Menu

How to help a kid learn letters and phonemic awareness

I suspected my ds may have dyslexia and I am starting to get him tested but I think my youngest may have it too but worse. It really early still I know but she is having the hardest time learning numbers and letters and I have been really trying with preschool prep videos, leap frog, sand paper letters and more. She also cannot rhyme and seems to have not have any phonemic awareness. My ds at least learned his letters and rhyming. I am so over teaching letters but I need to find something that works. She also has a motor planning delay.

Rhyming is taught as a physical, manipulatable process in Barton, so I really wouldn't worry about it.  Is there any chance she has an overall delay along with the motor planning?  

For my ds it was LIPS that finally made the connection between print and sound obvious to him.  I'm not sure how young we could have done that. At 5 it was ok.  Your dc is 4.5? 

They have a CTOPP normed to age 4.  In your position, I wouldn't hesitate to find a good neuropsych who tests for dyslexia and talk it through with them.  A dyslexia school might have K5 screening coming up for free if you give them a call.

• Like 2

She is 4.5. She has good language and social skills and scored fine in problem solving. She understands when I read to her and gets along well with other children of different ages and adults. She is in the special needs preschool but the only issues were the motor skills and how they affect self help skills. They do not do much academics which drives me a little crazy and she may not even be able to see an OT even though that is the whole reason she qualifies. At least she will have an IEP relating to motor skills.

I am thinking of getting ds tested at a neuro or educational psych once he reaches the deductible with tutoring even though it will be expensive even with insurance paying for some. He is going to get some tutoring covered but I haven't heard what their testing showed yet. I will mention her too but I can't do both at the same time. He can get 30 sessions partially covered.

Is LiPS useful for a kid without a speech delay? Her articulation and language are fine.

We have individual deductibles and it isn't reached yet so if he gets tested now I still have to pay the deductible portion plus 20 percent. Once he reaches the deductible through tutoring I only pay 20 percent. It will do nothing for dd though because she has her own deductible. I do worry that tutoring will affect the results.

It showed for my ds even with Barton, so you may be fine.  The other thing you could do is do the tutoring and take say a 2 week break.  Normal kid shouldn't regress that much.  With a disability, he may lose quite a bit of ground, making it crunchy enough that it shows.

She is on the young side.

For a reading program though I LOVE the I See Sam program.  www3rsplus.com and www.iseesam.com  They start out only learning 5 SOUNDS (not even the names of the letters) and blend them into 3 words and then start reading.  It moves SLOWLY from there with LOTS and LOTS of practice with each new sound and word.

When my daughter started this she could NOT blend, NOT rhyme, etc. but she learned to read using this program.

FWIW, my DS couldn't rhyme at 4.5. With him having had articulation disorder & mild expressive delay (unlike his little sister, however, his receptive language was strong), his SLP and I were concerned about possible CAPD. I even contacted a different SLP who offered Fast ForWord about doing that program. In between when I contacted her and when she responded, something "clicked" in his brain and all of a sudden he could rhyme. Within 3 months, he'd figured out how to decode and just took off in reading from there.

Doing LiPS, Earobics, or HearBuilders isn't going to hurt a "late bloomer", but I wouldn't spend a lot of $$$ on an intervention program for a 4.5 y.o. So FFW probably isn't the best program unless the child were already needing to see a SLP like my DS was.