Menu

Is this really weird? (FB)

DawnM

We have a woman who used to be a friend.  I say that because she has done some very bizarre things this past year (or we just started noticing it this past year) and we keep our distance.

Anyway, last year she said she started a Twitter account for her 11 year old daughter.  SHE posts on it as if she is the girl.  We found out now that she has started a FB account for  her daughter too and it looks very much like she is doing the same thing......posting as if she is the girl (the style of writing and the mannerism are exactly like her own.)

But she is posting things like, "I did this very wonderful thing today and Mommy was so proud of me and told me so."  or "Mommy made me a special meal today and I felt so special and loved."

The girl is 11, not 2.  I find the entire thing very odd and creepy.

Am I just reading too much into it because I truly don't care for the mother?

• Like 1

That is wierd and creepy. I don't know about Twitter, but on FB you can report the account as invalid (created for child actually underage, being used as alter ego for parent who has her own FB account).

I am not sure I can prove it.  And the child may know.....they are a weird overbearing family and the dynamics are strange.

And would they know I reported it?  They know I have reported them to someone else.  She was so enraged and has a blog where she talks about me (and some others who upset her.)  She doesn't know I can see the blog and at this point it is a source of entertainment because she is so off the rails.

• Like 1

It does sound a little ... unstable.

I could kind of see starting a fb account for a tween to sort of help them transition into the world of social media, considering it's inevitable they will use it on their own soon enough.  But the content would be something both the kid and parent would want their peers seeing.  What you have written above does not sound like anything an 11yo would want to say to her peers.

• Like 1

It's not a court of law, just reporting to FB. As far as I know, FB reports are anonymous with respect to the knowledge of the person being reported on, and I haven't read the burden of the fine print as to where FB considers the burden to lie, but probably on the person with the possibly-invalid account.

• Like 2

Definitely weird.

Having said that, IS the account the child's? We have social media pages for DD's blog/reptile education campaign, and I'm actually the administrator on them (and the about me page states this). Nothing goes on those pages without my approval.

Maybe she's doing it for grandparents- I know people who have facebook accounts for their cats and their infants.

It's wildly inappropriate to do it for a tween/teen, no question. But maybe that is the reason behind her choices?

• Like 1

Maybe she's doing it for grandparents- I know people who have facebook accounts for their cats and their infants.

It's wildly inappropriate to do it for a tween/teen, no question. But maybe that is the reason behind her choices?

If it's for the grandparents, the girl is old enough to post her own content,in her own words (despite it being against fb rules to have an account at that age). 

• Like 2

Oh my. Now she is posting (on her own page) about where she works (she teaches) and is bashing her students on FB and telling others how she "put them in their place."

UGH.

That is 15 pounds of bad judgement in a 5 pound sack.

• Like 14

Very weird.

Usually people who want to keep the grandparents up to speed have a blog  or they have their OWN FB page like the rest of us where we post a few photos and write few lines about them in our own names as our own selves.

Tibbie beat me to it, but if she's posing as a minor and inviting other minors as friends, law enforcement might investigate if they find out. I'm not assuming she's a pedophile, but plenty of pedophiles do that to contact potential victims.  She's at the least a very foolish person. Choosing to praise herself in her child's name is very bizarre behavior.  "She who praises herself is a chorus of one." Doing it in her child's hijacked "voice" hints at some sort of emotional/mental instability.

• Like 5

and why, why, why do people LIKE her statuses and say, "you have such a good Mom" or "You are blessed to have your mom"

Or on this last rant about her college students on the mom's last post, please post:

"You are teaching them a lesson they never learned at home.  Good for you!"

Are the people posting replies just as Bat Cr*p Crazy as she is?

and why, why, why do people LIKE her statuses and say, "you have such a good Mom" or "You are blessed to have your mom"

Or on this last rant about her college students on the mom's last post, please post:

"You are teaching them a lesson they never learned at home.  Good for you!"

