Menu

BJU or CLE for grammar/writing?

Meadowlark

I'm realizing that I need to have my oldest do a few more things independently. I've never seen the LA of BJU or CLE in person, although we've used both of their maths. CLE math was way too easy and simple for my taste. We currently use BJU and although it's a bit overdone, I take what I want and it works well for us.

So, would I like BJU then? We use EIW now and I'm not sold on it. My oldest will be in 3rd and he's very bright. He will finish AAS 5 soon so I'm not sure if CLE spelling would be too easy for him? He is on grade level for writing and grammar though. This is the one area I just can't decide on. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you're familiar with both.

My boys use CLE Language Arts for 2nd and 4th grade and I considered switching to BJU because I liked how they include more writing. When I looked at the BJU 5th grade English book, all of the grammar was way, way too easy. It would be like going back a grade. I've decided to supplement writing instead and continue to use CLE because it's so thorough in other areas.

We also use CLE Math and have not considered switching because it's working for us. 

We've used both CLE LA and and BJU English for grade 2 (just switched over to BJU English, and the isolated, single concept per page is a much better fit for my DD).  CLE LA spiraled too much on each page and it made her frustrated.  The writing instruction in BJU is much better, in my opinion.  We also use WWE.  

CLE math is gentle but thorough, and working for us, so we're sticking with it as well.

BJU's writing assignments are going to be similar to CLE's assignments in that both present the model of the writing process: plan, write the draft, revise, publish. BJU's books are going to be more colorful and have more graphic organizers to record information along the process. The writing assignments will be varied (every other chapter will be writing), and I don't think different kinds of writing are as important at that age as developing good writing skills. CLE's 3rd grade has a bit of variety, too, but not as much as BJU. CLE is going to be spiral like the math program, but it's going to include spelling lists and penmanship exercises, too. I enjoy having so much covered in one lesson.

I switched ds from BJU English to CLE LA, but he did IEW in co-op for two years. BJU seemed like too much writing and not enough grammar. The grammar was far too easy for grade level, IMHO. I didn't do co-op this year and had ds do some of the writing assignments in CLE as well as some in his history and science. Dd use CLE LA throughout middle school and 9th grade, then she switched to just ACT/SAT prep books and made a 34 on the English section of the ACT.

If you want to consider BJU long term, the Teacher's Manuals change dramatically in 7th grade (in all subjects). 6th and below are basically scripted, but 7th and up have lots of information in the side bars to prep ahead of time. BJU is really written for classroom use and assume 7th and up are being taught by teachers with degrees in those subjects.

We used BJU English for grades 3 & 4 and really liked it.  I didn't find the grammar too simple, but we all have different expectations.   My oldest does really well with the layout and structure with BJU.  We didn't use it this year because we took a break from formal grammar instruction. 

We have used BJU English up through 6th grade, and like it.   The grammar is somewhat easy (at least that's what my 5th grader tells me....she asks, "When am I going to do HARD grammar?") but it was very good prep for Analytical Grammar, which is VERY meaty and detailed.   The writing instruction provides a variety of writing genre and step-by-step instruction.

I bought a used copy of the teacher manual for BJU English 7 last year and hated it (so I resold it).  It is completely different from the earlier grades.   So for 7th grade we switched to Analytical Grammar and Beyond the Book Report, which I loved for this age.