have come recommended. We can stop at the library on the way to your flute lesson."

I love this board!

• Like 1