Menu

Classical Learning Resource Center (CLRC), anyone?

I saw the Classical Learning Resource Center mentioned on some thread recently. Here is a link: http://www.clrconline.com/main.html

Does anyone have any personal experience with their online classes? I really like the looks of the Upper Elementary Language Arts classes. They appear to be 'comprehensive' LA courses, in that they teach grammar, literature, and composition. I like that the courses meet only once per week, but devote a full hour to grammar and another to literature/writing. I'd love to hear detailed feedback from anyone who has taken these or other classes at the CLRC.

DD has taken other classes, not the one you listed, and will continue next year. Classes are very small and most teachers have more than an undergraduate degree. If you need more information, you can email Anne Van Fossen - she is very responsive to emails. I was planning to go with her Greek class but it clashes with our Latin class, unfortunately.

If there is an interesting class this summer, I will enroll DD. Last year we had a great Shakespeare class during the summer. There were about 4 kids and the teacher did such a great job.

Next year I'm planning to enroll DD in French and Arabic. Dr. Godwin is multilingual.

For anyone else who is interested in their algebra class, the teacher is using Dolciani.

My dd 15 took the Cinema class last summer. She really enjoyed it. We will likely do another summer class or two if they fit into our schedule. My dd 11 also took the Young French class this past spring with Dr. Godwin. It was too hard for her. She was intimidated by the speed of the class and the expectations. However, I think Dr. Godwin will do a really good job teaching at the high school level. I liked how he taught. He was careful with pronunciation and challenged the students. He expected every student to go back over lessons and study daily and to be prepared for and participate fully in the online classes. My dd 15 plans to take Japanese with him in the fall.

Actually, DD is in Dr. Godwin's Young French class. I forgot to mention that above and it's DD favorite class, more than Lukeion's Latin. It's fast-paced; last semester it was a chapter a week, this year 2 chapters per week. After Young French, there is no Young French 2. It jumps to the high school level. Because the class is small, and it is much smaller this semester, he does make sure the kids pronounce correctly. If the kid needs work in a particular area, he'll let her know.

We couldn't decide between Japanese or Arabic. Tempting to take both.

Patience, my dear. Whatever you see now is for next year - they just put up these classes while most other places had new schedules last month. And most places already have summer classes up. I'll email Anne to see when the summer schedule will be ready. They just revamped their website as well.

• Like 2

Are their classes secular?

DD has taken 4 classes and so far they've been secular (no prayer, no proselytizing, etc.) although I really don't know each teacher's beliefs. Byzantine Chant is not but that's just the nature of the class but even that was not religious - the teacher really just focused on the music.

What I like about clrc is that classes are very small and they try hard to give you and your kid a good experience. They ought to hire more teachers but because there aren't that many clrc students, you don't get the kind of selection you would find somewhere else. But clrc is just very responsive and is willing to adjust for you. I made a request and clrc changed something for DD.

Even the Arabic teacher, Dr. Godwin, mentioned that he would teach one student if it ended being only one student enrolling in Arabic. I hope that continues to be the case.

• Like 1

I heard back from Anne, of CLRC, regarding summer classes:

Yes, we will be offering summer classes. We're hoping to open registration for those by the end of the month and should have at least a list of available classes within a couple of weeks.

Hope that helps.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Bringing this back to the top!  Looking for a more secular (or at least not overbearingly Christian) informal logic class for my Orthodox Jewish DS.  We have used Schole in the past and it was good but the two boys who took it in the past it was too Christian for us.  Lots of Evangelical Christian kids and the teacher used lots of Christian examples and the overall feel was not comfortable.

I found the Classical Learning Resource Center and they have a logic class for 8-9th graders.  I emailed them my question but I want to hear more from other real life people.  I see they have lot of Orthodox Christian teachers.

Advice for other logic classes for 8th graders or knowledge about the CLRC?