Menu

Does this Language Arts program exist?

Kendall

This is for next year for my current 1st/3rd grader though the 1st  grader is pretty much at the same level as the 3rd.  I have Rod and Staff grammar 4; I will use that with both of them next year, so I don’t need a grammar program, but if you have something that sounds like what I want that includes grammar I will consider it.

I would like something that has poems (and I would like some prose, too) for discussion. We would discuss the vocabulary and meaning and notice similes and other figures of speech and other things about the poem or prose.  Maybe also instructions for doing some prose retellings of poems and retellings of the prose(thought I could do that without instructions).  We have done some of this with English for the Thoughtful Child, but I’d like something with some explanations for the teacher about the meaning of difficult bits in the poems.  Does this exist? 

Thanks

I know Easy Peasy All-in-one homeschool has a fair amount of poetry in its language arts curriculum (most of what I looked at was grade 2) which you could look at. It is mostly written to the student however.

Prose retellings of poems are done in WWE at various points also.

And I have seen the opposite done in Reasoning and Writing where they give you the prose and you rearrange it into a rhyming poem with help. 

I do not know of a purely poetry curriculum though.

• 4 weeks later...

I have found part of the program that I was looking for, except it is a little too hard for the ages that I was targeting.  It was sitting on my own bookshelf - The Art of Poetry.  I started using it this week with my older children.  The younger ones are listening in some, but I will look at the other things you all mentioned for my younger ones.  

Do you know if MCT is a program that you can view at a homeschool conference?

I have found part of the program that I was looking for, except it is a little too hard for the ages that I was targeting. It was sitting on my own bookshelf - The Art of Poetry. I started using it this week with my older children. The younger ones are listening in some, but I will look at the other things you all mentioned for my younger ones.

Do you know if MCT is a program that you can view at a homeschool conference?

The lowest level of MCT targets gifted 3rd graders, and it think the poetry book is the toughest piece. Examine the samples carefully, because it doesn't sound to me that it would match your wishes. MCT is more grammar, less lit discussion. Instead take a look at Classics for Young Readers, K12 lit books (you can start at grade 3), and get the student guide from Amazon. Those books have a great selection of poetry and prose. The student guide will help you with the type of discussion you want to have and provide written assignments as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Classics-Young-Readers-Volume-3A/dp/1931728348/ref=pd_sim_b_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CFP6W35Z48RHHH98T9F

http://www.amazon.com/Classics-Young-Readers-3B/dp/1931728356/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0DWW8MM2FK9KX9Q1VB3K

http://www.amazon.com/Literature-Student-Pages-Semesters/dp/B001R2GUN6/ref=pd_sim_b_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SSZ9770DJRXQYH3FTY7

I have found part of the program that I was looking for, except it is a little too hard for the ages that I was targeting.  It was sitting on my own bookshelf - The Art of Poetry.  I started using it this week with my older children.  The younger ones are listening in some, but I will look at the other things you all mentioned for my younger ones. 

I really, really like Art of Poetry.

Classical Writing has a poetry set that is aimed more at 5th-6th. Perhaps you could use it slowly or sprinkle lessons between other grammar/writing lessons? They intend it to be staggered with their other composition books. Poetry for Beginners