Menu

Bleepin american bleepin healthcare - JAWM

Murphy101

I went to a Doctor Who convention this weekend. One of the actors got a bad earache and had to go to an urgent care center. He tweeted about it and his English friends were all concerned. "Oh crikey! You have to try to get medical care in America?! What a bloody disaster!" And stuff like that.

I'm sure that whatever happened to you was worth a crikey or two, whatever it was. :(

• Like 1

I went to a Doctor Who convention this weekend. One of the actors got a bad earache and had to go to an urgent care center. He tweeted about it and his English friends were all concerned. "Oh crikey! You have to try to get medical care in America?! What a bloody disaster!" And stuff like that.

I'm sure that whatever happened to you was worth a crikey or two, whatever it was. :(

My Canadian relatives get better, cheaper health care in the US than Americans do.

I'm sorry, OP; I know how frustrating the system can be.   :grouphug:

I deleted bc I thought it was just whining.

But I'm still annoyed as all get out.

And still trying to wrap my brain about being told 8 weeks instead of four, but no heartbeat and it might not be in the uterus. What the what? How could they not be sure of the location of the orb they just dated and scanned? And I need to go to another facility bc they apparently can't figure this out or treat it even if we do, but omg, don't go there until we give permission.

Ugh. My head is killing me. And of course no aspirin or alcohol. boohoo me.

Oh and asking if I felt feverish. My BFF's mom said if she ever wins the lotto she is going to buy them "flippin thermometers" so they don't have to ask and then just nod their head as though considering some great philosophical mystery.

Apparently this is the part really upset her. The lack of temp checks. You might be a grandma if.... lol

:grouphug:

Ok, I guess don't take this as medical advice because I don't believe in practicing online but some things to think about and discuss with the doctors who are treating you in realtime:

-Are they basing the eight week estimate on the level of the quantitative B-HCG?  There can be some variation with that from woman to woman so it really should be used only as a rough guideline. I realize that some women have irregular cycles and other women just don't track their cycle but in women who do have a good understanding of their cycles I find it most prudent as a physician to approach the situation as if they know what they are talking about until I have objective evidence that they are somehow mistaken.

-If the B-HCG is sufficiently high (usually >2000 definitely >2500) and they can't visualize anything (like a gestational sac) in the uterus with a transvaginal approach then that should be considered an ectopic pregnancy until proven otherwise.

-Ectopic pregnancies need to be identified and addressed in prompt fashion as there is the potential for rupture and hemorrhage which can be life threatening.

-If they can see a gestational sac in the uterus but no heart beat then this may represent a pregnancy that is unlikely to continue but (and especially if your dates suggest you are really only four or five weeks) it can also represent an early perfectly healthy pregnancy.  In this case, since it is clearly in the uterus there is not the ectopic concern, so it is reasonable to continue to monitor (climbing/doubling B-HCGs are reassuring and repeat ultrasound in 7-10 days should show growth of the embryo and ideally a beating heart) and hope and pray for the best possible outcome.

I hope this was helpful and I hope you get some good answers soon.  Hang in there!

• Like 3

I deleted bc I thought it was just whining.

But I'm still annoyed as all get out.

And still trying to wrap my brain about being told 8 weeks instead of four, but no heartbeat and it might not be in the uterus. What the what? How could they not be sure of the location of the orb they just dated and scanned? And I need to go to another facility bc they apparently can't figure this out or treat it even if we do, but omg, don't go there until we give permission.

Ugh. My head is killing me. And of course no aspirin or alcohol. boohoo me.

What???!!!  They need to find the answer to that question, because that information is kind of, just a little bit, somewhat crucial. For reasons

Jeez.

Martha, I've sworn off any doctors trained in medical schools in TX, OK, and certain other states/ regions.  They are terrible diagnosticians, IME.  (But they're great at throwing pharmaceutical samples at you!)  

I have no idea if you have any options for other medical providers, but I hope you get some straight answers soon!   :grouphug:

• Like 1

Martha, I've sworn off any doctors trained in medical schools in TX, OK, and certain other states/ regions.  They are terrible diagnosticians, IME.  (But they're great at throwing pharmaceutical samples at you!)  

The rheumatologist who figured out my daughter was gluten intolerant (and so changed her life completely) was educated in Texas.  No other doctors figured it out, but her symptoms also weren't at all clear.  It's weird to swear off *all* doctors trained in a certain state or region.

