Menu

Book a Week 2015 - wk 13: all things virginia woolf

Robin M

NO LONGER FREE!

Here's a book that's currently free to Kindle readers that definitely sounds intriguing ~

Auraria: A Novel by Tim Westover

From Publishers Weekly

Starred review. "This baroque alternate history reimagines the town where America’s first gold rush started, weaving tall tales and legends, Carrollian surrealism, and a fascinating cast of characters into a genuinely inventive novel that reads like steampunk via Mark Twain. Auraria, Ga., was the site of a gold strike that presaged the California gold rush by 20 years and was the original cause of the Cherokees’ forced exodus along the Trail of Tears. Westover describes it as a town of spirits and portents, populated by piano-playing ghosts, potatoes that bite back with “starchy fangs,†and snowball hens that lay ice cream eggs. The valley proves more than a match for the speculator Shadburn and his lieutenant, Holtzclaw, whose plan to create a lakefront resort falls victim to the lust for gold. Meanwhile, Cherokee princess Trahlyta is determined to rid her domain of the alluring but useless metal. Fact and fancy are intertwined cleverly and seamlessly in a top-notch, thoroughly American fantasy."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

Happy Easter to all!

Re: front doors - our house is yellow and our door is white, which looks marvelous in the snow and a bit boring the rest of the year.  In my parallel universe though, I live on a craggy Mediterranean rock in a house of old white stone with a cobalt blue door to match the sky at sunset.  Right.

I read 'The Winner Stands Alone' by Paulo Coelho today. It was very ugly.

I have a whole pile of his books that I must have picked up at a library sale or something.  Every time I crack one of the covers I seem to sigh and say, not now.

• Like 7

Good morning, friends! What a lot of catching up to do! A quick list of books read while taking a break from overindulgence in chicken, cheese, and chocolate:

11. Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

12. J. Frank Dobie, Coronado's Children

13. Henry James, The Golden Bowl

14. Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky, The Letter Killers Club (thank you Jane! Dh has it on his tbr stack now)

15. Poems of Dante Gabriel Rossetti

16. Conrad, Lord Jim

Currently reading: A dear pious older lady of our community lent me a devotional book that I must finish skimming for duty's sake but am not really enjoying. A review on the back cover calls it "a modern-day Introduction to the Devout Life." Which only made me want to re-read the actual Introduction, which is vastly superior. So St. Francis de Sales is my current Easter reading. And also Our Man in Havana, because Graham Greene.

• Like 6

Good morning, friends! What a lot of catching up to do! A quick list of books read while taking a break from overindulgence in chicken, cheese, and chocolate:

11. Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass

12. J. Frank Dobie, Coronado's Children

13. Henry James, The Golden Bowl

14. Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky, The Letter Killers Club (thank you Jane! Dh has it on his tbr stack now)

15. Poems of Dante Gabriel Rossetti

16. Conrad, Lord Jim

Currently reading: A dear pious older lady of our community lent me a devotional book that I must finish skimming for duty's sake but am not really enjoying. A review on the back cover calls it "a modern-day Introduction to the Devout Life." Which only made me want to re-read the actual Introduction, which is vastly superior. So St. Francis de Sales is my current Easter reading. And also Our Man in Havana, because Graham Greene.

Welcome back VC! You have been missed.

• Like 6

I have a whole pile of his books that I must have picked up at a library sale or something.  Every time I crack one of the covers I seem to sigh and say, not now.

I like a lot of his books, but no, now, is not always the right time for them!

• Like 4