Menu

Need book after 'Nicholas and Alexandra'

My dd and I just finished 'Nicholas and Alexandra' by Robert Massie and loved it.  Since it begins recounting the Romanov's rule and ends with their death during Lenin's early rule, she is interested in reading about what is happening in, say, Germany during Nicholas's cousin 'Willy's' rule.  Any novels or histories to suggest?  About the time of WWI in general or specifically about US, Germany, England, etc.

Thank you!

Thank you!  I hadn't looked into more Massie yet.  Want to gain only exposure to the military situation w/out too many particulars -- we definitely like the domestic details.  I'll look into all of these recommendations.

Years ago I overheard many of you say to have lots of chocolate on hand when reading about the 20th century.  Although the beginning of the 'N & A' book was full of opulence and beauty, we knew, generally, what was coming.  It is all so sad, on so many levels!

You might try exploring this website: http://www.nicholasandalexandra.com

It has a linked forum where titles are discussed as well.

Awesome website...dd already exploring!

Another book you might appreciate, although it covers a lot of the same territory as Nicholas and Alexandra, is The Romanov Sisters: The Lost Lives of the Daughters of Nicholas and Alexandra (Helen Rappaport). It's definitely full of domestic details and is a very personal portrait of the family.

This might be a good step before we move onto another area.

Thank you!