I have never, ever been to a doctor, urgent care, or ER and not had my temperature taken.  In for a regular check-up?  Temperature taken.  In for an illness?  Temperature taken.  In for an ultrasound while pregnant?  Temperature taken.  This has been in three different states.  I'm flabbergasted that they didn't take your temperature and just asked if you felt feverish.  That makes no sense.  Saying the baby might not be in the uterus, but they aren't sure?  That's downright dangerous not to investigate further!  How frustrating to get substandard care and especially at an emotional time anyway :(

• Like 5

Fortunately, that has NOT been our experience. We've walked away from poor practices, too, when necessary. Why paint all practitioners with such a broad brush?

The rheumatologist who figured out my daughter was gluten intolerant (and so changed her life completely) was educated in Texas.  No other doctors figured it out, but her symptoms also weren't at all clear.  It's weird to swear off *all* doctors trained in a certain state or region.

I have never, ever been to a doctor, urgent care, or ER and not had my temperature taken.  In for a regular check-up?  Temperature taken.  In for an illness?  Temperature taken.  In for an ultrasound while pregnant?  Temperature taken.  This has been in three different states.  I'm flabbergasted that they didn't take your temperature and just asked if you felt feverish.  That makes no sense.  Saying the baby might not be in the uterus, but they aren't sure?  That's downright dangerous not to investigate further!  How frustrating to get substandard care and especially at an emotional time anyway :(

I don't know, I don't necessarily think its that weird not to have a temp taken all the time.  I've never seen one done just for a check-up of someone who is otherwise healthy or had some obvious, non-fever related issue.  I don't ever really remember having mine taken when I was pregnant either, though they may have while I was actually in labour.  But never at a check-up or an ultrasound. I get UTIs from time to time, and they ask if I feel feaverish, but never take a temperature reading.

I grew up with a doctor and nurse for parents, and we didn't even own a thermometer for people.  I'm a bit surprised they didn't take one in this situation, but on the other hand my step-dad has always said that how people feel is more useful than a temperature reading.

I think this may be one of those cases where the American practice is different than elsewhere.

I really am sorry.

I didn't see the original details, so I'm not sure how much I missed.  My ectopic did take weeks to officially diagnose, after repeated ultrasounds by various techs in multiple offices/hospitals.  In my case, it was just too early to see.  And my hcg did continue to rise.  Even once it was officially diagnosed, one ER failed to identify a rupture.

My thoughts are with you!

Fortunately, that has NOT been our experience. We've walked away from poor practices, too, when necessary. Why paint all practitioners with such a broad brush?

Out of 20+ practitioners I have dealt with trained in medical schools here in TX, OK, and LA, exactly one has proved competent. I am willing to discuss my experiences in another thread. I understand not painting with a broad brush, but the last time endagered my son. I started looking for practioners trained in medical schools in the Northeast, California, places like Chicago. I'm not the only one. A friend of mine from Connecticut swore off Texas doctors when several missed very abnormal blood test results that point to lupus.

I am very discrmminating now when it comes to the medical schools my doctors attended.

Alrighty. Got in to see what I hope was a competent doctor.

I'm fine. No ectopic. No baby. Just poorer than I was day before yesterday. :/

I don't own a thermometer and never need it. If my kids are sick, they are sick whether they have a temp or not. It's not like I would check for a temp and ignore they are ill bc of the temp. But the grandma in attendance was really blown away by the lack of a proper temp check. I thought it was funny.

OBGYN kept making comments on the records I sent to her in a confused this makes no sense but it'd be unprofessional to say that kind of way.

And basicly called me old. Older. Not as young. Maturing. Getting older.

The way she was talking, I started wondering if my hair was turning gray right in front of her.

But nope. Just 41 in an OBGYN office. :/ :p

I don't own a thermometer and never need it. If my kids are sick, they are sick whether they have a temp or not. It's not like I would check for a temp and ignore they are ill bc of the temp. But the grandma in attendance was really blown away by the lack of a proper temp check. I thought it was funny.

OBGYN kept making comments on the records I sent to her in a confused this makes no sense but it'd be unprofessional to say that kind of way.

The way she was talking, I started wondering if my hair was turning gray right in front of her.

A pox on any doctor who thinks 41 is old!!

• Like 1

Hugs to you!  I am sorry they treated you that way.

I am 44 went to my OBGYN for my annual mammogram exam a few days ago and apparently sat in the wrong waiting section.  The nurse came around the corner looking for me, saw another patient and said "Are you Diane...oh no you can't be you're not that old."

Made my day.  Not!

A pox on any doctor who thinks 41 is old!!

Well, in the OB/Gyn world 41 is considered old.  Over 35 gets you labeled as elderly gravida.  It's silly because many, many, many women over 35 have babies, but that's just the way it is.

I'm glad you got in to see a competent doctor.  I'm sorry there's no baby :(