Menu

AAS vs horizons vs R&S for spelling

My4arrows

We are currently using AAS level 2 for my 2nd grader. He was doing well but Hates spelling. He gets frustrated easily. I'm wondering if the approach of a set list and activities weekly would help him learn the words and not be frustrated with the process or if I would end up going back to AAS since he wouldn't be able to apply the rules to other words. Any thoughts on what to do? How is horizons or the R&S spelling?

I am a die hard fan of AAS through level 3-4 at least. I would have continued with it if I had more time for more teacher intensive subjects or had a struggling speller. We like R&S which is what we switched to after AAS for my dd, but I don't think it will be a good fit for ds.

For my ds who is a 2nd grader, my plan is to complete AAS 3 and then switch to Phonetic Zoo which is a m ore independent list program but that still covers the rules.

• Like 1

What exactly does he hate about spelling?  I'm confused about the idea of a set-list?  AAS has a set-list for each lesson based on the current rule being taught.  If you are just wanting to add a fun-factor, you could try adding Spelling City.  If you search, I believe the majority of the AAS lists are already on there. 

What exactly does he hate about spelling? I'm confused about the idea of a set-list? AAS has a set-list for each lesson based on the current rule being taught. If you are just wanting to add a fun-factor, you could try adding Spelling City. If you search, I believe the majority of the AAS lists are already on there.

My understanding of AAS is that you are teaching the rule application not a word list. Yes there is the ten words that you begin with, but there is no application of those words, practice (other than the tiles and writing over and over again), etc. They are also expected to apply that rule to other words and use in dictation. I'm okay with the process and chose it because I feel it's the way spelling should be taught. It works wonderfully for my YDS who has bypassed his older brother. But for the older guy, I think he needs a list (I'd prefer still based on rules) with application of those words in practice. This is probably something I could do with AAS but honestly I don't have the time right now with three in school and younger ones. We didn't find spelling city to be specific enough for us. The games are good, but I think he needs to use the words in sentences, vocabulary, other fun things to pull him in. He also needs that list to study each week. He doesn't like the approach of how AAS is taught...maybe I'm doing it wrong. When he saw horizons his eyes lit up and said I want to do that spelling.

My understanding of AAS is that you are teaching the rule application not a word list. Yes there is the ten words that you begin with, but there is no application of those words, practice (other than the tiles and writing over and over again), etc. They are also expected to apply that rule to other words and use in dictation. I'm okay with the process and chose it because I feel it's the way spelling should be taught. It works wonderfully for my YDS who has bypassed his older brother. But for the older guy, I think he needs a list (I'd prefer still based on rules) with application of those words in practice. This is probably something I could do with AAS but honestly I don't have the time right now with three in school and younger ones. We didn't find spelling city to be specific enough for us. The games are good, but I think he needs to use the words in sentences, vocabulary, other fun things to pull him in. He also needs that list to study each week. He doesn't like the approach of how AAS is taught...maybe I'm doing it wrong. When he saw horizons his eyes lit up and said I want to do that spelling.

I get it now. :)  It's Thursday, but it's a Monday in my mind.  ;)