Menu

5th grade math CLE/SM/MM?

Bree

So my 4th grader started with SM math and then when he was ready for TT we switched him over. He's half way through TT5 now. He is having a harder time remembering concepts I guess because not enough review. So I don't really love the idea of switching him around again, but I think it is for the best now, plus I don't want to have this problem with my others when we get to this point. So where should we go from here? I'm open to other programs also, these just seem to be the ones I've been looking through lately ;)

My DD doing fifth grade math is using Horizons. I couldn't be happier with it. It builds skills stealthily, and she doesn't even realize how difficult the concepts are becoming. She rips through the lessons with good scores and thinks she is awesome at math. :001_smile:

Math Mammoth is, in a word, amazing! I couldn't be happier with the foundation that it laid for my kids. Its been several months since we finished MM and my kids are still rock solid on arithmetic type skills that they learned and practiced via MM. They are good at breaking problems down and fluent at the computational parts so that they are able to focus on the conceptual/problem solving part.

It really is a conceptually strong program while having a gentle incremental style of teaching and I am 100% satisfied with it. Some people on this board have mentioned its too gently incremental--that there kids can see where they are headed before they get there--but that is not a problem that we had. There is nothing wrong with working through and understanding each step and at the end, my sons have usually been able to take and teach back the topic or the concept, so I'm perfectly happy with it

Since I have no hands on experience with SM or CLE--I think that I would get the 3rd-,4th- and 5th grade Math Mammoth review books to review and shore up any weaknesses he might have between now and the end of summer. If you already own MM Light Blue, then you can make do without the review workbooks but they make dandy resources to have on hand if you need an abbreviated version of MM.

TT didn't work well here, either, much as I love the program as a visual approach.

Math Mammoth is a great program. A lot of kids do great with MM. It does not work well with all kids. It can be used as a good supplement, though. And the cost isn't bad at all. I have used it and I liked it but it did not work well for my kids at all. I still refer to it periodically for additional targeted work on a particular topic.

CLE has been an excellent fit, super easy to do, lots of review, easy to accelerate or slow down, etc. Kids are doing well with CLE and I intend to keep going with this program. However, it is a bit weak in word problems. We are supplementing with Math in Focus Enrichment work books and Beast Academy for a bit different perspective. I don't think it is necessary but I do find the different approaches have definitely helped both kids to solidify understanding.

If you are going to switch, I would give placement tests. Different programs have different pacing/scope/sequence, etc. CLE is easy. Placement tests are free to download from their website. I would start a couple of levels back from where you think they should be and work forward. Target any gaps. Every level starts with a review unit of the previous year. Great way to solidify concepts that might not be totally solid yet. Each unit takes about 3 weeks but you can cut out the quizzes and tests to accelerate if needed. You can also cross off some of the review questions for areas your child has mastered so you can easily compress 2 lessons into one without making the assignment too long.

• Like 1