Menu

A conversation and a question...(REWARDS Intermediate)

I'll start with my question:

My oldest DD is still making good progress with her reading -- her current free reading is My Father's Dragon (and she just finished The Water Horse), so I think she's near grade level (maybe 3rd or 4th?). We've not completely finished a phonics program, so there are some advanced phonograms she doesn't yet know (tion/sion/cian, for example), and she really struggles with multisyllabic words.

We use CLE Reading, which she *loves*, but I've decided to pause it for the rest of the year and do REWARDS Intermediate by Sopris. It's rated 4-6th grade, so I'm worried it might be too much or above her level? Anyone have experience with this -- especially below the recommended age level? DD is nearing 9, end of 3rd grade. I'm hoping we could use it now and through the summer, and next year pick up CLE at grade level (we currently use it a year behind).

Now for the conversation:

DD saw me looking at the samples for REWARDS, so I told her my intentions and what the program will help her with. She was beyond excited, asking if we could start the program tomorrow. (Um, no, I just ordered it.) :D I never would've thought this child would be begging to start yet another reading program -- she's always been my push-backer! But she's thrilled about the prospect of reading long words with confidence and possibly reading The Hobbit and such. :p

I used REWARDS Secondary with my older son (who has dyslexia) when he was in 4th grade (age 9) and Intermediate with my younger son (who does not have dyslexia and was an early reader) when he was in 1st grade.  The older one gained something like five grade levels in comprehension by the end of the program.  I don't remember what happened with the younger one's reading (he was already reading well) but he *loved* the program and begged to do it each day.

I'm sure your daughter will do just fine with the program.  Just go at her pace (don't try to push through lessons just to get them done).

My older ds gained a couple of grade levels when we did Rewards Intermediate at age 8 too. I'm just about to start it with my younger ds as well. As long as she is at that multi-syllable reading level or struggling to break those down and reading smaller words, she should be fine. There is plenty of white space on the pages and the sections are easily broken down over multiple days.

• Like 1

This is intriguing. I have a 7.5 that is reading at about the level you're all describing for starting Rewards Intermediate. He could really use some fluency help, though I am a bit surprised at the sticker price.

It's one of those times that I just close my eyes and hit "buy."

;) ;)

• Like 1

I looked into Rewards and information I found was that it is for students who have a "solid 2nd grade reading level" which mean that they were very comfortable with one-syllable words.  That means you should know things like "oy" "ea" "ou" that are part of one-syllable words.  It doesn't mean "tion" or "sion" that are parts of multi-syllable words.  

To me it sounds like it is a good level.  

How cool that she is excited!!!!!!!

• Like 2

This is intriguing. I have a 7.5 that is reading at about the level you're all describing for starting Rewards Intermediate. He could really use some fluency help, though I am a bit surprised at the sticker price.

Anybody use the writing?

The student workbook is relatively inexpensive; it is the teacher's guide that is not. Perhaps you can either find one secondhand or resell when finished to help moderate the sticker shock.

The student workbook is relatively inexpensive; it is the teacher's guide that is not. Perhaps you can either find one secondhand or resell when finished to help moderate the sticker shock.

I might look into that. The more I'm talking with DH and considering, it's not so bad. It's going to cover phonics/reading, spelling, and vocabulary all to some extent, not just one thing. In the grand scheme of things, I've spent pocket change on phonics (borrowing, finding sales, making some of my own stuff). I kind of get stuck on prices for my second child simply because it will be used once for us. The stuff I buy for older child is more likely to be used again. 

And maybe I can sell it later when I'm finished.

I looked into Rewards and information I found was that it is for students who have a "solid 2nd grade reading level" which mean that they were very comfortable with one-syllable words. That means you should know things like "oy" "ea" "ou" that are part of one-syllable words. It doesn't mean "tion" or "sion" that are parts of multi-syllable words.

To me it sounds like it is a good level.

How cool that she is excited!!!!!!!

Great info, thanks! DD is very comfy with vowel teams and one syllable words.

Makes me feel better about starting it now!

I might look into that. The more I'm talking with DH and considering, it's not so bad. It's going to cover phonics/reading, spelling, and vocabulary all to some extent, not just one thing. In the grand scheme of things, I've spent pocket change on phonics (borrowing, finding sales, making some of my own stuff). I kind of get stuck on prices for my second child simply because it will be used once for us. The stuff I buy for older child is more likely to be used again. 

And maybe I can sell it later when I'm finished.

FYI, Rewards was not enough to replace OG spelling for us, although it did reinforce the work we were doing in AAS. The vocab is also minimal but it is there. It is mostly a phonics/reading program (albeit a very successful one).