Are the people posting replies just as Bat Cr*p Crazy as she is?

I wonder if all of the "friends" replying are even MORE fake accounts she has created to back her up. :ack2:

• Like 5

We have a woman who used to be a friend.  I say that because she has done some very bizarre things this past year (or we just started noticing it this past year) and we keep our distance.

Anyway, last year she said she started a Twitter account for her 11 year old daughter.  SHE posts on it as if she is the girl.  We found out now that she has started a FB account for  her daughter too and it looks very much like she is doing the same thing......posting as if she is the girl (the style of writing and the mannerism are exactly like her own.)

But she is posting things like, "I did this very wonderful thing today and Mommy was so proud of me and told me so."  or "Mommy made me a special meal today and I felt so special and loved."

The girl is 11, not 2.  I find the entire thing very odd and creepy.

Am I just reading too much into it because I truly don't care for the mother?

That is strange.  No 11 year old would write like that. 

Somebody had better check to see that her daughter is ok. 

Oh my. Now she is posting (on her own page) about where she works (she teaches) and is bashing her students on FB and telling others how she "put them in their place."

UGH.

I would be sorely tempted to take screen shots of all the school stuff and send it to the principal.

• Like 6

It's really strange. The other possibilities and motives speculated above are all possible.

It also might be in a (slightly) less weird way, perhaps the 11 year old is being "taught" to use social media by being told what to write by her mom. Maybe they are doing some kind of character development plan through mandatory posting on gratefulness? (Maybe DD is being passive aggressive and posting *exactly* what she is told to post, nothing more, nothing less.)

Ie:

Mom: "OK, dear tell me 3 things you are grateful for today."

DD: "Nothing. I don't know."

Mom: "Can't you see I made you supper?"

DD: "Yeah."

Mom: "Aren't you grateful?"

DD: "Sure. Whatever. It's good."

Mom: "You should feel special and loved!"

DD: "Fine. Thank you for supper. I feel special and loved."

Mom: "You should put that on facebook. You should post cheerful grateful things."

DD: "What should I put?"

Mom: "That your mommy made you a special meal today, and that you feel special and loved."

DD: "Fine. 'Mommy made me a special meal today and I felt so special and loved.' I did it. Can I go now?"

Mom: (Arrrrrrg! Why isn't this working???)

• Like 1

I would be sorely tempted to take screen shots of all the school stuff and send it to the principal.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if there’s a policy for school employees about what they are and are not allowed to post on FB as it relates to students and colleagues.  I also wouldn't be surprised if the principal wanted to know if this kind of thing was going on with one of his employees and students. 

I have a cousin whose husband posts on FB complaints about their son's ps teacher.  It's ridiculous.  Even if the complaints are legitimate, it's something to discuss with the teacher and principal, not something to comment on in social media.  So it goes both ways.

• Like 2

Guest submarines

It's really strange. The other possibilities and motives speculated above are all possible.

It also might be in a (slightly) less weird way, perhaps the 11 year old is being "taught" to use social media by being told what to write by her mom. Maybe they are doing some kind of character development plan through mandatory posting on gratefulness? (Maybe DD is being passive aggressive and posting *exactly* what she is told to post, nothing more, nothing less.)

Ie:

Mom: "OK, dear tell me 3 things you are grateful for today."

DD: "Nothing. I don't know."

Mom: "Can't you see I made you supper?"

DD: "Yeah."

Mom: "Aren't you grateful?"

DD: "Sure. Whatever. It's good."

Mom: "You should feel special and loved!"

DD: "Fine. Thank you for supper. I feel special and loved."

Mom: "You should put that on facebook. You should post cheerful grateful things."

DD: "What should I put?"

Mom: "That your mommy made you a special meal today, and that you feel special and loved."

DD: "Fine. 'Mommy made me a special meal today and I felt so special and loved.' I did it. Can I go now?"

Mom: (Arrrrrrg! Why isn't this working???)

Something like this was my first thought as well.