Menu

Class start times at aops for Europeans

Ds says he has had some Europeans in his classes, specifically in France. They talk about needing to get their midnight snack.😀 there was also a boy in India who would wake up at 4am for class.

We are lucky that it is right in the middle of the day for us. Only problem we have is that when the northern hemi springs forward, we fall back so the times of the classes keep changing.

Ruth in NZ

unfortunetly the American/ AoPS Sequence doesn't fit my Belgian Examrequirements, so after intro to Algebra we will switch trains for math.

Aops doesn't fit the exam schedule here either. But our university's requirement is the high school exam or higher. So we have gone with a portfolio of proofs to the maths department and gotten DS in for a single class each term. Once he does well in a university class, he has met the 'or higher' requirement, and they won't require him to take the highschool math exam. Have you explored this option?

Ruth in NZ

Ds says he has had some Europeans in his classes, specifically in France. They talk about needing to get their midnight snack.😀 there was also a boy in India who would wake up at 4am for class.

We are lucky that it is right in the middle of the day for us. Only problem we have is that when the northern hemi springs forward, we fall back so the times of the classes keep changing.

Ruth in NZ

I think my son has a little boy from India on his class. I have a new respect for those kiddos!

• Like 3

I am in Europe and the Python class would suit my son perfectly right now. But it lands smack in the middle of the night. AoPS will take an asynchrous learner, but that takes some of the allure away for us. Still considering it for next year, though.

• Like 1

Aops doesn't fit the exam schedule here either. But our university's requirement is the high school exam or higher. So we have gone with a portfolio of proofs to the maths department and gotten DS in for a single class each term. Once he does well in a university class, he has met the 'or higher' requirement, and they won't require him to take the highschool math exam. Have you explored this option?

Ruth in NZ

I haven't explored it, but if it would be possible I should have heard it somewhere in the past years I suppose.

A university doesn't accept someone without ( the right type of ) highschool diploma.

And even when you passed university, a employer has the right to ask for your diploma's.

Especially in the Netherlands, you can do almost nothing without a complete highschool diploma.

Portfolio's are not an accepted way of proof unless in artistic areas like painting, drawing, photography.

Earlier acces to university is a no go in Belgium, so several parents moved to the UK for early college entrance.

Universities are als not interested in 'extra's' you did in highschool, your hobbies, or social service.

Just your grades of your highschooldiploma counts in the accepting proces.

I am in Europe and the Python class would suit my son perfectly right now. But it lands smack in the middle of the night. AoPS will take an asynchrous learner, but that takes some of the allure away for us. Still considering it for next year, though.

Maybe we should be developing a taste of coffee for our kids. :)

I wish they had one section on Saturday morning. Everybody could make that one!

• Like 1

I haven't explored it, but if it would be possible I should have heard it somewhere in the past years I suppose.

A university doesn't accept someone without ( the right type of ) highschool diploma.

And even when you passed university, a employer has the right to ask for your diploma's.

Especially in the Netherlands, you can do almost nothing without a complete highschool diploma.

Portfolio's are not an accepted way of proof unless in artistic areas like painting, drawing, photography.

Earlier acces to university is a no go in Belgium, so several parents moved to the UK for early college entrance.

Universities are als not interested in 'extra's' you did in highschool, your hobbies, or social service.

Just your grades of your highschooldiploma counts in the accepting proces.

NZ doesn't have such a thing as a high school diploma or graduating from high school which probably makes it easier for Lewelma's son.

What appeals to me about AOPS for the future (apart from the maths) is that they have Friday classes and Friday night where they are is Saturday late morning/early afternoon in NZ. A lot of the other on line courses seem to be Mon to Thursday.

yup, ds did take a Saturday morning class last year. 

I wonder if it would not be a good idea for some Europeans to mention to AoPS that there would be interest in Saturday morning/early afternoon classes Eastern Standard Time.  There may not be the numbers; but then again they may not have thought about it.

• Like 1

University entrance here is exam based.  However, you do not have to take *high school* exams because the entrance requirements state 'highschool level or higher'.  So my ds will use his ABRSM post-secondary diploma to substitute for a high school exam in music. And for math he can enter university here for a single class under 'personal interest' with permission from the department, and once he passes one university math class, he has 'or higher.'  This stuff is NOT clearly stated on the university website.  It took me quite a bit of digging to uncover it.

So I am just saying, you may want to *check* exactly what is required for graduation. 

Ruth in NZ