Menu

Why are Bob books good?

praisefor3

I saw these at Sam's. The sets are around $10. From the package illustration, the pictures look ugly and I can't figure out what is good about them. However, a lot of people use them and I hated to pass them up because I have heard they are good for teaching reading. But...why? I want to go back and get them if they will be worth it!

I saw these at Sam's. The sets are around $10. From the package illustration, the pictures look ugly and I can't figure out what is good about them. However, a lot of people use them and I hated to pass them up because I have heard they are good for teaching reading. But...why? I want to go back and get them if they will be worth it!

I used them - they're just easy, step-by-step phonetic readers. There may be better ones.

My library had them. I saw no need to buy them - we read each book once or twice then returned them.

I just started these with dd. I think they're considered good because they are simple and have controlled vocabulary (I think that's the terminology). In other words, like all early readers, they introduce certain sounds a few at a time.

DD is only four, so we're just sort of playing with them right now, but she was pretty excited about being able to read the first one (with a lot of help).

I was very turned off by them when I first saw them. When I started looking at the other choices, they all had words that ds would not know or be learning for quite some time. He is just beginning with phonics and we want him to know that you do something with those letters you are learning. He just started phonics and can pretty much already read the first BOB book. He likes having his own book that is just for him to read. It's the perfect size for his little hands. I don't care if they get ripped. I'm happy but as soon as he is reading more fluently, we won't be using them anymore.

When I started looking at the other choices, they all had words that ds would not know or be learning for quite some time.

:iagree: This is why I use Bob books with both of my early readers. We read only the books for which DS or DD has learned all the "rules" -- ie, my DS is just learning long vowel sounds, so soon we'll be adding books with silent e. I really discourage my DC from guessing at words -- perhaps too much of a whole language backlash -- and Bob allows me to move them up incrementally when they are ready.

I (Mom) LOVE the BOB books - I bought all three sets because they looked so straight forward and easy to read for new reader.

My DD6, on the other hand, does NOT like them, at all. Yesterday I pulled out the BOB's for practice, she walked over and grabbed our 100 Easy Lessons text book and asked to practice reading out of it over the BOB books! Everytime we've picked them up to read, she complains. We also have the Starfall books, although more colorful they are pretty much the same, and she's not crazy about those either. I don't know what it is, maybe it's their too simplistic for her, or boring? But I liked them :sad:!

The illustrations, though goofy, are helpful because of their simplicity. They do not overly distract the child from concentrating on what they are supposed to be doing, which is learning to read. All 3 of my kids have enjoyed them as beginning readers. My 3rd child (6yo) really needs as few distractions while reading as possible so these books fit the bill. Jacqui

I like them because ds feels like he's accomplished something when he reads one of them.

This is what my dd's have liked best too. The first book only has 6 letters, so they don't need too much phonics practice before they can read it, and the others go on adding just a letter or two at a time. Mine are using them around 3.5 to 4yo, though, and I can see why an older learner wouldn't be interested - the stories are pretty silly, because there's only so much you can do with 6 letters!

They are the simplest phonetic readers I have found, besides the starfall books which I also have. My kids think the illustrations are funny (as well as the stories) and I love that as soon as they know a few letter sounds they can read them already. They are the only thing my four year old can read and he loves being able to read a book!

I personally don't like the BOB books, but the first set was great when we were first starting to read. As others have mentioned, all other readers had words that she wouldn't be able to read, and I didn't want her to get discouraged right off the bat, thinking of all the words she couldn't read.

I much prefer the Nora Gaydos readers, and after we finished the first set of BOB books (or after we read the first few at least), we started reading those. The illustrations are better, and the stories are better. We are on the second set of Nora Gaydos readers (long vowels), and we are reading those as well as other easy reader type books. Slowly.

I think the answer is, they are the worst first reader's...except for all the others. The text is simple, the stories are short, they appeals to most young readers and the pictures don't give away the words. They are just right for their intended audience.

My kids balk at them after a while too, but those first successes are so good to give them a taste for what is to come.

the pictures don't give away the words. They are just right for their intended audience.

I wasn't impressed by the pictures or (really) the stories, either. But I appreciated two things: The much-vaunted selling point of a child being able to say, "I read the whole book myself!" and the fact that at times the pictures and words contrast with each other in such a way that a child "reading" the pictures will be very obvious. And my dd enjoyed the stories, too.

