Menu

Mono

Anne

With mono, he just needs to rest. If he pushes himself too hard, it will take longer to recover.

I discovered this the hard way. Both my dds and I caught mono last year and it did not go away till we completely rested and healed. It took me about 6 months to feel somewhat normal. My kiddos were a little quicker.

He just needs rest and good nutrition :)

• Like 6

Don't fool around if the sore throat gets awful. I came darn close to dying as a teen from mono because the sore throat was so terrible I couldn't swallow water and ended up dangerously dehydrated. Get pain meds if the sore throat is bad enough to interfere with hydration.

• Like 4

When my oldest dd got mono, we were told the most important thing was rest. If she overdid it, she paid for it just sleeping for a day or more. I'd wake her up every couple of hours and make her drink a little water. She got dehydrated easily and I was trying to prevent that so we wouldn't have another hospital visit. She was probably down for a couple of weeks and was then able to add a little stuff back into her day. She went back to work after a month and it tired her easily, but she had a good balance of working, resting and eating healthy. I'd say it took about 3 months before she was back to her normal self. It wasn't an easy thing to recover from. Rest, rest, rest. That's the body healing.

• Like 1

Sorry, there really isn't anything to be done.  Allow them to rest as much as possible, push the fluids, and choose nourishing foods like soups made with bone broths as much as possible.

When I had mono it took me two months to be able to leave the house and go back to school.  It probably took another month before I stopped feeling so exhausted at the end of the day, and then I was restricted in activity for a full year.  The liver and kidneys can swell with mono and they take a full year to go down to normal size.

• Like 2

There isn't a way to get through mono faster than it's going to take. But, if you don't rest or push yourself you can end up taking longer to get better.

Take mono seriously, because it can really knock you for a loop. 

You want to baby your liver, it gets inflamed during mono, so eat cleanly. I don't know how old the person is, but absolutely no alcohol for a while, at least 6 months, if not a year. Your liver metabolizes excess fats, protein and additives from your body, so don't make it work too hard. The good thing is that the liver is an amazing thing and if allowed, it will heal itself.

I had a terrible case of mono in college and it took me at least a year to feel like myself. But, I was really sick before I knew it was more than just end of semester exhaustion. By then I had jaundice and I lost 20 lbs in a month. I had kept pushing myself, thinking I just needed to work harder. Finally I had a bit of a collapse and got diagnosed, but by then they thought it was all kinds of terrible things. It was a relief to find out it was 'just' mono.

So rest and take care of your liver!

• Like 2

I had mono in college, and contrary to most other experiences you hear about, i did not have a difficult recovery.  I was diagnosed and hospitalized near the end of spring break (hospitalized because my throat had swollen so much the dr. was afraid it would swell shut, so he admitted me for fluids and steroids) but missed only the first day of class after spring break.  I was back to school and work by that Tuesday and carried on as normal from then on.  I think perhaps my rapid recovery was due to having the IV steroids, so in a way, perhaps it was a good thing my throat swelled so much.