Menu

9yodd has had her first period.

Suzanne in ABQ

My dd started at age 11 and she;s now 13. She's definitely continued growing taller. I don't know that that is always a true thing.

First of all, chicken isn't permitted to have hormones in the US, as far as I understand, and my dd has always eaten grass-fed beef that WE raised ourselves, and drank milk that I milked from MY OWN cow. So....the dietary stuff just doesn't hold up IMO.

And as far as the unkind *fat kid* comments....my dd was the scrawniest, skinniest little thing and my dd's friends' moms were all stunned that she started so early, earlier than her heavier friends. So that's not true either.

Thankfully, her cycles were VERY irregular (like less than 4 a year)  until the last 3-4 months. So with your 9 yo, this is likely to not be a huge change in her life for awhile.

BTW, tell her that it;s ok if things are irregular for a bit. Just to reassure her that it is normal.

It does hurt my feelings when I hear other moms with children who are slower to develop laughing about 9 year olds with breasts and how horrible their diet must be. I usually just walk away from those conversations. I am trying to help her embrace it all as the strong and beautiful girl she is!

You also have our permission to slap them.  

• Like 2

Thank you, All.  Your comments and experiences have been very helpful.  I am no longer concerned.  We'll just wait and see what happens.  Maybe she won't have another for awhile.

She handled it all beautifully, and it's over for now.  I'll keep some pads in my purse, just in case.  We're almost always together, so that should be adequate for awhile.  

She did have a huge growth spurt recently, but she's still well under 5 feet.  I will count on her growing more in the years to come.  I'm 5'6'' and her sister is 5'9''.  

I didn't know that hormones are forbidden in US poultry.  That's good.  One less thing to worry about.