Personally, I splurged on the whole series (It was my "Look! I'm homeschooling now!" splurge.) and then my dd took off with her reading and we barely, if at all, touched the last two sets.

My advice would be, if you're interested in them, to buy the first 2 or 3 sets, maximum, and then go from there if you need to do so.

HTH!

Mama Anna

Personally, I splurged on the whole series (It was my "Look! I'm homeschooling now!" splurge.) and then my dd took off with her reading and we barely, if at all, touched the last two sets.

My advice would be, if you're interested in them, to buy the first 2 or 3 sets, maximum, and then go from there if you need to do so.

I agree. The first set has been well-used in our house. The second and third sets...not so much. There is still an in-between time when the second and third sets are right for the reading level of the child who is not yet ready to move up to Frog and Toad Are Friends. But for whatever reason they seem to lose their appeal. Too babyish?

My daughter (7 now) loved the Bob Books. She loved being able to finish them and read them on her own and to her brother and sister. She even liked the drawings (I didn;t care for them much). I liked them because I could find few books at the library that were phonetic. A lot of sight words and memorization or books where only a few words are for the kids to read - you read the rest. Since she has a little brother and sister they were worth buying for us.

I personally did not like the bob books and neither did my son. I think they are liked because they are simple, beginning to read books. I personally think that the books at http://www.starfall.com are much better and you can print them for free. You can also purchase if you want actual books.

:iagree: I also agree with the pp who recommended the Nora Gaydos books.

Neither I nor my children liked the Bob Books. The starfall and the Nora Gaydos books they did enjoy.

Amanda

But...why? I want to go back and get them if they will be worth it!

Ds here never really liked the Bob books, though I bought a couple complete sets.

They were much more interested in the Nora Gaydos book sets. They're about the same price I believe, but they're colorful and funny, have a magnetic lock and stickers.

Other b&w books have been fine with them, but they just really didn't like the Bob pictures - plus, they read the pictures as much as the words so I wonder how effective they are...?

I know folks love them. Sometimes libraries have them available. Might be worth a try first.

ETA: obviously I didn't read any other posts, now I see a lot of others for Nora G. etc.!

I like the Bob Books because:

1. I think the illustrations are cute. Really.

2. I like the very basic phonics they start with. My CVC-word-reading 4 year old has gotten through the first two books already. Other "beginning reader" sets I've met with require a student to be much further along in reading before they can crack the first book.

3. They provide extra reading practice that is separate and different from the curriculum.

4. My son can read them to Daddy at night or on a weekend.

But if they don't float you're boat, I say don't get them. If mom really dislikes something, it's hard to sell it to the kids, ykwim? Liking them is not a requirement. :)

I bought a few sets from the Scholastic Book Warehouse Sale when my boys were not even reading. When Nathan began phonics, it became clear that these were not necessary. He was a very fast learner, and the pictures gave too many clues for him. I much preferred a phonics program with no pictures. So, I sold them on Ebay.

Two summers ago, while my son, Ben, was working through Alpha Phonics, the Barnes and Noble reading program began. My son, Nathan, began reading books to count toward it. Ben, however, was too young to read any regular books, yet I hated to deny him the satisfaction of victory in this area. Having an older brother can spur one on sometimes. He wanted to read "real" books too.

I borrowed Bob Books from the library and allowed each story to count as one book for him, and then when we went to B&N to redeem Nathan's coupon for a free book, Ben was also able to participate. I bought him his book, and he was so happy.

Bob Books will always have a place in my heart. :)

For Ben, it really felt like he was reading a REAL book.

Qutoe .... "From the package illustration, the pictures look ugly and I can't figure out what is good about them. However, a lot of people use them and I hated to pass them up because I have heard they are good for teaching reading. But...why? I want to go back and get them if they will be worth it! "

It just goes to show that we are not all from the same cookie cutter and what is "cute" or "fun" to one person is "ugly" to another. These are not going to inspire you to enjoy the reading practice with your child because you do not like them. In my opinion, it would be better to find something else that you find appealing. It doesn't matter that others like them. You don't.

There are many other choices. You may want to take a look at the materials for reading practice on Sonlights website. I think others will have suggestions too.

ABeka sells readers.

They have been real hit and miss here.

But I have read that the illustrations are that way, so that you can easily draw them on your own, and make up your own stories about the characters.

I hadn't heard that but it makes sense. My DS (6) is reading through them now, I might have him make his own stories too, that is a great idea!